When to buy versus changing residency with PMF

lump52

We are going to be transitioning to full time RV in just under 1 year.  We are looking and evaluating options on Class A.  If we can do it legally, we want to purchase and take delivery in SD where we plan to set up residency.  Since we currently live in NV we are not trying to run away from income tax, as we do not have any here, but we certainly would like to avoid the outrageous sales tax and registration here.  We truly plan to set up in SD for many reasons. But our house will not likely be sold before our MH purchase.  We are going to try to sell house before the big retirement date and would like to have MH to live in for as long as we need to finalize all NV business. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience either with NV or another state.  I know that the Las Vegas area is not strange to out of state plates as we are near Nellis Air Force Base and they get new deployments from all over. A lot of Alaska plates (:

I did almost the same thing last year.  Purchased my Toy Hauler in Montana, lived in Washington.  The dealer gave me a 30 day temporary plate.  That gave me time to contact one of the Mailbox outfits in SD, get that paperwork done thru them, registering my TH and my Truck (WA at the time) in SD and get vehicle/trailer insurance.  Whew.  Paid tax once on the Toy Hauler in SD.

My property in WA didn't close until NOVEMBER, I had left in October to beat winter to Arizona.  The title company took care of everything for me, deposited my check, filed all needed papers.  Done deal.

All went well other than a couple small glitches, but was worth the effort.  As long as your plates are current, I wouldn't worry about what state they are from. 

The mail service did it all?  I was worried about having to set up SD driver's licenses and all before I purchased.  Do you mind telling me the name of the mail service that helped you? I have sent an inquiry to Dakota Post and waiting for a reply.

Thanks

13 hours ago, lump52 said:

We are going to be transitioning to full time RV in just under 1 year.  We are looking and evaluating options on Class A.  If we can do it legally, we want to purchase and take delivery in SD where we plan to set up residency. 

There is a fine line between what is legal and what might get caught. The fact that you live in an area that has many out of NV plates may well make you unlikely to be caught, does not in any way change what NV law requires if that concerns you. To know for sure exactly what the laws require best be determined by visiting the local DOT office or an NV attorney.  The following information comes from the NV-DOT website.

Do I Have to Register My Car in Nevada?Top ↑

You must register your vehicle in Nevada if you are a resident as outlined below or a non-resident who meets certain conditions. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle in Nevada is $1,000.

New residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. See our New Resident Guide. In most vehicle sales, the deadline to register the vehicle is 30 days from the date of the sale.

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 "Resident" defined.

1. "Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

There would be no issue in registering the RV in SD if you were to leave it parked in SD or for the state of NV, not bring it into the state for more that a visit. It would be my best guess that you are not likely to be caught if you buy and register in SD while living in the RV parked in NV, but that doesn't mean that you won't be violating NV law.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, lump52 said:

The mail service did it all?  I was worried about having to set up SD driver's licenses and all before I purchased.  Do you mind telling me the name of the mail service that helped you? I have sent an inquiry to Dakota Post and waiting for a reply.

Thanks

http://www.mydakotaaddress.com/

http://myhomeaddressinc.com/

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/

I use mydakotaaddress and have been happy with their service.  They all have their ways of doing things, so you can decide what works best for you.  A search should provide you with a few threads to see what people on this forum have to say.  My take on working out the details is that not everything is black or white - some things overlap and work themselves out.  This month I'm hanging out in my old home town in WA, my bank doesn't care that I have a SD address on my checks, the car dealership doesn't care that I have SD plates when I go in for service, I pay WA taxes on everything necessary - even my RV space at the park.  Do what you need to do and the rest will play out.

If you have any specific questions, send me a pm - be happy to answer.

Also, you can register to vote there with that same receipt as long as it is from the same county. When we moved to SD we didn't realize that. We stayed at a great State park south of Sioux Falls. Got our driver's licenses issued, car registered, and went to register to vote. We found out that, even though we had a Sioux Falls address, our voter registration would be in the neighboring county because that's where the park was. Two weeks later we came back to Sioux Falls and stayed in town at the Fairgrounds. THAT receipt let us switch the voter registration from Lincoln County to Minnehaha County.

We actually registered our MH in SD while we were in OK. The MO plates were about to run out, and we knew that we were heading to SD next, so we talked to our mail service, Your Best Address, and they talked me through the process. Somewhere along the line, though, either they or I miscalculated, and the check we sent was for more than what was needed. The new plates came with a refund check! The Jeep wasn't up for renewal, so we elected to save the $25.00 handling fee and do that registration ourselves. Remember that SD has no vehicle inspection, so you can register and renew without bringing the vehicle to the State.

Your driver's license expires on your birthday, but you can renew it a certain amount of time beforehand. I suspect that those fulltimers who have winter birthdays frequently ask to renew as early as possible.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived