can title your truck in South Dakota as a MH

Randy

I originally got a NY, CDL Class 2 license when I was a bus driver in NYC 40+ years ago. About 20 years ago, the Federal DOT "standardized" CDLs. My Class 2 became a Class B CDL. I had an Air Brakes endorsement from my bus driving days; it just got carried over. With the new Federal CDL rules, I took EVERY written test that was then available and therefore, my "new" CDL B Class license, had every endorsement that was offered at that time. When I moved my domicile to SD, I had to retake the HazMat test to keep that endorsement but otherwise, I kept endorsements I had for Tow Truck, Coiled Metals, Tank Truck etc, etc, etc. When SD DMV saw I had a 28' enclosed trailer behind my Super C Dynamax, I got a CDL Class A. As for the "Super C" class RVs; it's my understanding that, when a HDT cab/chassis (GVWR of 26,001 or more) is used as the base, the resulting RV is a "Super C Class". Some builders use MDTs that resemble HDTs but, if the GVWR is 26,000 or less, it's NOT a true Super C. Jayco comes to mind as a builder using MDTs for some of their RVs. 

3 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

I originally got a NY, CDL Class 2 license when I was a bus driver in NYC 40+ years ago. About 20 years ago, the Federal DOT "standardized" CDLs. My Class 2 became a Class B CDL. I had an Air Brakes endorsement from my bus driving days; it just got carried over. With the new Federal CDL rules, I took EVERY written test that was then available and therefore, my "new" CDL B Class license, had every endorsement that was offered at that time. When I moved my domicile to SD, I had to retake the HazMat test to keep that endorsement but otherwise, I kept endorsements I had for Tow Truck, Coiled Metals, Tank Truck etc, etc, etc. When SD DMV saw I had a 28' enclosed trailer behind my Super C Dynamax, I got a CDL Class A. As for the "Super C" class RVs; it's my understanding that, when a HDT cab/chassis (GVWR of 26,001 or more) is used as the base, the resulting RV is a "Super C Class". Some builders use MDTs that resemble HDTs but, if the GVWR is 26,000 or less, it's NOT a true Super C. Jayco comes to mind as a builder using MDTs for some of their RVs.

So is it your understanding that over 26,001 you are required to have a cdl?  In South Dakota, regardless of what it is titled as?

I guess this is hard to understand: exemptions:

(10) A motor vehicle used for personal purposes and not operated for private business use;

(11) A motor vehicle used for recreational purposes and not operated for private business use;

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, Randy said:

When SD DMV saw I had a 28' enclosed trailer behind my Super C Dynamax, I got a CDL Class A

13 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I guess this is hard to understand: exemptions:

(10) A motor vehicle used for personal purposes and not operated for private business use;

(11) A motor vehicle used for recreational purposes and not operated for private business use;

apparently it is hard to understand..........    If your getting this info off of the hdt page on this site, it may not be correct.   It also says on this site, that I can't make my truck (the one in my pic) a Motor home.  but that is incorrect as I proved in my 1st few posts.

Also, before the part you highlighted, it states-   "32-9-3. Exceptions from definitions of motor carrier and commercial vehicle. For the purposes of this chapter, the following do not come within the definition of "motor carriers" or "commercial vehicles" if used in intrastate operations:"

If ya notice it says intrastate.   So, when I go out of state, do I then need a CDL?

6 hours ago, Randy said:

So is it your understanding that over 26,001 you are required to have a cdl?  In South Dakota, regardless of what it is titled as?

Randy, I already HAD a NY CDL so, I decided to keep said CDL when I switched states. There are ramifications when driving with a CDL. Make sure you understand the negatives. Dale Bruss is detailing TWO sections of SD law explaining under what circumstances a CDL will NOT be necessary when operating a HDT. If you opt NOT to have a CDL, be sure you understand any and all restrictions (gotchas) a state may have (ie: running bobtail and possibly others). It's ALWAYS the responsibility of the driver to understand and comply with the law (and RVers expose themselves to multiple states; oh joy). Many Law Enforcement Officers do NOT have the training to understand fine points of what can be very esoteric laws and, are very likely to NOT be familiar with motor vehicle laws of other states. Being ready to show copies of whatever laws that you're operating under could save you from being cited by an unknowing LEO. If ever pulled over, courtesy and respect on a driver's part can be the deciding factor as to whether a warning is given instead of a summons. Happily, RVs still get very little attention from LEOs. I hope we in the RV community can keep it that way.

A BIG thank you to Dale, Jack, and others who's work have made this resource a reality.

It appears that when SD rewrote their Section 32 Codes they induced a question.  South Dakota has always meant to exempt private and recreation use vehicles from the CDL regulations.  The word "intrastate" does make a question.  However, the SD CDL Manual clearly states that recreational use is exempt from CDL licensing.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I have been pondering the SD situation in light of the negotiations I had with the Maryland DOT.

It might be that during the twice annual meetings of the State DOTs, that the SD stand on exempt CDL licenses, which SD does not issue, was over writing CDL standards in other states. 

Many states allow HDT registration as a RV because it takes the HDT out of the realm of commercial rules with the accompanying CDL license.  SD had not allowed this since a lawsuit event many years ago.

So to make the other states happy, SD has made provisions for registering an HDT as an RV which is clearly exempt from a CDL requirement and kept it stand that driving a truck for non-commercial purposes is still okay, but within the state of SD.

Things change from many influences.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Archived