RESOLVED: Help! BROKE DOWN!!

chooseopen

On our first outing in the 2007 Vnl670 and am broke down on the side of the road.  Tow truck is 5 hours away so I thought I would see if you guys have any ideas.

I was driving along at 63 mph and hit some big pot holes. The engine immediately died and the ABS light came on.  The engine will crank bit won't start.  Ideas?

So far I have:

1. Checked the fuses in the main panel.

2. Check for error codes.  I do have an ABS code

3. Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes.

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

In the future also check the coolant sensor at the radiator fill tank for broken wires. Don't ask me how I know this. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

In the future also check the coolant sensor at the radiator fill tank for broken wires. Don't ask me how I know this. 

Yep low coolant will shut it down also had small hose come off coolant reservoir . Lost coolant below sensor and truck shut down.

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

With low coolant you will also get a red triangle in the middle of the display, don't know if he got that or if it just shut off.

My truck did the same thing.  Instead of the cable at the battery, it was the battery cable at the terminal block on the firewall.  Just a little bit loose, but the whole damn truck shut down and would not do anything.   Moral:  it's usually the simple thing and not something catastrophic.

My first thought was, "Maybe he is nearby and I can bring him a phillips screwdriver or can of armor-all to help."  ;)  But then I realized I had no idea of your location.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On a new-to-you truck that is fairly old then I'd replace that coolant sensor. If you do get a nuisance alarm on it you can unplug it and it will run fine. Just make sure you do not have an issue.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1 hour ago, Jack Mayer said:

On a new-to-you truck that is fairly old then I'd replace that coolant sensor. If you do get a nuisance alarm on it you can unplug it and it will run fine. Just make sure you do not have an issue.

Unplug the problem sensor that cuts off the engine every time you make a sharp turn (check).  Driving on Florida I-10.  Alarm goes off screaming in my ears - what the????  Engine overheat alarm - goes immediately to shut down.  The "L" coolant hose to the air compressor had ruptured - if you have a Volvo D12 you really need to have a spare "L" and "U" hose with you as your RV water hose will kink when trying to make an emergency repair.  I was lucky as I had a short piece of 1/2" nylon air line on board that I could bend without kinking to make the L and couple with pieces of white water hose and some extra gear clamps. Anyway - even with the coolant sensor unplugged if something goes wrong you still get shutdown before the engine is harmed.  You just lose 7 gallons of antifreeze and a good white water hose :(.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

As Randy wisely notes. lots of things can go wrong on an older truck.  That is why it is critical to perform preemptive maintenance. Replace suspect things BEFORE they break. Of course, you can get carried away with that, but major "show stoppers" are wise things to get around to replacing once you obtain the truck. This will cost you some dollars, but it is better to do it on a schedule than on the side of the road. At least in my opinion. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your support.  After about 8 days travelling we are back home for a couple days (before we go back out again).  I wanted to take a moment to recap this experience.

We were on our maiden voyage.  We had been driving from central IL all day and were actually looking for a place to stop for the night.  Suddenly I hit a huge pothole and the truck engine instantly died.  My wife and kids were following behind us in a separate vehicle so our whole convoy pulls to the shoulder.  We were on the side of Interstate 71 which was very busy! Despite me deploying flares and wearing an orange vest, plenty of assholes refused to move into the far lane. PLEASE PLEASE MOVE OVER FOR DISABLED MOTORISTS! 

I immediately begin diagnostics.  The truck still had power, and would crank, but would not fire up.  I checked lots of simple things...  the fuses, disconnected battery to reset the computer, checked for leaking fluids, etc.  It was dark outside so each time I went to drivers side of the vehicle I had to play 'chicken' with the oncoming traffic.

Eventually I gave up and started searching the Internet for either Mobile Repair and/or towing services.   I learned a couple things...

1. On a Saturday night of a holiday weekend, most of the tow shops dont answer their phones.

2. There really isn't such thing as "mobile repair".  I talked to two such companies and they both just wanted to tow the rig.  It really would have been nice to have a technician come assess the truck on the roadside to avoid a large tow bill.

At this point it is starting to get late.  A OH State Trooper stops and is friendly.  He deploys a couple more flares and give me a couple of business cards for local tow companies.  He also gently reminds me that I have 48 hours to move.

I suddenly remember that my Progressive insurance has tow coverage!!!  Since this is a our maiden voyage, I really hadn't prepared well for this type of situation.  I decide to get on the phone with Progressive's 3rd party Roadside Assistance and my family decides to get a hotel room about 15 miles up the road.  Sooo I am now sitting on the side of the road all by myself.  

I learned a couple important things about Progressive's Roadside Assistance:

1.  They really had trouble grasping the concept that my HDT "motorhome" was a converted semi-truck...and that it was pulling a 40ft camper.  

2.  When you call roadside assistance you need to be able to tell them where you want the truck towed to.  Progressive's computers ONLY list RV repair centers.  They wanted to tow me to Camping World, lol!  This is a bit of a crap-shoot afterhours because you really have no way to call a repair shop to see if they are willing to take you.  I guess you are supposed to just tow your truck there and hope when they open in the morning that they are willing to work on it. :huh:

3.  The customer service guy had to call 20+ tow companies before he found one willing to take the job.  AND it was going to require a 7 hour wait.

4.  Progressive wants you to stay with the vehicle.  My wait time was going to be 7 hours!!!!! :angry:

At this point in time I settled into the cab of the truck and prepared for a long night on the side of the road.  I decided to make this forum post and also did some google searching for Volvo VNL diagnostic ideas.  It was you guys that inspired me to go back out and look in the battery box one more time.  Remember it is pitch-black outside and traffic is whizzing by at 70mph.  It is then that I noticed the broken wire.  It was a small gauge wire that went to the positive terminal, but apparently pretty important.  I got it wired back up and was sooooo relieved when the truck started up.

The family had already went to sleep in the hotel 20 minutes away so I went to that town and found an rv-friendly Dicks Sporting Goods parking lot to "boondock" for the night.

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

• chooseopen changed the title to RESOLVED: Help! BROKE DOWN!!

Happy to hear that all is good!!

thanks for updating. It is so nice to see a relatively simple solution to a serious situation.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

It's all in the presentation................

On our way back from Alaska, we broke down about 60 miles north of Destruction Bay.  Wife took the smart to look for help.  She called our towing service (Good Sam) from Destruction Bay.  It was about 7:00p on a Friday evening.  She got off on the wrong foot when she told the kid we needed our rig towed, and send the big wrecker because we had a semi.  All he heard was semi, and kept saying they didn't tow commercial. 

Be careful how you word your request.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

On our way back from Alaska, we broke down about 60 miles north of Destruction Bay.  Wife took the smart to look for help.  She called our towing service (Good Sam) from Destruction Bay.  It was about 7:00p on a Friday evening.  She got off on the wrong foot when she told the kid we needed our rig towed, and send the big wrecker because we had a semi.  All he heard was semi, and kept saying they didn't tow commercial. 

Sell the sizzle , not the steak . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

And don't tell them you are hooked to a horse trailer if you need a tire changed.  They don't do horse trailers either. Now if I need them I am hooked to a "utility trailer".

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

• 4 months later...

Check your coolant level in the reservoir, Volvo added a sensor to protect the engine from overheating it the coolant level gets too low.

Grayling & Shirley

2000 Volvo 420, single Axle, 370 ISM, 10 speed

2001 Holiday Rambler Presidential 37' SKT

US Army MSG (Ret) Transportation Corps

(see You Tube Channel Max1Chase1)

Archived