Generator

oldride

Looking to buy a generator. I have a 37.5 ft Alpine with 2 ac units. What is the smallest gen i should think about. The DW likes her ac.

Please help been married 36 years would like to stay that way for another 36.

2011 CAN-AM Spyder Rt SE5, 2010 Alpine 5th wheel, 1998 Vovlo VNL610

Hopefully 2 years 6 month till full time retirement.

Two Honda EU2000is units run in parallel will run one AC and all the other components in the trailer without any real issues.  These generators are light, quiet and can run a long time on a tank of gas.  The only limiting factor on these generators (IMO) is they are pull start only.  They do not have an option for an electric start.  You can jump up in size to a 3000 watt or 3500 watt single generator to do the same work and get electric start, but it will be a much heavier generator and will be difficult to move around.  I have had both set ups and prefer the 2 - 2000 watt Hondas.  Of course you could also add an on board generator to your trailer.  It will run everything, including both AC's at the same time (assuming you size it properly), but you will spend a lot more money to have that convenience.  If you want to stay portable and run both AC's, you will have to get two 3000 watt (or better) generators and run them in parallel.  I have done this as well, but then it is really a pain to get those two generators stowed to move.  What ever you do, if you go portable, stick with inverter style generators.  They have cleaner power and run much quieter than contractor type or hybrid (contractor/RV) type generators.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

21 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Two Honda EU2000is units run in parallel will run one AC and all the other components in the trailer without any real issues.  

X2 Either the Honda's or the Yamaha's are an excellent choice. Very light weight, quiet, and both brands can be configured to run on an external tank. Running a single aircon, in parallel, you can easily get 5-7 hours off a single tank of gas.

There IS, however, options to have them modified for electric and remote/auto start. A bit expensive, but a reputable company.

For an external tank, and if you are a bit handy you could throw together a dual tank line for much less than a quarter of what Pinellas is asking. On a 6 gallon tank, that equates to around 30-40 hours of run time.

31 minutes ago, Yarome said:

There IS, however, options to have them modified for electric and remote/auto start. A bit expensive, but a reputable company.

Pinnellas Power Sports is a good company and he has come up with some excellent accessories for Honda generators.  I have spoken to him personally about his stuff.  He, however, does not have a remote start kit for the EU2000 generator.  He has a remote shut off kit for it, but not a remote start kit.  The generator needs a starter motor in order to add a remote start kit.  The EU2000 only has a pull start and therefore cannot have a remote start feature.  It is still an excellent generator and I am very happy with mine.  It almost always starts on the first pull.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

38 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

..but not a remote start kit.  

Quite correct. I apologize if I wasn't clear. He has the electric start kit, but not the remote start. That would be after-after-market, but it's a possibility. 

I'm kind of with Chad though. I don't consider it worth the cost. They are so easy to turn over it's hardly a bother.

We have had a Champion 3100 for several years that we use infrequently and we are very satisfied with it. It can easily be found for less than half the price of the Honda's or Yamaha's. It will power a 13.5 A/C.  We call it our OR generator because you can run the A/C OR the microwave OR the coffee pot OR the vacuum OR the hairdryer.......  Pretty much just one major electrical appliance at a time. We have a residential fridge we run thru the inverter.

All of that said without getting into brands if I had to do it all over again I would get 2 2000w units with a parallel kit.

With the Champion for example each puts out 1700w so that's 3400w and it will run a 15k A/C. Plus if it's cool you only need one gen, quieter, lighter, less fuel...

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

I'll fly in the face of everyone here and suggest you get a used Onan.  Your location is 135 miles from New Iberia.  Call Tony at Electrical Innovations Inc, 337 606 9802.  Tony did a lot of work on my rig this last trip both electrical, mechanical and welding.  He or they  are  a 1 stop shop for all things which roll down the road.

Do yourself a huge favor and at least call him.  They are there 7am.  

If there is room in the front of your trailer, it could go there, if not perhaps in front of one of your fuel tanks on the Hauler.  Pulling fuel from your mains if you have diesel.   Run wiring back to the rear of the truck to a couple of plugs, one for power and one for a remote start from the trailer.

I have done all t his so it can be done.   Re the smaller generators, they have to be stored somewhere safe and locked up.  Each one gobbles up one truck storage compartment...not for me.

Tony is on the prowl for a used 7.5 or 8kw Onan to replace the 7kw Multiquip unit I currently have....60 amps is better than 27 or 28, less powersharing.

At least give him a call.  He can steer you in the right direction.  Just tell him Mr Roger as they call me told you to call him.

You have nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain.

These guys can help you with your truck and trailer and their labour rates are more than fair.

Finding someone reliable and can be trusted is huge in my book.  if there are things to be done on my rig next late fall, he is the one who will be doing it, even if it means a 3000 mile drive.

They will store your rig, truck and or trailer in a locked compound or even inside the building.

Let me know what you decide.

I agree with Roger that a built in Onan is the best way to go.  It gives the most options for use and auto start and etc.  However, it is a fairly expensive option unless you get lucky and come across a used deal.  I put an Onan 6500 commercial two phase generator in my new trailer and prefer the convenience over the various Honda portable configurations I have used in the past.  The Hondas (or Yamahas) are definitely cheaper and are good at what they do.  It all comes down to what convenience level do you want and how much are you willing to spend.  They will all do the job.

event.png    

The generator can serve a number of purposes, Kettle, coffee maker, toaster, dishwasher, washer and dryer, hot water heater, ac/heatpumps...all that plus if you have a residential fridge like so many do, it will charge your batteries often thru in my case a magnum 2812 Inverter, charger.

Just ratchet down the charge rate on your control pane which could be on the bedroom wall above the generator compartment.

With a 5 or 6.5 gas Onan yo can do all this but you still have to pack gas. There may be room for a tank in your truck tank area under the cab.

Call and or visit his location, he will go on the hunt for what you need.  Personally I go for overkill, you can never have too much power, sewer hose, water hose or power cord. You could be pleasantly surprised with your collective findings.

It would be nice to have a solar setup like Chads, all top notch components but I need to draw the line somewhwere.

Commonly you will see used 7.5 Diesel Onans for 7500$ plus plus plus.  He will get me one for about 4-5k plus 1k installation.  This after having gone over it.

He is the guru to talk to...like I said earlier, you have nothing to lose but your time of a phone call.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re your original post, I was without 1 ac earlier in the year.  My rig is 40 ft, I have also spoken to someone a couple of years ago in Central BC who bought a cheaper 40' RV with only 1 ac. He said 1 wasn't enough to keep his rig cool.  In my case I found the same.  The rear AC didn't cool the front bunk area down enuf at night.  Also 1 ac is running a lot more putting more stress on that unit.  With a second ac, you can choose the zone you want cooled.  Perhaps running both to cool the whole unit down.  Running both puts less stress on the units, they are more or less coasting rather than pushing uphill, if you follow me.

With both ac's running you  could be left to powershare  the rest of the appliances.

The are powershare devices available, one is made by Intellitec to in my case," take the stupid out of it"

Again, Tony can give you an objective opinion.  It will be up to you to make the decision.

I go bigger unlike someone I know who is a minimalist and has already begun regretting his RV decision.

One more thing, with Hurricane season approaching, if you have a power outage, you could put a transfer switch on your residential electrical panel and feed your house to keep fridge and freezer etc up and running.

On May 11, 2017 at 1:56 PM, oldride said:

Looking to buy a generator. I have a 37.5 ft Alpine with 2 ac units. What is the smallest gen i should think about. The DW likes her ac.

Please help been married 36 years would like to stay that way for another 36.

Go to govliquidaters.com and look at the 3kw military surplus gensets. They put out 31.6 amps or fully in closed they are electric start and have an auxiliary full pump and hose for running from a auxiliary tank. You can pick one up that 10-200 hours on it for 400-500 dollars depending on location. I know that there is 5 of them in OH right now on auction and one has 20 hours on it and the bid is $300. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

3 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Reported Jerry

I have hidden the "Jerry" post since he links to the same commercial website and it is also his email address. In addition, he claimed and SKP number which does not exist. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In 2008 I bought a Boliy Pro 3600 genset. When you read the specs,noise, continous output, etc. it outperforms Honda, Yamaha, and all other similar sized gensets. It served me well while we used the 5er, ran either the 13.5 or 15.5 air conditioner/heat pump equally well, with power to run the microwave, lighting, etc simultaneously. I especially liked the light weight-77#.

I'm still using that genset today around the farm for remote power. The only thing I've had to replace is the carb, which new cost $39. That was because I left this new gas in the carb while stored about 8 months without being started. Had it used the carb drain feature it wouldn't have ruined the carb.

While here at home I tested it by running both heat pumps at the same time. It would power both OK, but any power  beyond lighting would trip the internal safety breaker.

As you see on the website, models are available with remote electric start.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Trying my best to search the forum and build on existing threads... so as not to wear out the forums core group of advisors :D.  I'm now looking for a small portable generator for our TT.  I'm likely going to get either the Yamaha EF2000 (or EF2400) or Honda EF2000 as they seem to get the most recommends on this and other RV forums.  While it won't run the AC, at least it will keep the rest of the trailers power devices operable.

My brother-in-law recently purchased one of these as he likes the dual fuel source option - options are sometimes handy.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100263-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496346962&sr=8-1&keywords=Propane+Generator+Rv

The Honda nd Yamaha are small enough to fit into the TT's pass through door (if angled in).  But now seeing that space is open to the queen bed lid, I'm thinking that storing a generator there will result in gas/oil smell inside the trailer... hmm?  I could stow inside the truck bed canopy, but not sure if those fumes would be good for the dog.

This has me back to looking at a platform added onto the frame and above the propane tanks, or a small deck on the TT's rear bumper.  Anyone using this arrangement?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/trailer-tray-a-frame-cargo-carrier/70918

Archived