Motor issues on diesel

We are in Winnemucca, Nv. and we are having diesel issues, has anyone had any motor work done in that city. Any help would be appreciated, Bruce

Sue & Bruce

Annie, The springer

2006 Allegro Bus, 42'QDP

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, toad

Here's one that gets good reviews on Yelp, for what it's worth.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dave-schirrick-co-winnemucca

Also check RV Service Reviews site. There are some in Reno if you can drive there.

http://rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?Submit=&sortby=location&state=NV&search=&CategoryID=&ZipCode=&Miles=&SearchState=&KeywordState=

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have been traveling from SoCal headed to Id. We have the 8.9 Cummins and I would get a stop engine warning but it would not stay on very long and I would lose power. 23mph coming up Sherwin summit on 395. It might be a turbo problem but I don't know if that would throw a code. As you can see we have a 2006 Allegro Bus, motor was just serviced, belts are new and air filter is clean, K & N. I am not familiar with symptoms of turbo failure.

Sue & Bruce

Annie, The springer

2006 Allegro Bus, 42'QDP

Throw away the K&N air filter, it does not perform well in this ISO 5011 air filter test. Just search the internet for K&N air filter results and you will be sorely surprised. That said, a poorly performing air filter will not itself, cause a stop engine code, it will cause accelerated engine wear according to the test.

Do you have a gauge that shows turbocharger boost? Oil pressure? Coolant temperature?  Recent drop in fuel mileage?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

"Just serviced..." - If all was good before, then here are some things to consider:

-With a strong flashlight, look over the engine plumbing from the air cleaner to the turbo, to see if a hose has been knocked loose, or a hose clamp might have slipped.

-Get new fuel filters and replace the ones that are on the coach

-If it runs better for awhile, then goes bad again, then you can start fuel contamination treatment.

-If it does not run better, find a shop that can pull codes off of the ECM and see where that takes you.

Best of luck to you, please let us know the specific engine, and what you find out as the root cause - as it could help someone else in the future.

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Ok, thanks to all who responded, all good ideas. I took it to the shop in Winnemucca, two issues showed up on the scan, (A) coolant sensor wasn't reading properly, coolant level was full, (B) lift pump and high pressure pump show fault, so they will be replaced on Tuesday. Although lacking in power, I have traveled over 500 miles with this condition, the motor ran, just not very powerful. BTW, 2gypsies we went to the place you recommended, they ran a scan right away and ordered parts.

Sue & Bruce

Annie, The springer

2006 Allegro Bus, 42'QDP

Ok, here is the latest and kind of less money, low coolant sensor throws motor into limp mode, loss of power but not shutting it down. I had a 08 Fl. with 8.3 Cummins, and when that code displayed, I had 30 sec. to shut it down or it did it by itself. Anyway, new sensor runs fine, buttt, one of the cylinders has lost its exhaust gasket, so that will be fixed tomorrow. Part has to come from Reno. So all is good so far, be back on the road Thursday God willin and the crik don't rise. Thanks the all you SKP's who gave me peace of mind by responding, Bruce

Sue & Bruce

Annie, The springer

2006 Allegro Bus, 42'QDP

Archived