Dell Mini 10v (1011) upgrade to Win 7 32 bit

DJW

Is there any reason I cannot upgrade a Dell Mini 10v (1011) from Win XP to Win 7 Home 32 Bit?  My sister gave me a old Mini 10 yesterday and I thought if I could upgrade to Win 7 I would give it to GD to play with.  I can get a OEM copy of Win 7  Home 32 Bit with product key for $18 plus 3 for shipping.  It is on a DVD which should  play on an external DVD player via one of the 3 USB ports on the Mini.  I checked on the Mini setup and you can switch it so it will boot from either a USB Thumb drive or external DVD player.  It has the Intel Atom CPU N270 1.6Ghz processor and 1 GB of ram with a 160GB HDD.  It's not real fast but it works ok.  It has the Win XP Home Edition V 2002 with SP3 on it now..  Thoughts

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I think you are going to find you will be at the very minimum for the requirements of Win 7. I don't know if it will be any worse than XP is on it though? We had some netbooks that had the same processor and they were pretty pathethic even with XP on them. They worked in a pinch if needed. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Dennis,

How old is your grand daughter?

One of the last two laptops I sold was a Compaq that had 2 GB of RAM and 120GB HD and a single core Celeron that came native with Windows 7. It was sooooo slow with Win 10 that I threw a 256GB SSD in it, and upgraded RAM to 4 GB and it then ran acceptable for schoolwork etc. I sold it for what I had in it and told the guy that bought it not to buy it. He did anyway with no after the sale support from me.

I had the old Atom processors in a netbook, and they were passable in 2006. They made them more usable with the dual core Atom Z2000 series, too slow by today's standards. The real useful capabilities and speed came with the Z3000 series quad cores. Often seen Atom Z3735, Z3770, Z3795. The only one that supports more then 2GB of RAM is the Z3795. The new X7 series continues the fast cool running Atoms.

Dennis, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Some gifts cost more in effort and aggravation than buying a new one, while never coming up to par. That laptop might (only might) work OK with Linux. Linux is free so use it for that if you can. However all XP era hardware is not worth messing with in my book and I have the budget to putt SSDs and RAM into them. Remember that RAM

XP era Atom processors were sluggish and unusable for today by anyone with a less than three year old tablet, laptop, or smart phone. Were I you I would get your GD a new Amazon Fire Tablet 8" HD tablet, and a Bluetooth keyboard. They just marked them down to $79 for regular price. Then add a 64 GB micros SD card: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K2PD7583&cm_re=micro_sd_card_128gb-_-0DF-0005-003P5-_-Product

Or a 128GB micro SD for about $50-60. I got my two 128GB cards for our Moto Z Droid phones for under $40 each for name brand Samsung and SanDisk genuine cards. The new Fire tablets can handle up to 200GB micro SD cards and they are coming down in price too.

Nothing touches the Amazon Fire for durability and features at that price point. The Amazon App store is not as complete as the Google Play store but they have good Apps for school and play. And for young kids they have an entire all free apps playground. Very kid oriented for from toddler to adult.

It has Alexa built in (requires a WiFi connection)

Unlimited storage for photos, free movie downloads(Requires Amazon Prime membership or family member's membership)

I personally use mine as a Kindle with benefits. I read before going to bed and on waking, but might want to check out CNN on the Sling TV app (requires subscription) which is on all my computers and tablets of all OS' end even on our phones. https://www.amazon.com/Sling-TV-LLC-Television-Carte/dp/B00ODC5N80 or watch an episode of a series I'm watching on Amazon or Netflix. (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmobile-apps&field-keywords=netflix)  It is a bedside only tablet because I use my Surface Pro 3, or ASUS 10.1 for a tablet in hand when watching TV in the LR/Home theater. My wife uses her Amazon Fire HDX 7" tablet for bedside reading and games/puzzles. She has become a cell phone centric, using it to read emails and text rather than sit at her AIO computer or use her Venue11 Pro tablet.

How old is your GD? Look here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J94SWWU/ref=ods_tab_ps_gzanewgen

If she is under age 8 get the $49.99 7" Fire and the kid-proof case here: https://smile.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Kid-Proof-Generation-Release/dp/B01NCACJQR/ref=sr_1_6?s=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1495310333&sr=1-6

All of the new models can share the screen: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201829510

I use a Logitech K-400 keyboard https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-K400-with-Built-In-Multi-Touch-Touchpad-Black/17253322?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222000987195&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10361536104&wl4=kwd-1103070024190&wl12=17253322_0&wl14=&veh=sem#about-item

With all my phones, tablets, and TVs. For an Amazon Tablet I Use a Micro USB to full size USB adapter and plug the Logitech or other PC wireless keyboard and mouse combo that work off one USB receiver:

USBadapter_zps337c1864.jpg

That pic is of a 7" Windows tablet I got on sale for $99.99 and it just was not enough with only a 32GB main storage, and was returned. But I have several of those Micro to female regular adapters so I can use any USB device on any of my phones or tablets. I actually prefer a full size keyboard and mouse so I use on e of three full size PC wireless desktop sets all of which run the kb and the mouse from a single USB receiver.

I wouldn't spend a penny on any XP era hardware because the RAM is limited to DDR, DDR2. I have a full size desktop Dell XP system in my closet including the monitor and wired kb and mouse waiting for me to get around to loading Linux on it. I can't believe how heavy they were. I will ;likely never get around to it because I am way behind on my personal projects and liquidation or stuff before we move next year.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Lots of good info RV_.

I have the Amazon Fire HD8 (not the entry level one) and I'm very happy with it and it's performance. I had a Fire HDX7 with 4G LTE I broke the screen on some time back and I miss that one, but the HD8 has been great. I'm probably going to get my wife a fire table as her Nook (Samsung Tab 8) is on it's last legs absouletly no room to update apps with only 8gb on board. BTW, you can sideload the google play store on the Amazon fire tablets pretty easily and get access to all the google play apps. I hadn't tried a real keyboard with my Fire tablet. I may need to do that. 

Although, I like chromebooks too just for the feel of the real keyboard and more laptop feel on webpages. I hung onto my previous one for a long time, but last year got a newer Acer R11 chromebok (CB5-132T) with 4gb ram and man I'm really enjoying this thing. The low overhead on chromebooks is so nice and the all day battery life is amazing! It has a touch screen which is pretty neat, but it will also fold 180 degrees so you can use it like a tablet. And unlike most chromebooks it will load apps from the google play store on it. If you look around, you can find it for $179-$199 like here - https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=18739&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0v_IBRCEzKHK0KiCrKMBEiQA3--1NkyqD4bwwHJvTd5FpoFd79hxOCQoxwgzisXDFTo3kmYaAqbH8P8HAQ

YW Dennis. How old is she?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Hi Dan!

Love your blog and pix. You guys make a wonderful couple.

I have more tablets than I have cents at any given time. (punny?)

I am Windows firmly, in fact am watching the early news now and finger typing this on my 10.1" ASUS T-100 CHI. my surface is in my home office, and since I'm waiting for the "labor" to get here to lay a new paver walkway, I started with this one.

Funny you mention the HDX Fires. We started with Kindles, went from the basic, to the touch then the Paperwhite, which we still have but will sell soon. I ran into a 7"HDX newest generation with 16 GB on Craigslist for 50 bucks, and when I used it as a Kindle was hooked. I found another 7" for $75 and bought it too. I later realized it has 64GB of storage! We went through several $5-10 cases for them. I wasn't really looking for another but again online found a 4th Gen (latest and still supported) 8.9"HDX with 32GB of storage, the Otterbox Defender for it, and the box and adapter for $100.00 I figured for the free downloads it would be worth it for my Surgery trips to Tampa. (read "convenient justification) The 8.9" Gen 4, is the only one of our three HDX's that is still supported with OS updates and works great with the Alexa App. Since they're discontinued I found the $50 heavy Origami covers for all three for $6-10 new online for the 7".

The resolution on the HDX series, and Mayday alone is worth getting one if anyone sees one used but perfect.

However, when they put the new 2016 8"HD on sale for $69.99 for all the durability, extreme light weight, and speed hype I decided to try one. I'm waiting for the 2017 model in July to buy another. So since I have two Windows tablets with full HD for me, and a Dell venue 11 Pro my wife has but never uses, I will be parting with the HDXs. You're the first person I've heard mention the HDX. Most have no clue. If I didn't have our Windows tablets all with full HD and USB 3, and micro SD cards, we'll be selling our HDXs soon. Both us and the previous owners kept them in cases,so they're like new. Not even the tiniest scratch, dent, or operational flaw. we have at least two cases for each.

Some folks eat out once or twice a week for $20-50. That's $1040.00 - $2600.00 a year. We don't eat out. We don't go to bars or sports events. and don't do tournament fishing or hunting or skiing anymore. I don't need $20k fishing boats or thousand dollar hunting leases, either. Computers and electronics are my hobby, and we can afford to continue to live and play. I like the challenge of the learning curves, and admire the engineering, both hardware and software, and the costs to bring to market. Ten years ago my 65" main TV, never mind that it's 4k, could not be had for less than $20k or more, and would not be full array LED. Electric cars, trucks, three and two wheelers are all buyable today at some price, soon just commodities as much as the Koch brothers would like them to go away. We'll still need some oil for grease and gearboxes.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks for the compliments! I don't think I have quite as many tablets as you, but I have my fair share of older tablets hanging around for what ever reason. Remember the 10" HP Touchpads that flopped before they even hit the market then they put them on a fire sale. I ended up with a 32gb for myself and a 16gb for my wife and my mom each. Eventually you could load Android on them and they worked great for that. When my Mom moved to a new tablet so gave hers back to me. I've played around with lots of versions of Cynagen Mod on them. I'm still surprised at how well these tablets work for their older hardware. These 10" tablets are extremely "bulky" compared to today's tablets, but the screens on those were amazing and their performance is not bad even today even though they are now several years old. Then I found one of those Asus TF700T transformer tablets with the detachable keyboard used on CL. Again awesome screen on these, but the CPU performance wasn't all that great, but I really liked having the attached keyboard. Somewhere along there I had the HDX 7" I spoke about that I broke, and then a Nexus 7 2012 & 2013 version. The '13 had LTE on it. I actually really liked the Nexus 7 2013 model, but it started developing this weird touch screen issue. I need to dig deeper into it. I ended up with the Amazon HD8 to replace the Nexus 7. And finally the two Chrombooks I mentioned and tons of old computer hardware. Then I have the Nexus 6, Nexus 5x, & moto G4 phones and a whole stack of broken Samsung Note 2's & 4's where the motherboards just decide to give up. Gave up on Samsung after all that crud. 

So on that Dell venue 11 Pro, is that a full version of windows on there or the RT version? I'm still looking for a small windows PC/tablet to load Garmin MapSource/Basecamp on. Any of your HDX's have LTE on them? I might still be interested in one of them though. I do miss my HDX. Have you rooted/modified any of the HDX's to run pure android instead of the Fire OS? 

Archived