Lurker breaking silence - questions

Brad NSW

Been lurking for two years.  Plan to retire in 2 years and either full time or spend several months/year pulling our 38ft Montana.

My dream is an HDT.  My wife isn't convinced we'd need to replace the trusty 2003 dodge 3500 with it's dependable cummins (248K miles) to do this.

So here's the questions:

1.  Is a turn-key like this: "ranger" from RV Haulers in Canada a smart way to go?  I love the extra storage box on behind the cab and I believe the 780 has a bigger upper bunk area which we would use as "storage"...but we pay a price because it's the biggest/tallest HDT, right?

2. Is the price reasonable...I've contacted him to ask if the price is Canadian (seem a little steep for US $)s.

3.  Has anyone put something like this on layaway "now" by making payments until you are able to pick it up? Or would it be reasonable to ask Greg (at RV haulers) to "store" it for up to a year, if I bought it soon? 

4. Anyone have feedback on getting it across the border into the US (import fees, licensing-in US, etc)?

Brad

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

780 is just as tall - not taller then a 670.

I bought mine off Gregg .... 6 years ago ,the only work has been a alternator that was original equipment, It wasn't helped by the trucks idleness all winter ,and air conditioner work that turned out to be just the circulation fan(got a bunch of shiny new parts now).

Money ?  well only you can answer that one ,his stuff is worth it if you want to spend it .and yes U.S. $ .

His videos show you how to do it yourself or direct some one else ,quite remarkable and sharing person for a business.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Brad,

If you have not already done so, try to make it to one of the rallies (East coast, National, or West coast), it is just a plethora of knowledge and great people. The ideas that people have put into thier trucks and beds is just amazing. My wife was not convinced either until we attended our first rally. She is now convinced. The other great feature is the amazing friendships you build at the rally. 

Steven

Steven

Brad 

Gregg will arrange delivery, importing and licensing.  He also has partnered up with a couple of Americans and they will be building units in Kansas.  See the post for Jack's new truck, I believe that is the first one.  One of the topics proposed for next years East Coast Rally is "Budget Builds".  Try to get to one of the rallies and you will see both ends of the spectrum.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

As Nigel said, The truck will be imported for you and can be delivered. So no fuss on your part.  No worries about going into scales, licensing, registration, etc. 

You can build a truck from $18,000 - $180,000. And anywhere in between. It just depends on your needs and budget. You might wonder if one is better than the other. And the answer is YES. The $18K truck might be better for someone's needs and budget. :)

One of the advantages of buying a truck that has been out there in RV use is that you know what has been done to it, and most of the issues with it should be fixed....that is known issues. The reality is, that you WILL have issues with any truck, and you need to budget for it. For the most part, with these trucks you get what you pay for. Assuming the truck has what you want on/in it. And that those things have value to you.

Marc Jones and I will team up on a presentation at the National Rally (in Oct) on truck beds. We will cover minimal/functional to higher-end. The one on the truck we just built is in the middle. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The height of the tractor should not make a difference to you. My Hitchhiker air conditioner is taller that any part of my 630. 13' 2". 

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

2 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

The height of the tractor should not make a difference to you. My Hitchhiker air conditioner is taller that any part of my 630. 13' 2". 

Brad

Our front Vent cover is 13'4" as well.  Truck height really doesn't matter except for the interior room it provides.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thanks for replies.  I saw the W.Coast rally advertised in Idaho.  Hadn't planned on being there till Sep.

We'll talk it over and see if it's doable.  Sounds like I'd get a lot of good ideas and input...and maybe even convince the wife that this is the way to go!

Wow, I was hoping it was Canadian $s.  Like some said, you get what you pay for.  I've got a great budget so it's doable.  Greg's are beautiful but I know the custom paint, mirrors, headlights all add up. 

Guess with my timeline, I could work with someone to do a custom bed and not go all out on cosmetics.  Focus on functionality that we personally need.

Any good places near San Diego that do this kind of work, that anyone has used to build?

Brad   The bed on my 98 610 was built by Douglas in Bakersfield Ca in 02. It still looks great. We have had the truck for 6 years and we are the 3rd owner. We got it from the Forum when the second owner went to a Motorhome. The 2nd owner got it off lease in 02 and then signaled it, had the box built and then put a 150k on it towing a 5er. Keep looking here and you will find one. I would say the main thing to look for is one titled as a Motorhome. It sure made it easier for us. My wife didn't want the HDT but since we got it and especially now that I'm retired she is happy to ride in the roomy and comfortable cab.    Pat

The Old Sailor

There's a wide range of HDT's out there as mentioned. I had been a lurker and reader on this forum for a long time also and consistently watched all the different trucks that came up for sale plus I watch a lot of Gregg's videos and have learned so much from those. I was dreaming about an HDT as the perfect tow vehicle once we went full time, but wasn't sure it was ever going to happen. My wife wasn't on board at first either about an HDT until we unexpectedly found our 18,000# 41'7" toy hauler that we decided was the one we wanted, yet didn't have any truck to tow it. I started shopping trucks and showed my wife the numbers on what we could get in our budget for a 3500 series truck and the fact that those trucks in the 03-06 range I was looking at would be overweight with our trailer. Then we started shopping 4500-5500 trucks and even MDT's, but prices really started climbing and having had watched a lot of Jack's videos about towing between a 550/MDT/HDT, I just knew I was going to be unhappy in the long run if we went that route. Then the truck that fit me and my budget popped up on this forum and it was a 2000 Volvo 610 that had been owned by the same gentleman for the past 13 years. It was super low mileage for the year and hadn't had a lot of miles on it in the last few years. It didn't have a bed as he just carried a goose neck, but it was singled short which in the end appealed to me since we bought a larger trailer than we were anticipating. We currently have no plans to carry a smart car, maybe a motorcycle or two on the bed or some in the toy hauler, but that would be it, so this truck worked out. My truck was on the the lower end of the prices you see on the forums, but it was the right time and the right truck and I even flew to CA to drive it 2k miles back home.

Since owning the truck about a month now, I'm very happy with the decision. We are still in our S&B home getting things ready to sell, but I've been working on the truck, learning stuff, and getting it ready to tow our trailer. I've started taking it on errands I need to run to get more used to driving it and my wife loves riding in it. I'm blown away at how manuverable this truck is and have become a lot more comfortable with it than I thought I would be by now. She's not sold on driving it yet (especially since ours is a 10spd manual), but she's very happy now that we got it. I'm happy and I know once we are towing our big trailer, I will be so much better off.

Gregg's RV's are top notch and if I had a budget that fit those trucks he sells, I would buy one in a heart beat. The fact you have 2 years still means you could find a truck a cheaper truck spending time getting it outfitted yourself or just make the decision to get one of Greggs. I think in that time, you'll see quite a few HDT's come up for sale on the forum and when the right one pops up that fits your needs, be ready to jump on it. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

You should check racinjunk.com and horse trailer world. I got mine from horse trailer world with a herren built bed. All I had to do was add a fifth wheel ET hitch. The horse and race guys use these trucks also so a good place to look.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Hi Brad,

Unless you are going to put a smart car on the bed I would not worry about getting everything done right away. I built a wooden bed and used that for 2 1/2 years until we got the smart. Don't let the getting the fancy things done hold you back from getting the truck and using it. You will love it. Even if you don't have the truck consider coming to a rally. That will answer a lot of questions and without a doubt someone will let you drive their truck and better yet let your wife drive. That tends to sell them on the idea. 

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Looks like the wife is up for the Idaho rally.  Now I have to check if I can get away from work.

Should be able to make reservations tomorrow, if work allows.

Plan to arrive Thursday PM and depart Monday AM, which gives us Fri-Sun to learn as much as we can.

Look forward to meeting some of you and learning a lot!

7 minutes ago, Brad NSW said:

Looks like the wife is up for the Idaho rally.  Now I have to check if I can get away from work.

Should be able to make reservations tomorrow, if work allows.

Plan to arrive Thursday PM and depart Monday AM, which gives us Fri-Sun to learn as much as we can.

Look forward to meeting some of you and learning a lot!

Hopefully it works out.  We'd be happy to have you at the WCR.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

You do not have to add lots of "fancy" stuff to a truck to make it a very functional hauler. Really, all you need is the hitch (with maybe frame extension), Jackalopee, Brake controller (or BluDot/Hayes), some full fenders (to keep splatter off the RV), and lights.  Everything else is optional. 

As Brad said, you can build a bed from wood to get you by, or no bed at all. Later, AFTER you make sure the truck is mechanically sound, you can add a hauler body if that is what works for you. But spend the money on the mechanicals for the truck first - ensuring that you have something reliable. 

You really should plan to come to the National Rally. You will learn enough there to save you the cost of the trip, and so much more. The WCR will be helpful as well. The key is to obtain as much info as possible before making buying decisions. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived