The Geo Method

DKRITTER

We are going to try the Geo Method and have a silly question regarding liquid Calgon. Hard water is not an issue where we live so most stores do not even sell Calgon, the only place we have found only sells liquid Calgon.

The Google site says to dissolve 2 cups of powder per tank. Reading the box on Amazon that is about 4 times more than it says to use in one load of laundry. So, I now have a basis to go on, I think. The liquid says use one cap per laundry load so, I guess I’ll use 4 capfulls per tank.

Question for the experienced Geo Method folks is this an accurate assumption?

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

I gave up on all chemicals years ago. I put a 1/2 c. of Blue Dawn in each tank and add Polident tabs(sometimes, mostly not). We dump about once a week and have never had any odors. We looked into the Geo method and decided to try the Blue Dawn first. Works well and that is where we stopped. 

9 minutes ago, DKRITTER said:

We are going to try the Geo Method

It is a part of what some of us call RV Mythology. If you use enough water in your black tank most things won't harm it. Years ago when the creator of that myth was actively promoting its use, I contacted the Calgon company to ask them about that use and they not only disclaimed any support of the use, they stated very clearly that they do not recommend or endorse that use of it.  

10 minutes ago, SWharton said:

i gave up on all chemicals years ago.

Most of the experienced fulltimers that I have known over the years, eventually figure out that no chemicals of any kind are actually needed in the black tank, just was we did. In our last 9 years on the road we never used any chemicals at all and we still do not. I do put some laundry detergent and water into the black & gray tanks after I dump so that it will slosh about while traveling and then dump as soon as I stop just to periodically clean the tanks. I use laundry detergent because it doesn't make foam when agitated and I fill each tank to at least 1/3 full. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

CHEMICALS. - - There are *NO* chemicals when using the GEO Method - unless you consider laundry detergent and water softener... "chemicals" !!

Bleach (per C.Bruni's site):  *Occasionally*, I pour a half-gallon of chlorine bleach into each tank to sanitize and disinfect them.  I add the bleach when the tank is about half full. I no longer use the blue toilet chemical because it isn't necessary.".

Encourage the un-informed to visit his site and read the (lengthy)  how-to and why info - and then visit the blog spot link for contributions (comments)  by those that use his 'method".

If the following link doesn't work, Google :  "GEO Method cbruni"

GEO Method

For the OP - there are other *powdered* water softeners on supermarket shelves. (Ex: "White Rain"). Powdered Calgon can be ordered via Amazon.  Users (self included) use a cup (not a cap) of liquid Calgon.

BTW:  Normal usage - lots of water.  GEO Method when you feel so inclined.  It works!

Pappy, name me one thing that isn't a chemical.  I'm a chemist and. EVERYTHING is chemical.  H2O is a most UNIQUE chemical that behaves different,y than most oxides, very differently which is why carbon based life evolved on this planet.  Yes, laundry detergents are chemicals.   They are made up of several different types of chemicals, just read the label.

Why would anyone feel the need to sanitize a waste tank?  You planning on using that waste for some purpose?  Disinfect the tank for what?  The minute they are used ......  

water is a universal solvent for non-petroleum matter.  Human wastes dissolve when placed in water.  What is needed is PLENTY OF WATER.  Adding something else might make you feel good, but the reason you aren't having problems is USING PLENTY OF WATER.  

Really want to help, add vinegar to bowl water and let it sit to help remove calcium build up from seals.  Scrub toilet with baking soda, enough grit to help remove particulate matter and it buffers the pH in the tank.  Pour noiling water down kitchen sink once in a while.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I believe in the KISS methodology. I use Blue Dawn for my dishes, works well in my tanks. I don't need to buy anything additional to what I normally carry. I also save $$$ by buying the giant economy size of Blue Dawn from Sam's.

6 hours ago, DKRITTER said:

Question for the experienced Geo Method folks is this an accurate assumption?

Yes. I used the Geo Method when I was part time RVing. 

Now that I full time I typically just dump our dishwater down the black tank and flush the tank 2 - 3 times with water before leaving the campground. Once in a while I'll dump some bleach into both gray and black tanks.

When we part timed, we usually camped in state parks that had no sewer and water hookups. So the only way to flush the black tank with water was when we left the campground . . . in a long line with impatient campers who would have shot us if we just flushed and flushed and flushed our tank.

Nothing wrong with the Geo Method, dishwater, bleach, just water, ice cubes, yadah, yadah, yadah. . . I waiting for someone to use electricity.

Use what works for your situation.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We started extensive RV travel 13 years ago and for the first year we used chemicals in our black tank.  Sometimes I would forget to add the chemicals and didn't notice any difference.  So I just stopped using any additives except water to our black & gray tanks.  

As Kirk said most fulltime or longtime RV'ers don't add anything to their tanks except water. 

I DO flush the black tank whenever we dump.  I don't tie up the dump station for more than about 5-8 minutes longer to flush if someone is waiting. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

There are *NO* chemicals when using the GEO Method - unless you consider laundry detergent and water softener... "chemicals" !!

Whatever do you think is in  water softener? What it does is to cause the minerals to precipitate out and settle to the bottom as solids.

We don't use any tank chemicals and leave our tank valves open when parked, even up to 3 months sometimes. We do put 2 packets of dish soap into the black tank when we do move, which is usually a hundred miles or more. Our method is to use lots of water and we don't put any paper products into the tanks. Full timing for almost 5 years and no problems yet.

Grg

21 minutes ago, Tahoe Shark said:

Probably a dumb question but how do you not put paper in the black tank?

You probably don't want to know. BUT, if they leave the black water valve open as they claim, paper is the least of their worries. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

9 hours ago, Big5er said:

You probably don't want to know. BUT, if they leave the black water valve open as they claim, paper is the least of their worries. 

It depends partly on how your toilet black tank is configured and even more on how lucky you are, but I sure don't want to be around when he discovers the reason we advise keeping the valve shut most of the time!  If you do most risky things long enough you will one day have to pay the price. :wub:

I have been doing this method for 5 years now and haven't had any plug ups yet. I guess I will go another 5 years and then declare the nay-sayers were wrong. We have always had septic tank systems in our SB house and also never put paper products in the tank, always used a waste basket. Our neighbors would have septic plugging issues but we never did. One time after 10 years, I opened the SB tank to look inside and it was all liquids, no solids present. KEEP THE PAPER OUT, it's not natural

Edit - True that most papers will dissolve in water, the problem is the dissolving process turns the water into slurry taking away from the water benefit.

Greg

Off hand, I can't think of anything much more "natural" than cellulose, the primary ingredient in toilet paper, trees, plants, etc...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I have been doing this method for 5 years now and haven't had any plug ups yet. I guess I will go another 5 years and then declare the nay-sayers were wrong. We have always had septic tank systems in our SB house and also never put paper products in the tank, always used a waste basket. Our neighbors would have septic plugging issues but we never did. One time after 10 years, I opened the SB tank to look inside and it was all liquids, no solids present. KEEP THE PAPER OUT, it's not natural

Greg

I think you can declare the nay-sayers wrong after 5 years.  I can't argue with your success, it obviously works for YOU.

However, there is always the however or "but" isn't there. 

For someone wanting to replicate Greg's success with leaving the black tank drain valve open all the time, consider the following:

--  IF your black tank has a pretty good slope to the drain side of the tank.  Not easy to see if your RV does or not.

--  IF you use a goodly amount of water with your poop.  Adding enough water to the toilet bowl before using it to poop, would really help. 

--  IF additionally you added a goodly amount of water before peeing would be good as well. 

--  Probably not putting the paper down the toilet helps as well.

--  IF you black tank and drain plumbing is very well designed.  Really hard to know how well designed.  Different model RV's from the same mfg could be poorly designed and give almost immediate problems (within a couple of weeks or months).

There is always the risk of someone trying the "leave the black tank valve open" method, that they wind up with a large hard pile of poop all the way up to the bottom of the toilet drain pipe. 

One way I would consider trying the method, would be if I can see the bottom of my black tank by looking down the toilet.  Then try this method, but look down the toilet with a flashlight every few days to a week to see if the pyramid is building up.  If so then the method is not for you.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We've been in our current RV for 4 years and have never added anything to the black water tanks.  We use plenty of water and "Wednesday is hump day is dump day" for us.  I use the tank sprayer to fill the tank to full, pull the handle and let it dump and then leave the sprayer on for about 15 minutes.  I then "charge" the system by letting the water run into the tank with the valve closed for a few minutes.  Then we are good to "go" for another week.

I always thought the deal about putting something in the tank so it could slosh around when moving wasn't going to be effective.  I've watched a cup of coffee while we moved and it doesn't "slosh" at all.  I guess if a person drove their RV like they were a stunt driver they might get enough slosh to clean a bit  Otherwise, rather than slosh it just "jiggles" a bit.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

4 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

Greg

Paper will dissolve in water, you just have to use the correct type for septic tanks and RVs.  Simple test, put a sheet or two in a jar, cover with water, cap and shake up.  Septic safe (and RV safe) will be dissolving almost immediately.    That idea that you can leave your black tank open all the time you're hooked up is the one that will eventually get you - but it is your choice.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Scott,

Try I-5 from Santa Clarita to Patterson, CA or I-5 from Sutherlin, Or to Portland (lots of construction and 'bumps' that will rattle your kidneys".  Those will slosh whatever you are driving.:D

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

8 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Scott,

Try I-5 from Santa Clarita to Patterson, CA or I-5 from Sutherlin, Or to Portland (lots of construction and 'bumps' that will rattle your kidneys".  Those will slosh whatever you are driving.:D

Good point - I10 across Louisiana might also get some sloshing going on.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

17 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Whatever do you think is in  water softener? What it does is to cause the minerals to precipitate out and settle to the bottom as solids.

Kirk -

Yes - I've always read the "contents" of water softeners, including the contents of both Calgon and others, like White Rain.

So, can't argue the merits -or lack thereof-  of that one!  Or- the DILUTED strength of same when poured in a black tank.  

Guess I'll have to tell the DW to stop using water softener and laundry detergent for home laundry. Wouldn't want chemically contaminated clothes touching my body!

The bottom line (as I posted) was essentially -like everyone has said- use plenty of water.... and GEO Method - IF YOU'RE SO INCLINED.

Different strokes for different folks!  Whatever works for you.

1 hour ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

I always thought the deal about putting something in the tank so it could slosh around when moving wasn't going to be effective.

You need to drive a firetruck or some other vehicle with a large liquid tank that is only half filled if you want to test that theory. It isn't the travel over the interstate highways that does the work, it is the stops, starts, and turns through traffic as you near the next stop that does most of the cleaning. If you want a really complete cleaning action, drive across the city and back a few times. :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

You need to drive a firetruck or some other vehicle with a large liquid tank that is only half filled if you want to test that theory. It isn't the travel over the interstate highways that does the work, it is the stops, starts, and turns through traffic as you near the next stop that does most of the cleaning. If you want a really complete cleaning action, drive across the city and back a few times. :rolleyes:

Drove - or was the Company Officer- on/of Fire Apparatus for 30 years in a large municipality. Most had 400 gallon tanks, one had 2500 gallons - all triple combination pumpers.  Unfortunately(?) we never left them "half-filled". 

however, had some "experiences" with what "mixes", "cleans"  (remaining residue) and what doesn't. - when added to those tanks.

Taught foam classes as training officer.  Back in the "early" days when fire fighting foams were mostly fish-based, the National Foam salesman would "demo" same during his sales pitch - by taking a drink!

No clue whether that cleaned his tank or not.

~

Archived