Problem

British dry humor....often gets me into trouble.

I'm an OFA3...Medic in Canada, so tend to see  things in  different light.

Generally on construction sites, logging camps, oil rigs, that type of thing so I get to see injuries which have not been adequately taken care of hence becoming infected...Very frustrating when it was easily avoided.

Anyway I don't need a lecture on this so I'll leave it to the experts and continue to take precautions against Hep and ecoli.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 9:33 AM, Rich&Sylvia said:

Cockroaches.  Bleach won't kill them.
I'm afraid to even mention it, but anything "used" can have a cockroach problem.

You can see "droppings" if it has (or had) cockroaches.
For the very squeamish, do not see this link. for pictures.

Germs: you killed them with bleach.

How do you get rid of cockroaches? Just curious, hoping I don't have to use this advice. 

57 minutes ago, Charlied said:

boric acid 

X2. Good stuff and all natural. You can "mist" it, or for quicker results, mix it into sweetened mashed potatoes, peanut butter or make small pancakes for easier storage and placement without making a mess. 

The product "Roach Proof" is a boric acid and does work.  However, the bug bombs work quicker.  And need to be repeated every six weeks as the eggs hatch new insects.  Boric acid can be applied ("puffed" in) behind wall plates, vents, crevices, etc with a turkey baster.

If it is a bad infestation, the roaches will be in the plumbing vent stacks because they were flushed down the drain.  The stacks have to be treated as well.  It can take repeated treatments for up to six months to clear a really bad infestation.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I guess most are too old to remember kids in diaper and crap everywhere but in the diaper. Disinfect and forget about it.

Unless your at the dump station in thongs and I don't mean underware. 

Just a couple thoughts.

LEN

I just saw a tip for preventing invasions. They said to wrap a sticky tape, like Gorilla tape, with the sticky side out around sources like electrical cords. Creepy crawlies will get stuck to the tape before they get into your rig. Makes sense to me. But you probably want to remove that tape before stashing the cord for your next move.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

I just saw a tip for preventing invasions. They said to wrap a sticky tape, like Gorilla tape, with the sticky side out around sources like electrical cords. Creepy crawlies will get stuck to the tape before they get into your rig. Makes sense to me. But you probably want to remove that tape before stashing the cord for your next move.

Linda Sand

Well , of course ... How else will you be able to save perfect examples of creepy crawlies for your scrap book ? LOL

That is a good idea for the ones that are ground based . I wonder if I can coat the roof to catch the air born creepies ? ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, Barbaraok said:

Exactly.   One of the problems we now face is that we are trying to live "germ free" and it doesn't make us healthier, it ends up making us sicker.  You've probably oversaturated your system with fumes from the bleach.  Since you aren't going to store food there, don't worry.   New moms will try and sterilize everything to protect the first baby.   By second baby, the 5 sec on the floor rule is in effect, by third - everything is a go.   

Relax, start planning where you are going to go, then get out and enjoy your rig. 

So that's where the "5 seconds on the floor" rule came from :lol:. Some time ago, I read an interesting article about the balance between being sanitary and sanitized as it relates to our modern living.  It essentially states what you're saying - that we are actually making ourselves more at risk by trying to sanitize everything. 

To the OP, I highly doubt you will have any problems.  Think about the many, many other like scenarios that each of us have been exposed to over our lives an never knew it.  I suspect you now have the cleanest kitchen booth/storage bay on the road!

15 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

So that's where the "5 seconds on the floor" rule came from :lol:.

The Truth Behind the Five-Second Rule Revealed

in most cases, eating a cookie that has picked up a little dust and floor bacteria is not likely to harm someone with a healthy immune system. “Ninety-nine percent of the time, it’s probably safe,” he says. Practicing good sanitation by keeping floors and surfaces clean is the most important lesson in all of this.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived