Anyone added a Lippert Ground Control 3.0 leveling system?

GR "Scott" Cundiff

We've been thinking of adding a leveling system to our 34' 5th wheel.  I know the Bigfoot is a popular add on, but I've seen some decent reviews of the lippert ground control 3.0 system.  It is all electric and the price is considerably lower.  Has anyone had experience with this system?

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Last year I helped a fellow camper level his new 5th wheel that has the 3.0 and I was disappointed in it.  It is EXTREMELY slow and doesn't have as much "travel" as the hydraulic version like the one on our 5th wheel. You have to go to each leg and "let them down" or you won't have enough travel for the leveling process.  Spend a few dollars more and get the hydraulic system! Ours is the 6 point Lippert.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

7 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Last year I helped a fellow camper level his new 5th wheel that has the 3.0 and I was disappointed in it.  It is EXTREMELY slow and doesn't have as much "travel" as the hydraulic version like the one on our 5th wheel. You have to go to each leg and "let them down" or you won't have enough travel for the leveling process.  Spend a few dollars more and get the hydraulic system! Ours is the 6 point Lippert.

Thanks for some real world feedback.  However, I just talked to NuWa's service department and they don't recommend the Big Foot for my HHII LS - something about having to move the tanks to install it - making it a very expensive process.  However, while they've seen the electric system installed on some units, he hasn't installed one himself.

--

Edit to add that I talked to Quadra this morning and the person I talked to said he had never heard of having to relocate tanks for an install.  

So now I have two knowledgeable people saying different things.  Challenging to say the least.

You are short enough you could go with the 4 jack system. You have enough basement space the hydraulics could sit inside. If you were concerned about the oil, put a cookie sheet or baking pan under it. The lippert level up had brackets that weld to the outside of the frame. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

What is your total length?

What size " I " beam Lippert frame do you have?

Lippert recommends a minimum 8 inch Lippert frame to add their "Level Up" system.  They almost mandate a 6 point system if your rig is longer than 29'. 

I'm in the process of adding a 6 point system to my 36' Hitchiker with a 10" Lippert frame. 

Both rear and mid jacks have brackets that weld to the outside of the frame. Front jacks replace the exsisting front jacks and can be located on the inside of the frame. 

I would have preferred to locate the rear jacks on the inside of the frame but lots of stuff in the way.

21 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Thanks for some real world feedback.  However, I just talked to NuWa's service department and they don't recommend the Big Foot for my HHII LS - something about having to move the tanks to install it - making it a very expensive process.  However, while they've seen the electric system installed on some units, he hasn't installed one himself.

--

Edit to add that I talked to Quadra this morning and the person I talked to said he had never heard of having to relocate tanks for an install.  

So now I have two knowledgeable people saying different things.  Challenging to say the least.

Actually I didn't recommend the Big Foot to you because I have had no experience with them.  I have had and used the Lippert 6 point hydraulic system for almost 6 years while full timing on our 2012 Montana and they have worked flawlessly.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

We had a Voltage with the electric 6 jack unit.  I really like the fact of electric-no fluid or hoses to leak.  Much simpler to diagnose a 12 volt issue than multiple valves and seals for hydraulic.  The only negative for me was the stroke was pretty short on the mid and rear jacks, so some wood blocks were necessary in some instances.  I would have no reservations at all.

v

Still researching.  This remote control Bigfoot system has my attention.  It isn't automatic and it has just one pump.  Jacks are the same as the other one.  Cost is nearly $1000 less.  Again still researching.

on my camper with either Bigfoot system the propane tanks will likely have to be moved over a bit.

http://www.thebigfootleveler.com/4-point-wireless-control-horizontal-central-pump-system.html

I just cut the Big Foot jacks off our Cameo. We are 35' OA.

Plan is:

Move the front jacks outboard of the frame to to provide a wider stance.

Tilt/slope the jacks 1/4" / foot.

Drop the jacks down 2"

Extend the mounting plates on the back jacks by 3"  to provide a wider stance.

Add cross members perpendicular to the jack to prevent the frame from twisting. 

Find a spot for 2 more jacks. The factory set up was 2 jack at the front and 2 behind the rear axle. This left about 9' at the back. When someone moves in the back of the trailer the tail to wags the dog.

Move the pumps to one (dry)  location and run hydraulic lines.

The larger diameter cylinder rods that the Bigfoot have will provide more stability.

Many of the part used in the Bigfoot System are readily available from other suppliers.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

On May 16, 2017 at 6:16 AM, WeBeFulltimers said:

Actually I didn't recommend the Big Foot to you because I have had no experience with them.  I have had and used the Lippert 6 point hydraulic system for almost 6 years while full timing on our 2012 Montana and they have worked flawlessly.

Big foot is the way to go. No hydraulic lines to run and a problem with one does not effect the other three. They are a little pricey but I have had both and the BF is far superior. We had the four Jack system installed and it was around $5,000. The two front jacks are 16,000 lbs each and the rear or 12k each if I remember correctly for a total lifting capacity of 56k. We were caught in a flooded RV park I had our 23,000lb RV wheels 8" off the ground to keep the water out of the storage. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

On May 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM, J-T said:

I just cut the Big Foot jacks off our Cameo. We are 35' OA.

Plan is:

Move the front jacks outboard of the frame to to provide a wider stance.

Tilt/slope the jacks 1/4" / foot.

Drop the jacks down 2"

Extend the mounting plates on the back jacks by 3"  to provide a wider stance.

Add cross members perpendicular to the jack to prevent the frame from twisting. 

Find a spot for 2 more jacks. The factory set up was 2 jack at the front and 2 behind the rear axle. This left about 9' at the back. When someone moves in the back of the trailer the tail to wags the dog.

Move the pumps to one (dry)  location and run hydraulic lines.

The larger diameter cylinder rods that the Bigfoot have will provide more stability.

Many of the part used in the Bigfoot System are readily available from other suppliers.

We have the same issue when it comes to rear stability so I have two crank downs at the rear. We tow a Mountain Aire which has a really narrow frame due to the tandem dually wheel set up but as long as my tires are on the ground it's not bad. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

On 5/20/2017 at 4:55 PM, Heavymetal said:

We have the same issue when it comes to rear stability so I have two crank downs at the rear. We tow a Mountain Aire which has a really narrow frame due to the tandem dually wheel set up but as long as my tires are on the ground it's not bad. 

Thought about doing that but we are often at sites that are not level so the wheels maybe off the ground or the bumper 4' off the ground 

I've pushed the rear jack  back to be 60" behind the rear wheels. I'll add a set just ahead of the axles.

The pump mounted in the front storage look brand new. The pumps mounted behind the wheels (no mud flaps) are in horrible condition.  I'm moving all the pumps into the trailer and going to run hydraulic lines.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Bigfoot is entering the marketing game by making a lighter/cheaper system that is being installed by some trailer manufactures.

People can keep an eye out for the old vs. new by looking at the different diameter cylinder rods and smaller landing pads.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

• 3 weeks later...

We are now the proud owners of the Bigfoot single pump system.  Limited experience with it so far, but when we landed in a very unlevel site the first night out it had us fully level in a couple of minutes.  I wrote it up in our blog here: http://pastorscott.com/travel/2017-project-bigfoot-leveling-system/

Archived