2017 Ram brake control not activating trailer

I have a 2017 Ram I just hooked up my 2005 Teton with electric over hydraulic brakes. I started hearing a knocking sound like a blinker coming from the actuator. The brakes worked for short time and then quit. I had the Ram set for heavy elec over hydraulic setting. Any ideas?

Not all controllers are compatible with all RV brake systems.

Can you try to lower the power setting on the controller to see if you can find a position  that works?

At least one truck manufacture's controller provides no braking below 5 mph.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

I had a similar issue with my 2015 Ram 3500, electric over hydraulic. Ended up being the electric over hydraulic was not being deteced by Ram controller. I put an old brake magnet inline with brake connection next to hydraulic unit and problem solved.

I have a Titan Brake-rite controlller and after talking with them was told to try this Brake rite EHB. I did end up getting one and it worked the same as the old electric brake magnet. Could have saved a few bucks.

My suggestion is to check which brake unit you have and contact them to see what they may recommend 

They both worked the same. I had tried everything and got the idea of trying brake magnet from reading something. It seemed to do with the controller on the Ram needs to detect a current to signal it is connected.

After discussion with Titan and some experimenting plugging my 5th wheel into other trucks it was determined that it was something new to the wiring on 2015 trucks since it seemed to work ok on 2014 trucks.

What electric/hydraulic brake (EHB) unit do you have? I have included an image of how it is wired. Th unit you see in the picture is exactly what I used. The one from the link above must be their newer model

If you can find and old brake magnet you can wire that in to test but I would strongly suggest  you contact your electric/hydraulic brake unit mfg. prior to doing this to discuss trying this

IMG_0747.JPG

23 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

We have a 2016 Ram and don't have this problem so it may just be 2017's or your vehicle.  My first thought was also the fuse but you've already said that isn't it.  Let us know once you figure it out.  Thanks

Is yours electric over hydraulic brakes? If so, what electric/hydraulic brake (EHB) unit make do you have. The problem I mentioned previously seems to be related spcefically to the Titan Brake-Rite unit.

On 5/17/2017 at 8:56 PM, Gcasta said:

Is yours electric over hydraulic brakes? If so, what electric/hydraulic brake (EHB) unit make do you have. The problem I mentioned previously seems to be related spcefically to the Titan Brake-Rite unit.

Mine was factory installed and the owner package doesn't mention brand but a call to Ram and Titan wasn't an option in the 2016 package that was offered with our model.

Archived