Insuring a Sportchassis in Massachusetts

Jim Gee

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2009 Sportchassis (M2-106  GVWR 19,500) and have run into an issue trying to insure it.

After searching this forum for insurance companies, I called several insurance companies mentioned and most have said they do not insure in MA. So I decided to go through my local insurance agency and they said I would have to insure it as a commercial vehicle. I currently own a 2015 3500 GMC Denali Dually and it cost me around $1,100 a year with full coverage. (The GMC is registered with commercial plates but a personal policy) My local agent told me today it is going to cost me $3,048 / year to insure the Sportchassis!! I then asked if I needed to move my 2017 GD Momentum toyhauler to this policy also, and he said I did as it has to be on the same policy as the truck that is pulling it. OK, so how much is that going to be as I'm only paying around $550 / year for the toyhauler as it was on the same policy as my 2015 GMC 3500. He told me my toy hauler will now be $3,410 for a total of truck and trailer at $6,462 per year!!!!!

My question is there anybody else on this forum who insures a Sportchassis and a toyhauler in MA and what do you pay??

I have an excellent driving record so I know that is not the reason. My insurance says it is because the Sportchassis has to be registered as a commercial vehicle on a commercial policy.

TIA, hopefully some else has run into this before and can provide some insight.....

Do you have a brick & mortar Home or is the Toyhauler your home..

When I had my Brick & Mortar home I carried my Liability on the home but now the RV is my home thus the liability is with Fifth Wheel. My Sports Chassis and DRV FW insurance is considerably cheaper than your $6,462. but I'm not in MA.

Clay

2015 FL M2-106 and DRV MS 38PS3/Dallas Licensed in Texas insured by General by through Miller

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I don't know if they can help, but several of us have used Miller Insurance out of Oregon. They wrote a policy for my HDT through National General and it's only about $800/yr. I did have to move the 5th wheel to the policy too, but it was just under $600/yr. I'm not in MA and not sure if they would treat an MDT different than an HDT? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Same as above.  We insure our MDT through Miller Ins with the coach, but home domicile is Washington state.  My regular insurance agent is a friend of mine and he said Safeco would need to insure the MDT as a commercial vehicle as well, so we ended up at Miller.  It's worth a call.....

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

Placed a call to Miller Insurance and left a voice mail. Then tried to get an online quote through their website and received the following message:

At this time, Miller Insurance Agency
does not write insurance for the state
you have selected.

And the search goes on..........

I'm hopeful that in the near future I will be towing with a SportChassis,  just sold my Kodiak.

I had my insurance company get me a quote for a 08 with a purchase price of around 72k.

I was paying 628.00 for full coverage on the Kodiak and the SportChassis would be 900 to 1050 depending on deductibles. That's through ( Erie Insurance).

2007 Freightliner Sportchassis M2 106

2014 Raptor 4014LEV with 17.5 tires and a residential frig.

7 hours ago, Jim Gee said:

Placed a call to Miller Insurance and left a voice mail. Then tried to get an online quote through their website and received the following message:

At this time, Miller Insurance Agency
does not write insurance for the state
you have selected.

And the search goes on..........

I didn't end up using them, but I think another company was Thum insurance out of MI I think? Maybe another company called C&C. Search the HDT section for insurance you should get a few more leads to try. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Well I tried Erie and they don't sell insurance in MA. I contacted a different local agent in my hometown and they will be able to provide me insurance for my Sportchassis at a price I don't like, but at least I will have insurance!! The cost will be around $2,600 per year, ouch!! They also said I don't have to move my RV to the commercial policy so that cost will be the same (around $500).

So if anyone else is looking to insure a MDT in MA, good luck and be prepared to open your wallet very wide!! :D

I leave tomorrow morning to drive to NC to pickup my 2009 Sportchassis, really looking forward to it!!

22 hours ago, Bobi and Dick McKee said:

We got ours through Good Sam and it is national general.  We pay about 1400 a year for a 2015 Sport Chassis.  Don't know about Mass. but it is worth a try.

Yup, I tried Good Sam / National General and they don't sell in Massachusetts either!!

9 hours ago, Jim Gee said:

Just tried FCINSURANCE website and as expected, they don't write policies in Massachusetts!!

I guess I need to move!!  :angry:

I would give them a call Monday just to make sure. I think the site said the same when I tried. 

Cant hurt to call

Maybe mention deflate gate was true ?

I'm curious. What sets MA a side from the rest of the states. Does MA have some liability limit or what.

I going from memory on this, NY has some of insurance law that requires Class 2 or3 truck to be insured as commercial thus higher.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

• 2 weeks later...

Archived