Is a 2000 Freightliner FL60 truck enough for my needs?

leavingsoon

Hello everyone,

I'm back with more questions to further my education about trucks :)  ..... I have been following the MDT and HDT sections. 

We have purchased a new to us trailer that is too heavy for our current F350 so I am trying to learn what my next truck should be....MDT or HDT. I see the pros/cons with each and understand the decision ultimately comes down to individual circumstances. The first thing I must confess is I am not really knowledgeable about trucks and the drivetrain components so as to help know what I need....so I am asking for advice to help make a wise decision.

I have found a truck I am interestyed in and think it will serve my purposes but can't find any info on the towing capabilities. I am hoping you can give me some feedback. The truck is a ....

2000 Freightliner FL 60 with a 20k GVW....8k front axle and 12k rear axle....Cummins 8.3 motor....Allision auto trans....air ride....air brakes.....106k miles....cab and chassis that I plan to put a flatbed on and 5th wheel hitch.

The trailer we purchased is a 2008 Teton....24k GVWR....empty 20k....pin weight 4,500....triple axle....actual length is approx. 45'....for full time living

Any feedback would be appreciated....thanks,

Phil

2000 American Coach Heritage 45' motorhome

Having owned a similar Teton I can tell you that IMO the FL will be better and safer than an F350 but will possibly be a disappointment  in the hills.  We originally towed our 24K Teton with a 2007 FL M2 106 with six speed Allison and 1000 ft-lb torque and it was slow in the steeper hills but otherwise was a very good TV and safer with airbrakes and true engine brake.  The 2000 FL 60 will likely have less torque and possibly a five speed tranny.  We went to a FL M2 112 with DD 13 with 1850 torque engine and it is a better performer in the hills. If you can live with slower speed in the hills the FL60 should be a better choice IMO.  Many members of the Teton Club International pull their rigs with similar trucks. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Thanks Jay!...I appreciate your honest feedback.... I think it's exactly what I had already expected to hear. Seems I just have to determine what I can live with and what's important to me and then make a decision.

Thanks again,

Phil  

Phil, another point I didn't make in first post is cost of the vehicle.  With only 103K miles the truck should serve for a long time and hopefully won't need too much maintanence for the next few years.(but you definitely need money set aside as recommended by Jack Mayer on his website)  A really good price on such a vehicle makes it looks very attractive.  This is the vehicle that people who don't want to go the HDT route are looking for.  A used HDT finished and ready to tow could run upwards of $75K, a new FL M2 112 like ours can run $190K and a new F350 can be also be $75K.  Don't know what a 2000 FL 60 cost new but our 2007 FL M2 106 was $115K new.  Bet the 2000 was under $100K new.  I don't think its worth half that now for a 17 year old truck and would start much lower. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Thanks again Jay. And yes you are correct, the cost of the truck is very appealing and makes it very difficult to walk away from. But I also don't want to rush into it and find out after the fact that I have purchased a truck that is going to disappoint if I get out into the mountains. I don't want to be going down the hills wishing I had a bigger truck :)

Know what you mean!  Really scared myself going down hill with a one ton dually so got the FL M2 106.  The Mercedes engine had an engine brake which made down hill travel much less a scary white knuckle experience. It would help to know if the Cummins 8.3 engine has an engine or Jake brake.  I don't know, never owned one.  IMO an engine or Jake brake would be a must have on any truck towing heavy weight RVs like a Teton or our Continental Coach.  Best Wishes, Jay

The Cummins ISC (8.3) can be equipped with a "proper" engine compression brake, per Cummins literature.  They seem to be more frequently equipped with the less effective (but still much better than nothing) exhaust back pressure brake. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

The truck does not have an engine brake....and I am almost positive it doesn't even have an exhaust brake. I do know if I do indeed purchase it I will install an exhaust brake. I had one on a 2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 once and loved it. I know an exhaust brake is not as nice as an engine brake but I was thinking between the air brakes and exhaust brake it would probably be ok.

Hopefully your Teton has hydraulic disc brakes and 17.5" tires,  Ours came with 16" D range tires:(.  After several blow outs we upgraded to 17.5s with Goodyear G114s.  Best wishes, Jay

Or it can be a great truck.

We have a 1998 Volvo that we bought with 445k on it.  Just about the best $19k I've spent (There was a check to the x-wife).

An old truck is a crap shoot.  If there are any records available it would be helpful.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hi Jay....I honestly don't yet know what type of brakes are on the trailer....I need to crawl under the trailer and look. The man who delivered the trailer to/for us towed it approx. 1,000 miles and said they were wonderful brakes. As for the tires, they are 16" ....Goodyear LT 235/85/16 G rating .... date code is 3307 (still look new but need to be replaced before we start towing the beast around)

Hi Greg....I totally get your comment, and if my finances were of such that I didn't have to gamble I would probably buy newer....but such has been my life's habit, I buy ten plus year old trucks and make the best of them. So far it has work with the last 5 trucks I have owned....somebody else's hand me down :)

This FL60 I am looking at is not real purtty but seems to be very solid and I think will make someone a nice basic truck....and at $6,000.00 I am willing to risk a paint job and new tires. I just have to come to the conclusion it it enough truck to safely slide down the mountains if we travel out west.

Thanks guys for all the feedback!

Phil

Our Teton had electric over hydraulic dexter disc brakes and they were good brakes.  Hopefully yours has same or similar equipment.  You will see that many people with heavy weight 5ers upgrade to 17.5" rims/tires.  Something to consider when replacing tires.  I can appreciate the temptation to buy with such a price.  Best Wishes, Jay

Yes in my search for this Teton I spoke to several owners who had done as you say....I was thinking when I get around to the tires on my "to do" list I would investigate the 17.5" rims. Thanks for all the help!

On 5/20/2017 at 3:52 PM, leavingsoon said:

The trailer we purchased is a 2008 Teton....24k GVWR....empty 20k....pin weight 4,500....triple axle....actual length is approx. 45'....for full time living

Which model of Teton.....?

The Reliance is a heavy trailer. I would STRONGLY recommend that you go to the 17.5 wheels and H or J rated rubber. It costs money, but it is the best solution available for that setup juggling cost/benefit. At least for a rig that is going to be mobile. If it is just sitting most or all of the time than I'd probably just leave the 16" and put G614 on it for the few times it is pulled. 

You will be slow up the hills with that truck/trailer combo, but if that does not bother you then the Fl should do the job "adequately". For the money it is certainly worth considering. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Your welcome MrSeas

Thanks Jack...the G614's are what is on there now. And yes, for the near future the trailer will be stationary, moved occasionally. Our plan is in a couple of years to be when we hope to start moving around. That's the reason we are trying to get by with a MDT for now with the thoughts that once we become convinced we are being more mobile then move to a HDT. I can tolerate being slow on climbing some grades up, just need to know I can get up....and then safely down. And after towing my last 13-14k pound trailer with my current F350 I know I need something more with this Teton. 

Thanks,

Phil

Archived