Total Eclipse Weekend, Aug 18 -22, 2017

Kirk W

There is a post in the volunteers wanted forum related to a host for an eclipse weekend event near Bend, OR and I've been seeing similar reports for special events that weekend from all around the US. I just did a Google search for the event andI find a series of special events planned for many different areas, all proclaiming themselves as the best place to be for that big event. So this leaves me wondering, does anyone know why the different areas and what makes each one believe that their location will be best? 

EDIT: In digging further, I just found this site that lists the path of the complete eclipse shadow, should you be interested. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What makes it the BEST.  Well everyone who is selling something is always the best.

The BEST place to see the eclipse:

--  The desert..  Most likely to have clear sky to actually see the eclipse

--  Some place within about 20-30 miles north or south of the center line of the eclipse.  The closer to the center line the longer you will have to see the full eclipse.  The max number of minutes for total eclipse if you are exactly at the centerline is about 2 minutes and 2 seconds.   I think the farther east you go the time increases by some several seconds.

For very specific info about location and just how long you will have to view the total eclipse go to:

--  First page and click on the state you are interested in

-- That will take you to a listing of the States.  On the upper right corner of the page is a map of the state, click on the map

--  If you clicked on the Oregon map you will see a map of the state with a listing of all the locations you can view the eclipse.

--  From the Oregon map, if, for example you clicked on the town of Mitchell   you will see a page showing the start time of the eclipse and the more info for Mitchell.

--  For some more excellent detailed info once you are on the  town of Mitchell  page, look at the map to the right of center: Xavier Jubier's interactive map of the path near Mitchell  and click on Launch a full-screen version of the above map! 

--  Once you are on the full-screen version of the map, you can zoom down on the map to see local roads and if you continue zooming down you will see some of the National Forest roads.  Clicking anywhere on the map will bring up a popup box showing the exact times of the eclipse.  Note: the times are in UT (Universal Time) so you will need to find out how many hours to subtract from the UT time to determine the local time. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

11 hours ago, Mntom said:

Guess I won't get to see it. That weekend I am going to be in NE Ohio at a family function. Oh well.......

You can still see it . But , it just won'y be a TOTAL eclipse from NE Ohio .

We'll be in North Cental Illinois ( a bit closer to the 'line' ) and it looks like we'll see about a 92% eclipse . 

Goes around , comes around .

This site: https://tse2017.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=70ca4863b31546faa4533411684f8089

As you scroll down the page it will move from west to east.  And it shows the time variation - directly under the moons path provides the longest totality.  As one moves further from the path of greatest totality, the viewing time shortens.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

One thing everyone has to remember when planning their trip is the weather. The Eclipse will take place rain or shine. Seeing it in the rain will be quite different than seeing on a bright sunny day. In the 1990's I was on Oahu when the Total Eclipse came over the Hawaiian Islands. Amazing experience. There were scattered clouds that morning, but thankfully no liquid Hawaiian Sunshine.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived