Low Waterpressure

My unit has a winterization position on the water control valve. In the winterization position the water pump sucks from the city water inlet. I have stayed in parks where the water pressure was less than desirable. How about connecting to the park water using the winterization position and using the pump to increase pressure? What do you think? 

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

How is the water pressure when you are using water drawn from the potable water tank by the pump? If it is good, just use water from the tank and fill it with city water when needed. With RVs that I'm familiar with the winterization position for the pump suction goes to a tube that is intended to be placed into a gallon jug or RV antifreeze, but does not draw from the city water connection. 

Do you use a water pressure regulator on your city water connection? If you do, is it one with a large port for water or one of the cheap ones? It may be that the pressure regulator is restricting the volume of flow when on city water. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Since the pressure is so low, I dont use a regulator. 

If I use the regular position I dont think the pump adds any water to the system. It just pumps water from the water tank and since the pressure from the pump is higher than the water coming, no water comes in and I have to keep adding water to the tank. 

I have tried this once at a park that had really low pressure and it was a help. I was wondering how the pump would long term using this method.

I think that whole rig RO systems offer an extra pump to keep the pressure up for the filter to work properly so there must be some logic there. :)

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

12 minutes ago, Fulltimer51 said:

If I use the regular position I dont think the pump adds any water to the system. It just pumps water from the water tank and since the pressure from the pump is higher than the water coming, no water comes in and I have to keep adding water to the tank. 

You are absolutely correct. Your water pump turns on and off by pressure, usually about 45 - 50 psi. If city water pressure is less than what the pump turns on at the pump will supply all of your water or nearly so and little if any city water will enter the rig. 

14 minutes ago, Fulltimer51 said:

I have tried this once at a park that had really low pressure and it was a help. I was wondering how the pump would long term using this method.

While RV water pumps can and do wear out, they usually last a very long time and most failures are due to the diaphragm or seal failure and that is typically more a function of age than of use.  Many an RV owner uses the fresh water pump most of the time and yet short life failures are very seldom reported on the RV forums. I wouldn't be especially concerned about this issue. 

One other possible cause that just crossed my mind is that of a filter on the city water side? We use a charcoal block filter on our RV water inlet and when it begins to plug up it will give us the symptom that you have. If the park where you are is using a well it is quite possible this could be part of the problem.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Two filters will certainly slow things down.  If you are doing a sediment filter before it empties into the coach, why not just the charcoal filter at the kitchen sink (assuming you are looking to clear drinking water ), that will probably help with pressure. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Do you have a pressure gauge (with a standard garden hose connection) to connect to the campground water supply (hose bib)?

If you don't have one - you should.  About $10. at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Check the wp at the hose bib.  If you have good water pressure, but low inside your rig - the obvious "problem" is *not* the supply..

BTW - been camping since 1970 with MH, Trailers, Slide-in campers. Can honestly say I've never had low pressure anywhere.  Maybe I'm just "fortunate"??

Archived