Who's in Grande Prairie?

Darryl&Rita

That'd be the Kahanamoku's, Haagma's and the Walker's all in HDTs along with the Pryor's in an LDT.  

We're leaving Glacier NP tomorrow and will be slowly working our way up the Icefields Parkway then over to GP.  Behind us by a few more days will be the Church's in their HDT.  

We plan to boondock most of the way and that looks feasible from what we've read.  Any recommendations as we come up through Grande Prairie? 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

She did say it looked like a little one ton was trailing them, looking lost.

Depending on your route to GP, there's lots of places to pull over for a night. Highway 43 is the busiest, but there are side road pull-offs to find some peace. Highway 40 has them in droves, as does Highway 97, in British Columbia. Once past GP, there's a million spots, just have to keep your eyes open. Some are obvious, but there's some hidden gems along the way.

Edit to add: A lot of the choices I feel are perfectly fine have been vetoed by others I've suggested them to, so I tend not to give directions to specific spots, unless I'm confident of the driver's skill, or unless there's something there that the people are specifically looking for.

If you need a tank night, the Rotary park is right in town, a short walk to groceries, craft stores, a few different restaurants, and a theater complex.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Rotary Park looks great Darryl.  Right now it looks like we'd be there next Thursday but plans are a bit on the soft side.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

13 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

That'd be the Kahanamoku's, Haagma's and the Walker's all in HDTs along with the Pryor's in an LDT.  

Does anyone know if someone from that group is blogging or posting on a forum somewhere?  I would like to make this trip someday.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

We'll be passing through Grand Prairie today (Sat.) stopping in Dawson Creek.  Met that 4-some in Gregg Shield's yard this past week. We were there for truck repairs, they were just passing through. We don't boondock much but may pull off on occasion. Just don't have the right set-up.

Anyone in the Fairbanks area this summer can find us at the Riverview RV Park near North Pole.

Someone started a 2017 Alaska topic but I haven't heard of anyone "blogging."

Todd & Beth

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Raymond and I plan to leave Flathead Lake, Rollins, MT Wednesday 31 May and will be in Canada same day!     Spending some time in Icefields Parkway and then 40 to Grand Prairie.    Thanks, Darryl&Rita for the tips, we've been reading previous posts.    Rotary Park sounds great, since we enjoy walking.    

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

We took 40 and it was "a bit rough".  I'd go a few miles out of my way if there was a better road.

Darryl, is there an alternate route from 16 to GP that you might recommend?

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Depends what you want to see. 32, from Edson to Whitecourt, is a nice quiet road, but 43 from Whitecourt can be busy, and has lots of rough sections. Some people travel further West, into BC, then use 97 to start North. It's been a few years since we've been on that road, so can't comment on road conditions, but they did have severe flood damage a few years back.

Really, road conditions are part of the adventure, we're just getting you ready for the roads further North.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

On 5/30/2017 at 0:16 PM, Jim & Wilma said:

We took 40 and it was "a bit rough".  I'd go a few miles out of my way if there was a better road.

Hi Jim & Wilma,  when you said Hwy 40 was a bit rough, was it frost heaves?  Pot holes?  Bad paving?  I'm planning on taking it from Hinton to Grande Prairie in a couple of days.  The alternative looks like a long way round.  I don't mind going slow as long as the road is passable and won't cause vehicle damage.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

All of the above, John. Plus construction just south of Grande Cache. It's not a horrible route, and the scenery is a warm-up for further north.

Please e-mail us here.

On 5/30/2017 at 11:36 AM, Darryl&Rita said:

Really, road conditions are part of the adventure, we're just getting you ready for the roads further North.

Too funny and agree, 40 gets you ready  . . .  Alaska Highway has nothing on 40.  We enjoyed the adventure!

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Just a heads up. Hwy #40 is currently closed North of Grande Cache, due to a rock/mud slide.

Edit: The damage was greatly exaggerated. The road was closed for mere hours.CBC news

Please e-mail us here.

Archived