Problem

Brought a used trailer n yes I look it over. I thought good but one storage area I missed.it connects to the kitchen Boothe n outside storage . Before tell the reason I have used Lysol bleach then pinesol bleach then bleach n bleach n bleach mixed with Dawn soap scubbing it n the reason . Is someone put the old sewer hose in it. N I'm wondering is there anything else I can do to make sure it's clean. I'm afraid to use it for anything for fear we will get sick ,help me please?

I'm not sure what it is you want us to tell you? If you did all of that and the storage area is now completely dry, what more can be done? When you buy a used RV you typically don't know what has been stored in any particular location of the RV and you should always assume that it needs to be cleaned thoroughly. I don't know that I would eat food directly from the bay in question, but neither would I loose a lot of sleep over it. You really don't know what may have been stored in the kitchen cabinets or what may have been placed on the stove or worked on at the table. I always assume that everything needs to be cleaned and that food surfaces should be cleaned with a germicide, but once cleaned, I used the space as I would normally and so far it hasn't harmed me or anyone else in our RVs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you're worried about certain things (food?) then go to WalMart, etc. and find a plastic box that will fit in there for storage. Otherwise, outside stuff shouldn't be a problem. It sounds like you cleaned it thoroughly. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ty I hope I cleaned it thoroughly ; n everything got bleached in the camper it took me close to three weeks to clean it. I wanted to make sure everything was clean. But wanted to make sure that ,that certain area was sterilize n didn't know if there was something else I could  use. To make sure it was clean n sterilize. I don't plan on eating in that storage area or putting anything that has to do with food or dishes there just trying to be safe.

You don't want to be too clean.  You body needs some exposure to germs to maintain a healthy immune system.  If it took three weeks of cleaning and scrubbing and you are still worried, the problem does not seem to be with the RV.

1 hour ago, JimK said:

You don't want to be too clean.  You body needs some exposure to germs to maintain a healthy immune system.  If it took three weeks of cleaning and scrubbing and you are still worried, the problem does not seem to be with the RV.

Agreed .

Goes around , comes around .

58 minutes ago, JimK said:

Exactly.   One of the problems we now face is that we are trying to live "germ free" and it doesn't make us healthier, it ends up making us sicker.  You've probably oversaturated your system with fumes from the bleach.  Since you aren't going to store food there, don't worry.   New moms will try and sterilize everything to protect the first baby.   By second baby, the 5 sec on the floor rule is in effect, by third - everything is a go.   

Relax, start planning where you are going to go, then get out and enjoy your rig. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 5/16/2017 at 7:47 AM, purplepisces0316 said:

Brought a used trailer n yes I look it over. I thought good but one storage area I missed.it connects to the kitchen Boothe n outside storage . Before tell the reason I have used Lysol bleach then pinesol bleach then bleach n bleach n bleach mixed with Dawn soap scubbing it n the reason . Is someone put the old sewer hose in it. N I'm wondering is there anything else I can do to make sure it's clean. I'm afraid to use it for anything for fear we will get sick ,help me please?

The only thing left, if you are still concerned about leftover germs from the sewer hose storage, is to paint the compartment with your choice of paint/sealer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Goodness, if I was concerned enough about germs to disinfect all the cabinets in an RV, then I would be compelled to carry that concern into my everyday life. 

--  Going anywhere I would carry disinfectant wipes, such as a restaurant.  1. after sitting down and moving the chair I would clean my hands.  2. If I was to touch the salt,pepper, napkin holder or any other item I would either clean my hands again or clean all the items on the table.  3. clean the spoon, fork, etc before using. 4. never add lemon slice to my iced tea. 

Or probably never eat anywhere other than my own home.  Ever notice the wait staff picking up customer plates when they are finished.  Does anyone think the staff disinfects their hands before bringing you your food from the kitchen.  YUK, YUK.   Not to mention the plates, glasses, etc are stacked where air born contaminants will drift to them.  A simple sudden sneeze will spread germs for 10 feet or more. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 5/23/2017 at 8:41 AM, Al F said:

Goodness, if I was concerned enough about germs to disinfect all the cabinets in an RV, then I would be compelled to carry that concern into my everyday life. 

--  Going anywhere I would carry disinfectant wipes, such as a restaurant.  1. after sitting down and moving the chair I would clean my hands.  2. If I was to touch the salt,pepper, napkin holder or any other item I would either clean my hands again or clean all the items on the table.  3. clean the spoon, fork, etc before using. 4. never add lemon slice to my iced tea. 

Or probably never eat anywhere other than my own home.  Ever notice the wait staff picking up customer plates when they are finished.  Does anyone think the staff disinfects their hands before bringing you your food from the kitchen.  YUK, YUK.   Not to mention the plates, glasses, etc are stacked where air born contaminants will drift to them.  A simple sudden sneeze will spread germs for 10 feet or more. 

Look up the effects of accidentally ingesting bacteria found in human waste, which is what the OP is concerned about.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Uv light is great for killing germs. Lots of people use rubber gloves for cleaning and dumping sewer. I use bare hands and wash them when I'm done. Has worked for thousands of years.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:33 PM, Ray,IN said:

Look up the effects of accidentally ingesting bacteria found in human waste, which is what the OP is concerned about.

I understand the issue of being extremely careful in a hospital where there are lots of people with compromised immune systems or having bacteria contaminate their wounds.

However in an RV'ing environment I'm not sure just how one can be absolutely sure not to ingest some very minor amount of bacteria.  For example at the dump station, your pants leg may brush up against something contaminated with black & gray water splash, or when picking up the large hose some drips will fall on the ground and splash on your legs/pants.  The bottoms of your shoes are totally contaminated.  Even if you take your shoes off when entering the RV you will or may get stuff on the steps to the door and/or the entry door.  Even taking gloves off you run the risk of flicking some contaminate on to your clothes.  Then there is the matter of pet fecal matter on the ground.  Even when people pick up the poop, a little bit remains on the ground for others to step on.  

An then we can go on and on about bacteria.  Every so often the local news on TV will have a subject about the kitchen sink have more and worse bacteria than the toilet. 

Bottom line:

-- at least as far as I am concerned, bacteria are every where and we are all constantly exposed.  99.999% of the time our immune system handles it. 

-- So don't spend a lot of effort trying to bleach every thing, just clean it and be careful. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

13 hours ago, rdickinson said:

I'd still use rubber gloves and wash hands after.  If you have an open wound, cut, roadrash, burn etc, I think you could be setting yourself up for infection.  Washing may or may not remove all contaminants.

Do you suppose moms  put on gloves every time they change diapers?  Guess what, they don't.  They do wash hands with soap and water.  Families share internal flora and fauna.   Best infection control is washing with soap and water while singing Happy Birthday song to yourself.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

16 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Best infection control is washing with soap and water while singing Happy Birthday song to yourself.  

Would it be OK if I sing a different song?  :P Might be better for some of us to count as not everyone appreciates our singing...

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

31 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

Look up 'diseases carried in human fecal matter' on UTUBE. 

IHow can I block this topic??

IHow can I block this topic??

You don't have to read the topic.  Just ignore it and only read the topics you want to.  Pretty simple. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

9 hours ago, rdickinson said:

I was joking, Its rather like being drawn to the sewer hose section whenever I go to CW

Sorry, I didn't realize you were joking.  Smiley faces and/or LOL on the line of a joke really helps us to understand the line is intended as humor.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

19 minutes ago, Al F said:

Sorry, I didn't realize you were joking.  Smiley faces and/or LOL on the line of a joke really helps us to understand the line is intended as humor.

It's kinda hard to make out those facial connotations just reading a line of print . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived