Auction, private sale or scrap?

davelinde

I think with Google, you are stuck with links as mentioned.

However, if you have lots of pics and you understand about uploading them, use this link below and then let me know and I'll embed them in here. Use this link to upload your pics - https://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/upload/Jd3CbR/RVNETWORK

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

If you all think that links to pics are his biggest issue, I got news for you.

To Dave;

Your heart clearly isn't in the position it needs to be to make such a monumental decision, either way. You need to sit down, survey your abilities, your tools, and how much free time you're willing to put into what's left of your dream. Be realistic here. Now consider the pressure you'll be feeling from your wife, and have been feeling. Balance those 2 with the possible loss of money, or at best, a net zero. The value of the truck has obviously gone down from sitting, and it won't climb without intervention. Clean the mung off the exterior, clean the crap out of the cab, take some good pics, and get them posted properly. If you win a lotto, get the clutch fixed. You've had a couple people offer to name a price to them, "As is-Where is". Contact them. Continue to make repairs, as you see fit, with drivability leading the spending. This will increase the price, of course.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 hours ago, davelinde said:

Hey Blue - you hit the key of my dilemma on the nose.   I've been holding onto this truck long after my wife told me to sell it because "if only I can get a few things fixed..." I thought I could get a good price for it and still be able to give someone a good deal.  I finally got going on figuring out why it would not go into gear and dropped a grand to find out the mobile guy was not willing to take it on in my backyard.   I lined up a deal on a clutch and then hit snags getting the truck moved to the shop.  I lined up someone with a tractor to drag the truck to pavement and hit the last snag with the fuel filter.   It was dominoes just getting started and got me wondering if fixing it up is a good gamble of time/money.   I'm good to gamble another few grand on the clutch if I could then get 20K for the truck running well.  However, also with trying to just get time to do things I'm also open to selling as-is to someone who understands the gamble and has the capability to take it on.

What I want to avoid is spending 5K on repairs to sell the truck of 8K and end up netting a few thousand for the effort and expense.

You bring up a good point I will stress though - this is a pre-emissions 2001 with low miles.  If I was doing this over again I'd find a pre-emissions truck attractive - I'm not expert but I have friends with commercial trucks who have spent big dollars keeping the emissions gadgets in operation...

If anyone can point me to  a way to embed pictures instead of links I've got a list of picture links.  If the forum won't let me do pictures I'll do the links next.

desk

I think you are selling yourself short on the price of a running truck. I did a lot of watching of truck prices on here before I bought mine a few months back and you rarely see one come in under $20k in good running condition, especially singled and already setup for RV use. It seems that once trucks are converted to RV use, have a bed, air hitch installed, registered as RV, etc their prices go up compared to a commercial truck of the same age. Also, for those that do want pre-emissions, it's getting really hard to find a low mileage 1st gen truck as commercial ones that old have been run into the ground.

There are certainly some here that prefer newer and later generation trucks and don't mind the higher price tag to get a newer truck, but I think yours fits well into the other group that is looking to get into an HDT truck with a lower purchase price and is willing to accept older trucks or maybe less than perfect. You can find cheaper HDT's on the commercial market, but there is a huge gamble there too buying a truck that is probably pretty wore out and even if it turns out well, there is still quite the cost to get one singled and setup for RV use. Yours doesn't have a bed it appears, but has storage boxes, air hitch, brake controller setup, double bunk setup with work station, extras inside, and auto which most people want. All that adds up quickly when someone is outfitting a truck. 

I don't know what the clutch work will cost you, but obviously you've had some conversations about that with someone and should have an idea. The fuel filter is pretty simple. The batteries aren't a huge cost and maybe the brake issue won't be a big deal. You certainly might have a few other minor things show up, but once the truck is running and shifting good, you have just increased the price dramatically. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

You have received some excellent advice from Blue. Take it to heart. You have to consider the trouble you want to go to, but if you want to fix the truck up it should be worth your while to do so....but it takes some time to sell most RV haulers. Figure on six months, once you have it ready to go.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

5 hours ago, Sehc said:

If someone has suggested this, I am sorry. I did not read through. Don't go to all the time and trouble. Just donate it directly to a charity of your choice. Deduct the book value and feel good about it all.

That may work well if you're in as high tax bracket.  But if not, due to good planning or poor luck, selling may be a better choice.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Comment on the "donate" situation- if you sell it & donate the money, that's all you get to write off. If you donate to a charity, you get the book value, or even low book. If you donate, try to be sure the charity TAKES TITLE before selling it, not just "jump it" . Until it is TITLED in another name, liability, parking tickets etc EVERYTHING comes back to the last registered owner of that VIN. Be ready to PROVE the charity took it, and that can be a PITA. 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

gjhunter01    It sounds like your sons FL was titled as a truck. Not a MH. I believe if a truck has been converted and is titled as a MH it will sell for a higher price than a commercial truck. How much who knows?     Pat

The Old Sailor

• 2 weeks later...

Archived