Arvey

Parrformance

20170414_121434_smaller.jpg.d3b932b510740d4fd6d23bcc9d328861.jpg

Seems like toting Jeeps is becoming popular. I am glad we ran into an HDT in Arkansas, we were pushing the limits with our one ton Dodge.

My wife Licia, myself, a dog, (Diesel), and a truck named Arvey:) will be heading to Pennsylvania, and New York, to wheel with friends, and visit the Finger Lakes area, next month.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Not sure the wheelbase, never bothered to check.

The bed is a super simple 12 foot deck with recessed runners for the 10 foot ramps along the center.  In Florida a converted HDT may not have a load bearing hitch.

They may however have a bumper pull hitch.  Worked out for us, it keeps the overall length of the MH short. Only needed two foot frame extension to fit the Jeep.

We were camping in a 8' 6" truck camper, so the 28' pull behind is quite adequate for us.

We still have 15 more years to work so just 3-4 weeks a year, and several weekends a year camping.

Jackalopee

There are several wheelers in the group. 1968 Bronco here. We'll be in Rausch Creek (PA) 3rd week of June for the MEB (Mid-Atlantic Early Broncos) Round up. 

Welcome.

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Small group of us are hitting Rausch Creek June 15th and 16th. Thanks for the welcome Lockmup68 we have graduated to new rubicon's after many years of running CJ's  We are starting to enjoy the Finer Things like air conditioning and cruise control.

Jackalopee

Nice set up.  I tow my Rubicon behind my 5er when I want to bring the Jeep along.  It make me a little "long" but it works for me.  I will only tow it with someone else along for the ride in case I ever get stopped for length issues.  This way my passenger can get in theJeep and drive it if I have to separate the train.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Our overall length is about 60 feet, when you folks are trying to make CG reservations, what are you telling/not telling the Campground staff on the phone?

Jackalopee

I don't usually tell them anything other than the length of my trailer.  My HDT is singled short and is only about 18" longer than my CC Dually was so it will pretty much fit anywhere a dually will fit.  If I am towing the Jeep also, then I will get into my overall length and talk about access in the campground.  My situation is somewhat unique though, with my short wheelbase truck.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

I need to measure Arvey, he is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 30 feet.

Do you know off the top of your head what the CC truck with an eight foot bed measures to?

Jackalopee

I don't remember the exact length of my Dually, but it was around 22 feet something.  My HDT is right around 24' bumper to bumper.  I can park my HDT in a regular parking stall if I can hang the back bumper over a curb or grass or something.

event.png    

Thank you, I looked it up on Google saw that you're about right 22-foot and then I went and measured RV and measured the camper and total length is about 62 feet to inches

Jackalopee

I guess our plan will be tell them 32 feet and hope the site is wide/long enough to accommodate Arvey.

Jackalopee

Because telling the campgrounds that we have a 30 foot truck and a 30 foot trailer doesn't seem to be working in order for us to be able to make reservations. We even called one of the campgrounds that's on the heavy haulers campground sites and they didn't know what we were talking about.

Jackalopee

I will try to send pictures in the future, but we have been turned down at a few spots when we mention overall length.  I can use the Jeep to move the small camper around in a pinch. My truck is only 8 feet longer than a CC pickup, when the wife says Semi, we are told we cannot accommodate  the length, we try to explain we can  unhook just like a pickup but it is too late at that point.  I have read elsewhere on this forum that some are just mentioning the trailer length and this has been successful, in acquiring reservations.

This is not my first rideo, I carry plenty of fresh water, one sometimes two generators, one an inverter generator, three inverter's one a pure sine. Three yellow top Optima batterries and a blue top.  I can dry camp for days.  I carry a 13 gallon fuel cell for the genny.

Jackalopee

MrSeas, I apologize, I was first reading your post on my phone, and I failed to see the picture suggestion, this sounds like a great idea, I do apologize, I was welding a bracket and checking the post between letting steel cool. My fault, I am sorry.

Michael

Jackalopee

I never say 'Semi", my wife has said "As big as a walmart truck" though.  So far we have never been turned away by the campground.  We have driven up to several and said "No way" though... usually because of the local fauna....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have been in that situation a time or two, amazing what does not show on the interweb photos.

Jackalopee

42 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I never say 'Semi", my wife has said "As big as a walmart truck" though.  So far we have never been turned away by the campground.  We have driven up to several and said "No way" though... usually because of the local fauna....

I'm new to this, so help me out. 

"... We have never been turned away... "  Or  "No way"

The latter sounds like a "turn away" to me, or am I not following something?  

Never Turned away when making the reservation phone call?  But when you show up they say "no way"?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Neither on the phone or in person at the desk has a campground told us NO.  

But we have pulled into several that we look at each other and go "Nope, not getting hepatitis here"

When asked about our length, I say 38' fifth wheel, and a big damn truck.... not lying and never been asked.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Very similar story here. And I'm not scared to drive in anywhere, because I know I can go backwards anywhere I can get forwards.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived