Jackalopee wiring pics,

lockmup68

someone posted a few jackalopee wiring pics a few days ago. I am not finding them tonight and I'm doing the terminal strips. Want to visually compare. Anyone remember what thread they were in? 

Thanks,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Photos reposted from the other thread:

iLTvEV6l.jpg

B3UbQbKl.jpg

I don't want to offend Allan, but I saved these photos to my local computer and plan to replicate this setup in my truck.  I hope it turns out half as neat and organized...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

9 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

iLTvEV6l.jpg

B3UbQbKl.jpg

I don't want to offend Allan, but I saved these photos to my local computer and plan to replicate this setup in my truck.  I hope it turns out half as neat and organized...

I am glad that the photos can help. I got the idea about the terminal strips from Jim. There is one place that I would do over. I would use clear heat shrink tubing over the labels on the wires. I also tried to keep the wires colored coded. All the parts are mounted to 3/4" plywood.

Best of luck with your project,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

This will never work!    There is no black tape and everyone knows you have to use black tape. LOL

Very nicely done.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

I'm confused too. The connections are all labeled inside the Jackalopee. Why not run the wires straight into and out of the jackalopee? What is the purpose of the added connection? I ran 7 wire cable from inside the jackalopee all the way to the rear of my truck where the plug is. One constant and complete cable with no connections to worry about in the middle. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

More connections means more fun when the lights don't work. There is a bit of an increase in room, but from what I've seen, the Jakalopee isn't overly small for the wire fill.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

19 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

iLTvEV6l.jpg

B3UbQbKl.jpg

I am impressed, probably should include it in the Jackalopee Manual with a note, "This installation came in first in the Neatest Jackalopee Wiring Competition"

Also noted that the main wires were routed through the case side, since I drill all the holes in the cases I could deliver the Jackaloppe in this configuration from the start if someone wanted to duplicate this setup, just mention this when you order.

Okay, I get that it is "pretty" but I still don't understand the "why". My jackalopee (now that I moved it someplace where the waterproof box doesn't fill with water) has one nice big black cable running in and one nice big black cable running out. The factory cable runs in and my cable runs out, all the way to the plug for the trailer. I'm just a dumb old redneck. But what is the need/reason for the added wiring terminal blocks? I also don't understand all those exposed connections. Looks like a short waiting to happen, unless you keep that compartment totally empty.

2014 smart Fortwo

2 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Okay, I get that it is "pretty" but I still don't understand the "why". My jackalopee (now that I moved it someplace where the waterproof box doesn't fill with water) has one nice big black cable running in and one nice big black cable running out. The factory cable runs in and my cable runs out, all the way to the plug for the trailer. I'm just a dumb old redneck. But what is the need/reason for the added wiring terminal blocks? I also don't understand all those exposed connections. Looks like a short waiting to happen, unless you keep that compartment totally empty.

I water proofed the water proof box and hopefully solved the problem.  And yes it is one big wire in and one out with the others sealed as best as I could. Seems to be staying dry now. I agree less connections less to go wrong.  But it looks nice. LOL

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Wife went to the post office today with a "gaggle" of Jackalopees.

MzN0iwQl.jpg

CrWFy90l.jpg

She posted it to her sons (wiseguys) who immediately offered this information

huyMj5Yl.png

I was wondering why the sudden demand and the flaggerdoot from all over the country in the same few days. After seeing this wiring I can see why.

I smell from a long distance a talent of a technician or an engineer who wired military equipment, ships, missiles, airplanes, etc., perhaps some familiarity with DOD standard Mil-W-5088L

38 minutes ago, Big5er said:

The sub boxes allow for additional wires for more lights to be easily added if needed later. 

These boxes also have clear covers, protecting the terminal blocks, which are not shown in the photos. 

You our do make a valid point, Phil, that the added complexity is not necessary. I may not put the sub-box on the input side but I definitely see the advantage on the output side. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Just to confuse and obtusificate the issue further, I apparently have failed to understand the intent here completely. So I mounted two (2) fused terminal blocks NEAR the jackalopee, and fed power from a switched power source to one and a non switched source to the other.  That lets me add lights, radios, winches, etc without interfering with the original truck wiring.

Works purty good

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

If AV8r would care to post the picks I sent him along with the short right up it might help others.                                               I had intermittent lighting issues that stemmed from a rats nest of wire from past roadside fixes.  I removed all this and was able to pull new wire from the truck side junction box.to the lights at the back of the truck without having to buy another Volvo harness.  And this was before David- Deepspacelighting- had a harness available.  Having the terminal strips allows you to separate the components and test where a fault is.

"Trailer turn signal doesn't work when I flip the turn signal stalk"

Is it the truck side? 

Jackalope?

Or trailer?

Plus at some point, adding mirror turn signals, a 3rd brake light, extra deck lighting, etc is simple.  You have a direct source to easily tie into.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jackalopee1.jpg

Jackalopee3.jpg

Jackalopee2.jpg

Jackalopee5.jpg

Fuse block on the left is on a relay from key switch power.  I have it on a 50 fuse.  
Terminal box on the left has the truck factory harness entering it.
7 wire cable runs from this strip into the Jackaloppe on the truck side.  Any 7wire cable will work.  The colors are the same- commercial truck or RV- they just go to different functions.
The wiring leaves the Jackaloppe and goes to the right most terminal strip, and continues thru to the rear of the truck.
Purpose is to isolate parts of the system if the need arises.
The middle terminal strip is currently empty in the pics.  It is now used as a bridge to run extra lights from the truck system.  Easy way to add a 3rd brake light, mirror turn signals, etc.
The fuse block supplies power to the Jackaloppe, Hayes brake controller I currently use, and I have a USB plug strip it powers up on the dash for charging phones etc.
I bought 3 of these https://www.lowes.com/ pd/Gampak-2-in-NM-SE- Connector/1100137 in 1" to route cable and wire in and out of the compartment.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Holy mackarel. That confuses me even more. 
This looks like my installation..plain, and simple.

Jackalopee2.jpg

You guys are way smarter than me...although I can see how it might make adding lights easier. Still confused about the inlet side. 

Oh well, all this confusion is making me tired. Think I'll drink a Dr. Pepper and go to bed. 

2014 smart Fortwo

10 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Jackalopee5.jpg

I see a PROBLEM in this picture. A confusion about the functions and wiring of the two blue wires on the input (truck) side.

It looks to me that the blue wire from the truck 7 wire cable (Auxiliary +12VDC power, switched on when the key is switched on) is plugged into the tab where the blue wire from the trailer brake should go. And the blue wire from the trailer brake (variable power from the controller to the electric brakes) is plugged into truck Auxiliary tab.

This could really screw things up royally,

If the Auxiliary function in the truck works properly (in some trucks this is disabled but not many), when the key is turned on there would be be permanent +12VDC power going to the trailer brakes constantly, locking them on.

The trailer battery charging power is plugged into Direct tab, that means it charges that battery all the time with nothing on on the Auxiliary power tab, Every time the trailer brakes are applied that power would go off. But that is not so bad as dragging trailer wheels with the brakes hard on.

Unless things got further rewired in those boxes between the truck and the Jackalopee, this definitely does not look kosher. I'll be happy to offer free "consultation".

Edited by phoenix2013

Hi Everyone,

My thought process on wiring my Jackalopee came from the industrial world. The pieces of equipment that I ran was wired using terminal strips. I operated electrical and gas fired furnaces for heat treating of steel and non-ferrous materials. I understand that everyone has a different thought process. This was just my thought process. The terminal strips help with in trouble shooting industrial pieces of equipment. So why not the truck. There is also a clear cover to help protect the terminal strips. It is not in the picture. If you need to add a wire or too, it can be done a little easier with the strips.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

The purpose of the strips is to tap functions in the future. 

For example, on my drom boxes with LED light strips on top....I tap the separate stop BEFORE the Jackie so the the center of three light srips can function as an individual marker/stop (no turn). You cant do that with the Jackie alone. I've also tapped for various other purposes both on the input and output sides.  Of course, if you don't need these "functions" then just run a Jackie like Phil does. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

2 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

I see a PROBLEM in this picture. A confusion about the functions and wiring of the two blue wires on the input (truck) side.

It looks to me that the blue wire from the truck 7 wire cable (Auxiliary +12VDC power, switched on when the key is switched on) is plugged into the tab where the blue wire from the trailer brake should go. And the blue wire from the trailer brake (variable power from the controller to the electric brakes) is plugged into truck Auxiliary tab.

This could really screw things up royally,

If the Auxiliary function in the truck works properly (in some trucks this is disabled but not many), when the key is turned on there would be be permanent +12VDC power going to the trailer brakes constantly, locking them on.

The trailer battery charging power is plugged into Direct tab, that means it charges that battery all the time with nothing on on the Auxiliary power tab, Every time the trailer brakes are applied that power would go off. But that is not so bad as dragging trailer wheels with the brakes hard on.

Unless things got further rewired in those boxes between the truck and the Jackalopee, this definitely does not look kosher. I'll be happy to offer free "consultation".

I "Found" that on the original hook up and corrected it.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I "Found" that on the original hook up and corrected it.  

Ah, good man.

I was puzzled, the initial wiring was perfect but when it went into the truck it "changed".

The layout on the Jackalopee PCB is not ideal, I get the same questions as does Gregg Shields who distributes them. He suggested a board layout change. The blue wire location from the Auxiliary and the blue wire location from the brake controller are just too close together and often end up swapped.

I'm thinking about engineering change on the board to separate these a bit..