Auction, private sale or scrap?

davelinde

I have reached the end of my HDT adventure.  It was truly a cool vehicle, a lot of fun to drive and more than able to pull our toy hauler all over.  However I think we are moving down to a smaller rig and with other priorities in the last few years, maintenance on the HDT got away from me.   I just need to get it sold.  For a while I was stressing over how to get top dollar for it and ended up letting it sit idle too long.  At this point I have decided that whatever I can net I'll donate to charity and move on.

I have a 2001 Volvo 660 with under 700K on the clock, singled and converted for RV use, but with maintenance issues.  While letting it sit too long the clutch froze so I had to disconnect the drive shaft to start it again.  In the process of t-shooting the starter motor failed (so now it has a new starter motor), but the guy helping me get it running cannot do a clutch in my backyard so I need to move it to a shop to proceed.  The local wrecker guys won't come into my backyard so I am at kind of a standstill now.

Before I keep spending money I thought I'd ask for advice on how to sell it.  The local Volvo guy suggested an auction house near here, but I think that to get it to auction I'd need to tow it to a shop, have the new clutch done, and then look at any other maintenance items and I'm not sure I can break even on that.  We called one salvage guy who said he'd look at it and would likely offer us $2000 or less to take it away as salvage.   I have not tried to go private sale again once the clutch froze since I'm now wondering how many other maintenance issues it could have and although it seems like a good project for someone willing to pay a few grand and invest a few grand I am not sure and would hate to mislead anyone.

Any suggestions?

Dave (Tammy, Mark and Kirsten)

2009 Cyclone 3210 Toy Hauler

2001 Volvo 660

Dave,

Offer it here for cheap and let someone else inherit the problems as long as they know up front the majority of issues.  We have some pretty good DIYers here that could probably haul it and fix it.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Questions-

When did it last run?  

Does it run smooth or?

What engine transmission?

What else is wrong?

If it starts, how well does it hold air? 

Last brake service?

Hitch type?

If it starts and runs enough to release the brakes, then any pickup can inch it out of your back yard enough for a wrecker to haul it to a shop for the clutch.

As long as the power steering steers and the brakes can brake for a couple of feet, thenI would get it moved, clutch replaced, then sell it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'd soak the flywheel with water and rattle it with an air hammer to see if it frees up first assuming you have the means to do that. Otherwise like suggested, get it fixed and then sell it for maximum gain in the end.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

It ran a few months ago when I had the mobile guy in to get it to go IN to gear.  That was when we did a new starter motor.  It ran smooth, built air fine and we had lifted all four corners to be sure the wheels would turn free.  Then... he got it in to reverse somehow with the rear axle off the ground, which was when he decided the clutch was frozen.  Unfortunately is is parked against a fence and tree and could not move off the property in reverse... so he disconnected the drive shaft, built air and we tried to pull it to the road with my 4wd pickup... it began to pour rain...the Volvo is sunk in a bit and the pickup was spinning all 4 wheels on grass.   At which point I decided it was no longer a good idea to be paying a mobile mechanic by the hour to help me make ruts.

A week later I lined up a buddy with a John Deere and a tow strap (to make really big ruts I guess) and when I tried to start it.. nada.  The fuel filter is clogged to the top. I got a replacement filter but have not put it in yet... I need a plan that ends with the truck sold.

VED12 Eaton autoshift.  In addition to the clutch the brake controller throws codes and won't engage the engine brake.  It needs new battery plant - that's all I know for now.  Yes my plan was to tow it out (I have another buddy who can get me a good rate for the clutch)...  but then what.

I'm trying to figure out where a fair value for a working 2001 might be to see if doing the clutch to get it driving again is a reasonable idea.

2001 Volvo 660

17 minutes ago, davelinde said:

I'm trying to figure out where a fair value for a working 2001 might be to see if doing the clutch to get it driving again is a reasonable idea.

Well, for SURE it is worth more than the $2000 scrap value.  I'd be fixing it, personally. But I know how discouraging some of these projects can get. So I understand just wanting to get rid of it. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Dave,

Offer it here for cheap and let someone else inherit the problems as long as they know up front the majority of issues.  We have some pretty good DIYers here that could probably haul it and fix it.

I think the original owner who converted it from commercial service had over 50K in it.  I bought it for 35K.  Before I hit the maintenance issues I was thinking I could get 17.5K but I think that was unrealistic and am resolved I'll net a lot less than that (and I'm OK with it).

What do you think is "for cheap"  I agree that this truck is a candidate for a DIY guy close enough to Orlando to make moving it to a shop logistically easy.  I think I'm looking at a few grand to try to get it driving again and I'm not sure how much I could get if I did that which is why I'm floating here for ideas to help me decide how to approach this.  I mean.. if I'm only looking at netting a few grand after I spend the money getting it moving I'm not so motivated to find the time and money to even try.

2001 Volvo 660

I'd say list out the specifics of the truck, definite things you know need replaced or at least worked on. When was the last time it was actually on the road or how long has it sat? Does it have a bed on it? air hitch? I just bought my HDT, but I would have jumped on a cheaper DIY truck and I'm sure quite a few others would too.  

Some pics would certainly help to show the overall condition inside and outside of the truck including the back yard and what type of room you have to navigate it out? I'll be happy to help you with posting the pics here if you are unfamiliar with posting them. If you are to the point that you are just willing to let it go vs possibly spending thousands to fix it, come up with a price that's fair for someone to take on the risk and get it out of your yard. I'm sure a few guys would be happy to tackle it. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

1 minute ago, Jack Mayer said:

Well, for SURE it is worth more than the $2000 scrap value.  I'd be fixing it, personally. But I know how discouraging some of these projects can get. So I understand just wanting to get rid of it. 

Before the clutch froze up I was thinking of building a loader bed for it as a project for fun but my friend who fabricates is off following hail storms doing dent repair now and my wife told me I have too many projects already... and yes with the clutch and not being able to just drive it and see what kind if shape it's in... the discouragement set in big time and when my wife got a 2k scrap offer and I'm looking at about 2k to get the clutch and catch up on regular service  I started to wonder...  My gut has been to get it towed and have the clutch done and I even found a friend with a shop a few miles away who said he can cut me a deal on the clutch.  I just need a feel for the numbers here and some motivation to start doing something.

2001 Volvo 660

2 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

...to the point that you are just willing to let it go vs possibly spending thousands to fix it, come up with a price that's fair for someone to take on the risk and get it out of your yard. I'm sure a few guys would be happy to tackle it. 

I was kind of hoping someone within a reasonable drive of Orlando might want to roll the dice with me somehow.  The next week is going to be a killer for me and the two weeks after that we are in Alaska...  So I'll see you all here next month and float details and pictures to see if anyone is interested.

2001 Volvo 660

Dave,

Sorry, I don't have a good idea for you.  My idea of cheap would be around $8-10k.  I've seen work trucks in my area of Tennessee presently in service of the same vintage and mileage for $15k.  Heck, most someone can do is make you a lower offer.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  I know it's frustrating.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I would list it on Craig's list for say $10k and see if any offers roll in, you can always reduce the price as time goes on. If you take it in to get it repaired, one thing can lead to another and it may soon turn into a money pit, especially if you are not doing the work yourself and are paying for the labor.

Greg

Its not my money but I would give serious consideration to getting the clutch fixed. I would think it to be much more saleable if it was driveable.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Dave, I was recently in the same situation with my 2000 Volvo 610. Since I took up offshore sailing, having 3 RV's & 4 trucks sitting around was harder to justify. I don't have any magic answer, its a mix of timing & pricing. Having some serious mechanical issues does complicate the situation. Mine was still in good condition, everything working & running. But like you I just wanted it gone and after considering giving it to a local junk yard, I made one more run at a Craigslist ad when I got back from the Bahamas, and for unknown reasons this time I had 3 buyers fighting over it at my $10,000 asking price.

Jim

On 5/14/2017 at 8:30 PM, BlueLghtning said:

...to the point that you are just willing to let it go vs possibly spending thousands to fix it, come up with a price that's fair for someone to take on the risk and get it out of your yard. I'm sure a few guys would be happy to tackle it. 

I was kind of hoping someone within a reasonable drive of Orlando might want to roll the dice with me somehow.  The next week is going to be a killer for me and the two weeks after that we are in Alaska...  So I'll see you all here next month and float details and pictures to see if anyone is interested.

2001 Volvo 660

I did not flake out on you all... It's been a week and then some.  We are on the way to Alaska tomorrow.  Back in two weeks.

Again this forum did not disappoint.  Much appreciate the encouragement, ideas and opportunities.  

2001 Volvo 660

If it had been a manual trans. I have had great luck getting them unstuck. By starting them in gear, and hitting the fuel hard and off and on again. 99% of the time that gets one unstuck. But you need a big parking lot or empty road to pull that off.

If it were closer I would try to buy it. And have it towed to the shop. Sounds like a job for a Land all trailer. As for being hard to pull. Know its more work, but jack each side up. Place boards under the tires. Then pull out with your pickup.

Pete

event.png

• 1 month later...

OK... back at this again.  Alaska trip... etc etc.

The truck is a Volvo 660 Eaton auto-shift, VED 12 (Volvo 6 cylider 12liter).  It has around 690K on it but has not been run in a couple years.  When it was running it was about a 9 mpg truck running bobtail or towing my triple axle hauler.  It was purchased in Canada and brought into the US by a forum member here who brokered the deal for another forum member who eventually traded his HDT/FW for a Class A. 

It is singled long and set up to tow fifth wheel.  Three oversized locking steel storage bins on/under the bed.  Two tone custom re-paint.  Air to electric brake controls.  Air ride hitch.  2kw inverter, fridge, microwave, TV/backup camera.   Dual sleeper bunks with desk conversion. 

Clean interior, no smells, no stains, 

Since I've had it I've replaced the AC compressor and a starter motor.  I also replaced the brake control swapping the dual axle for a single axle programmed box to eliminate the code/fail on the ABS from when it was singled.  

Here's what I know about for issues.   The brakes were working then threw a code and the engine brake will not engage.  After sitting it would not go into gear, and after some work we got it into gear and cannot get it out again... diagnosed issue is a frozen clutch.  At the current time the drive shaft is disconnected from the transmission so it can be started to build air.  Up to that point the truck had always started easily... but in the last couple months the fuel filter clogged (site glass full to top) and no longer starts.  I have a new filter and can likely start the truck again when the time comes.  In the interim I also lost the battery plant... so currently just have two batteries - enough to crank/start it.   Here's my first attempt at a picture post.   The truck has accumulated some dark haze by sitting but with some effort it can all wash up to look like the section of hood I washed.

Questions?  Interest?  Suggestions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-t6zGfId7lbamM0VnpJOXV5eFk/view

2001 Volvo 660

I would think you'll have a few that would be interested if you just want to sell it cheap. That could be a really nice truck for someone to take on, but they would be taking on some risk if it's just sold as it is now not running or moving. 

However, if you cleaned it up and got the main issues sorted like the clutch, fuel filter, battery bank, and the brake issue with a running truck someone could drive and see, I think you'd easily have a $20k-$25k truck on your hands. You of course might uncover some other issues since it's been sitting so long, but if it's driveable with the major stuff you listed fixed, that's a great start. The fact the truck is already setup with air over electric, air hitch, inverter with microwave/fridge, plus the condo height with the double bunk and work station all add up. Best of all for someone like me totally wanting to stay away from emissions, you have a pre-emissions truck and the harder to find 660.  

I think if you don't have it running, then someone is taking a big leap of faith and you would probably have to take a lot less for it. It just depends how much you want to put in it. 

More pics would certainly help, especially seeing how the storage areas and hitch are laid out and interior pics. You can post more on google if you want more help hosting them, e-mail me at bluelghtning 'at' gmail.com and I'll host and post them for you. A good wash would certainly help the outside look better. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Hey Blue - you hit the key of my dilemma on the nose.   I've been holding onto this truck long after my wife told me to sell it because "if only I can get a few things fixed..." I thought I could get a good price for it and still be able to give someone a good deal.  I finally got going on figuring out why it would not go into gear and dropped a grand to find out the mobile guy was not willing to take it on in my backyard.   I lined up a deal on a clutch and then hit snags getting the truck moved to the shop.  I lined up someone with a tractor to drag the truck to pavement and hit the last snag with the fuel filter.   It was dominoes just getting started and got me wondering if fixing it up is a good gamble of time/money.   I'm good to gamble another few grand on the clutch if I could then get 20K for the truck running well.  However, also with trying to just get time to do things I'm also open to selling as-is to someone who understands the gamble and has the capability to take it on.

What I want to avoid is spending 5K on repairs to sell the truck of 8K and end up netting a few thousand for the effort and expense.

You bring up a good point I will stress though - this is a pre-emissions 2001 with low miles.  If I was doing this over again I'd find a pre-emissions truck attractive - I'm not expert but I have friends with commercial trucks who have spent big dollars keeping the emissions gadgets in operation...

If anyone can point me to  a way to embed pictures instead of links I've got a list of picture links.  If the forum won't let me do pictures I'll do the links next.

desk

2001 Volvo 660

Archived