Top of the World Highway

Jemstone

We are headed for the Yukon this summer and we would like to visit Dawson.  The Klondike Highway from Whitehorse to Dawson is paved, but frost heaves are a constant problem.  I would also like to continue on from Dawson on the Top of the World Highway to Tok.  However, if the highway is 300 kms of washboard it is no place for my HDT & 5th wheel.  Our Volvo has no form of traction control and will get stuck on wet grass if I'm not careful.  Washboard beats up vehicles and can cause a loss of control when cornering so I'll just backtrack to Whitehorse if some of the route is poorly maintained.  Has anyone driven an HDT over the Top of the World Highway during the past couple of years?  If so, how was it?

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

We came across the TOTW Hwy in August, 2016 and there was almost no washboard.  There was some minor potholing, 1-3 inches deep, and 6-10 in diameter in a few places, but overall the hwy was in very good condition.  The one place there was washboard was about 1-2 miles on the Tok side of Chicken in Alaska.   Of course conditions change with the amount of use the hwy gets between being plowed. 

Back tracking all the way from Dawson City to Whitehorse is one extremely long drive that I would think 3-4 times about doing. 

I don't understand the loss of control when cornering on washboard.  Very simply go slow.  Yes, I have experienced loss of control in my small Class A MH and also in a car/truck, on a curve on washboard, but it was easily taken care of by going slow.

If you are interested in our experience with the drive across the TOTW Hwy here is a link to our blog entry for the drive. The are some photos of the road conditions we experienced.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Conditions change every year so no way of telling how it will be.  You could do a stakeout in Tok or up the highway without your RV to question folks just coming off it.  Take a short day trip to do it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks for the information.  Driving slowly is something I'm quite good at.  My suspicion of "gravel" roads is due to my life on Arizona's back roads, most of which are maintained infrequently and can shake the fillings from your teeth.  It also stems from driving the Alaska Highway in the late 1960's when the trucks threw gravel up to about 4" in diameter at your windshield.  I got off lucky with a broken wind wing and no other damage.  It seemed like a high percentage of folks broke an axel, especially if they were in a hurry.  

Actually, I'll have so much gold by the time I leave the Klondike that I'll just hire a slow driver for the trip.  I have my gold pan and I'll be on the Klondike gold streams - what could go wrong?

John McLaughlin

Howdy!

its been years since our trip to Alaska. We opted to due the TOTW hwy on our way out of Alaska in our MDT and 5er we where 65' then. Seems most folk due it going into Alaska. That year it was a very wet drive for those that went early. We stayed until mid September and the TOTW hwy was dry and we had no traffic, I think we saw one commercial vehicle coming from the other direction. The campground in Chicken was not crowded, and no waiting at the ferry crossing at Dawson City. Just something to consider. We're planning to go back to Alaska next year so we'll more than likely do the same thing, we now have a MDT and toy hauler and we're 64'.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

You won't have to worry about folks driving fast on the TOW and throwing rocks. We've never seen one drive fast. It's barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass at the same time.

If you decide to do it in Fall be sure to check beforehand when the ferry is due to shut down for the winter.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We will be out of the far north by fall.  When I lived in Anchorage I remember getting about a day of beautiful fall weather and then the first major winter storm would move in and fall was over, often in mid September.  By that time this year I'll be salmon fishing in Oregon.  We don't plan on going south of the Alaska Range, of which Mt. McKinnley/Denali is high point.  The Alaska Range creates a rain shadow - plenty of rain south of the Range but much drier north of it, like in Fairbanks.  Warm sunny weather north and overcast drizzle in in the south.  We will stay with the sun.  I figure I can spend a couple of weeks gold panning in the Klondike and pay for the trip and some extras, maybe even a new truck, if I don't get shot for claim jumping.  The only small piece of discouragement is knowing that thousands of men have panned all this gravel several times since gold was discovered.

John McLaughlin

Archived