Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lappir

Pellet Grills

11 posts in this topic

Anyone carting around a pellet grill? Found a Green Mountain grill in a motorcycle shop I visited yesterday and a Treager at a local business I try to support when I'm home. Started researching and found Rec Tec also mentioned. Anyone have experience with any of these grills. I travel single but cook for left overs.

Thanks in advance for replies.

 

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have friends that use the Green Mountain grill and really like them, also some have the Treager and also like them, I do know the food they prepare is delicious!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a Treager at home but carry the Green Mountain Davey Crocket while on the road.  I actually prefer the Green Mountain and would highly recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up the Davey Crockett yesterday and put it together last night. Did the initial "Burn In" this morning. Super simple to operate. Plug it in, touch a button and you are good to go. Not sure how I feel about the 12 volt cord with male ends on each end.  After your frequent use, how do you feel about it ewacowboy?

Did have a surprise when I took it apart after the initial burn. It was cool enough to touch and I found a lot of ash scattered around inside. (it was a windy day) Mom had two vacuum's sitting in the garage so I picked one up and started cleaning up the ash. Made the mistake of hitting the fire pot and finding some hot embers still at the bottom. Immediately took the bag out of the Vac and it's sitting well away from the house and has been for a couple hours. WON'T DO THAT AGAIN.

Can't wait until next week when I can actually cook something on it.

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We had a Treager  while living in the S&B and liked it enough to buy a Davy Crockett to carry with us in the motorhome but just got rid of it and went to a 2 burner Camp Chef.. But you will enjoy the Davy Crockett I'm sure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy!

 

We recently purchased a portable Traeger pellet wood smoker grill at Costco. It cooks well and easy to use. I wood like it to have a little more smoke flavor in the meat, maybe I just have not figured the cooking process correctly yet.

 

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had a table top Traeger for about 3 years now and will carry it with us when we travel. I also have a regular Webber Q200 grill as well, but every once-in-awhile we just have to use the Traeger. We love the taste of the added smoke, especially on things like pork chops or a pork loin. We also will use it at home in "smoker" mode to smoke salmon and arctic char. Because we have to smoke for about 5 hours when we do fish I won't subject my neighbours in the RV park to the smoke for that long. I think it drives them crazy and makes them all drool. :)  And be prepared...  When you start one up and the neighbours smell it, they are all going to come by to ask what you're cookin'...   Gets their juices flowin'... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richardmacdonald2001 said:

We have had a table top Traeger for about 3 years now and will carry it with us when we travel. I also have a regular Webber Q200 grill as well, but every once-in-awhile we just have to use the Traeger. We love the taste of the added smoke, especially on things like pork chops or a pork loin. We also will use it at home in "smoker" mode to smoke salmon and arctic char. Because we have to smoke for about 5 hours when we do fish I won't subject my neighbours in the RV park to the smoke for that long. I think it drives them crazy and makes them all drool. :)  And be prepared...  When you start one up and the neighbours smell it, they are all going to come by to ask what you're cookin'...   Gets their juices flowin'... 

I have endured the smell for many months at a couple RV parks so I won't feel too bad firing it up next winter in one of those parks. My brother gave me some steaks today to fix next week when I get back to Mom's house. I left the grill there since working 12 hours for the next three days won't give me any time to use it. It is all ready to cook I think. Steak and Baked potatoes will be the first meal next Friday evening. Hoping for beginners luck and it all comes out great. 

 

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2017 at 11:37 AM, lappir said:

Picked up the Davey Crockett yesterday and put it together last night. Did the initial "Burn In" this morning. Super simple to operate. Plug it in, touch a button and you are good to go. Not sure how I feel about the 12 volt cord with male ends on each end.  After your frequent use, how do you feel about it ewacowboy?

I don't have any problems with the 12V cord.  It's plenty long enough to reach wherever we want to run the cooker.  I think you'll really like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ewacowboy said:

I don't have any problems with the 12V cord.  It's plenty long enough to reach wherever we want to run the cooker.  I think you'll really like it.

Thanks for the info. It certainly is long and worked well for me with my initial burn in. Can't wait to use it for the first time this weekend. 

 

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple T Bones, a Rib Eye and two potatoes. Heated to 350 and put in the potatoes for 15 minutes and turned the temp down. The T Bones were huge so one started at 260 for about an hour (Mom) doesn't want any pink in her steak.  Put the another one and the Rib Eye 30 minutes later and turned up the temp. Easy to do with the WIFI app. Put the temperature probe in and set for 170. Audible alarm when it reached desired temp. Really happy with how it all worked, and so was the family. 

 

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dish For My RV Military Offer.

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rvonthego.com

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.