can title your truck in South Dakota as a MH

Randy

Also when it comes to cdl requirements.    When registered as non cdl truck, you can drive it with out a cdl as long as you are hooked up to your camper, as soon as you unhook you need a cdl.  This info was obtained after many transfers on the phone.    Port of Entry guys said no cdl required at all, as long as your registered non-commercial.  But they sent me to the state licensing people, and they are who gave me the other info.   

Also, on your insurance side, Dougherty can only insure a single rear wheel truck non-commercially, but he still knew what he was talking about so its still good info!      

This is stupid as hell since i can register the truck non-commercially.

It seems like just towing a trailer over 10k would throw you into basically the Class A category in SD. It's interesting they appear have no comparable non CDL licenses for Class A like so many other states do. - https://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/basic_licensing_info.aspx#types

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

SD 32-9-3  Exceptions from definitions of motor carrier and commercial vehicle. For the purposes of this chapter, the following do not come within the definition of "motor carriers" or "commercial vehicles" if used in intrastate operations:

(10) A motor vehicle used for personal purposes and not operated for private business use;

(11) A motor vehicle used for recreational purposes and not operated for private business use;

Source HHRV Resource Guide and SD Documents.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I can register it non-commercially, but I can't insure it non-commercial.  That's my problem.   If I single it, I can insure it.  (That makes it no longer a class 8 truck) Once I get the paperwork done to make it a motor home, then it don't matter.

42 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

It seems like just towing a trailer over 10k would throw you into basically the Class A category in SD. It's interesting they appear have no comparable non CDL licenses for Class A like so many other states do. - https://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/basic_licensing_info.aspx#types

Nope, What they go by is the vehicle weight on the Cat scale ticket you provide....

Another forum member here, John, has a Freightliner Super C, and he had to get the air brake endorsement and several other items that I did not.  All because of the weight rating.  

Some of the state licensing issues come from the fact that they still run tractors thru downtown  Pierre, the state capitol.  There just isn't the population to drive the need for more license brackets.  Most kids I would expect are driving from 8-10yrs old on small tractors.  With as much of the state in farming and ranching, it's all hands on deck that can be.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If I'm not mistaken, John has a CDL.  His super C is a motorhome, and a standard class 1 license is all that's needed for that.

At 14 years and 90 days, you're legal to drive anything non-commercial with four or more wheels from 6 am to 10 pm, and at any time with an adult in the car.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

nuke-e, you are correct, if its titled as a motor home, a standard class 1 license is all you need.   That is my goal, just thought i would register it as non-commercial in the mean time, but its pointless if i cant insure it.  (unless i pay commercial fees, and im not interested in that!)

5 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Another forum member here, John, has a Freightliner Super C, and he had to get the air brake endorsement and several other items that I did not.  All because of the weight rating.  

from what i was told, i can use my tandom axle semi to haul my camper (registered as non-commercial) without a cdl, until i unhook the camper.    then i need a cdl.  stupid laws!

16 hours ago, Randy said:

I can register it non-commercially, but I can't insure it non-commercial.  That's my problem.   If I single it, I can insure it.  (That makes it no longer a class 8 truck) Once I get the paperwork done to make it a motor home, then it don't matter.

Randy,

My 730 was initially titled as "Private Truck", was still tandem and we were able to get insured with Progressive through Miller Insurance.  It's a moot point now as we are now titled as "Converted Motorhome".

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

1 hour ago, Shawn Patterson said:

17 hours ago, Randy said:

Randy,

My 730 was initially titled as "Private Truck", was still tandem and we were able to get insured with Progressive through Miller Insurance.  It's a moot point now as we are now titled as "Converted Motorhome".

Thank you!  This worked!  They got me private insurance, and the price wasn't to bad!

2 hours ago, Randy said:

Thank you!  This worked!  They got me private insurance, and the price wasn't to bad!

Excellent news!!  Glad they were able to help you. :) 

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

My truck is registered as a mh in my state of Alaska, but as my insurance agent explained to me that they would insure it as a private truck so I could use it without it being tied to my 5th wheel.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

1 hour ago, 13speed said:

What is wrong with being a private truck and what is better about being a motorhome?

For me, its the cost of registration and insurance.  (Right now I'm paying insurance on a truck that they value at $85,000   Even though its only worth $10,000)  When i called in to SD license office in Pierre, I was told I don't need a cdl to drive my truck as long as the camper is hooked up.  As soon as I unhook,  I need a cdl, even registered as a private truck.    I don't think anyone will mess with me, but it's better safe than sorry.   Plus, when I convert to a motor home, my wife will have a toilet and I won't need to stop every hour and a half!!

42 minutes ago, Randy said:

For me, its the cost of registration and insurance.  (Right now I'm paying insurance on a truck that they value at $85,000   Even though its only worth $10,000)  When i called in to SD license office in Pierre, I was told I don't need a cdl to drive my truck as long as the camper is hooked up.  As soon as I unhook,  I need a cdl, even registered as a private truck.    I don't think anyone will mess with me, but it's better safe than sorry.   Plus, when I convert to a motor home, my wife will have a toilet and I won't need to stop every hour and a half!!

I don't understand how they can value it that high if it is not worth that. 

Who says you need a CDL if it is a private truck? Once it is private and not commercial why would it need a CDL to drive?

I am not sure if I want my wife peeing right behind me while driving down the road:unsure: and besides that the closer I get to 50 the more I start peeing as much as the wife:lol:

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

On 5/16/2017 at 6:18 PM, Nuke-E said:

If I'm not mistaken, John has a CDL.  His super C is a motorhome, and a standard class 1 license is all that's needed for that.

At 14 years and 90 days, you're legal to drive anything non-commercial with four or more wheels from 6 am to 10 pm, and at any time with an adult in the car.

I thought he had a Class A Non-CDL because of the weight of the motorhome.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I don't know why they value it so high.  My agent didn't value it at that price when she 1st quoted me, but then she talked to her underwriters, and thats what they come up with.  hell I was just happy to get insured!

As for who I talked to, I called sddmv, and was transferred to some licensing office, then was transferred to that persons boss.  So, is that really the truth?  I don't know for sure.  The guy I talked to at the port of entry said I didn't need a cdl at all, but wanted me to verify with the above offices.

I am only 34, so I can go a long time with out the rest room!!  As long as she uses wet wipes on her hands, I don't care what happens behind me! 

14 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

thought he had a Class A Non-CDL because of the weight of the motorhome

I can't find anything about a non-cdl class a license.    Don't think it exists?  At least in South Dakota.

Hmm, had to look up what a Super C was.  Not sure why he would need a class A cdl, it's still a motor home.  I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing most class A motor homes have a gcvw of over 26001.  Now I'm just curious.  

5 hours ago, 13speed said:

What is wrong with being a private truck and what is better about being a motorhome?

If your HDT is titled as a private truck and you approach a scale that has a sign saying "All Trucks Must Stop", you must pull in and stop.  If your HDT is titled as a motorhome and you come across the same scenario, you do not have to stop.  This, along with insurance issues in some states and registration costs are the reasons most want to title their HDT as a motorhome.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived