Will household washer machines handle traveling in RV?

We are trying to pick a washer to replace the one in our 5th wheel.  Closet space severely limits our options. Splendide (Ariston) and Pinnacle (Majestic) has models that will fit, but reviews are less than stellar.   It would be very tight, but the front load Electrolux EIFLS20QSW, with better reviews, also sold as a Kenmore, may barely fit.  The manual and install instructions says remove packing materials and save them to put back if the washer is moved at a later date.  I think I saw that same instruction for other washing machines. 

Has anyone ever heard that washing machines, like the Splendide brand being engineered special to accommodate the jostling of RV travel?  Or will any washer hold up to RV travel just as well?

We would also like to hear comments on above washers and/or recommendations.  

Thanks,

Cathy and Jim 

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

The following text is from the Ariston - Splendide washer ARWXF 129 W installation instructions:

3. Remove the 4 protective
screws (used during transportation)
and the rubber
washer with the corresponding
spacer, located on the
rear part of the appliance
(see figure).
4. Close off the holes using the plastic plugs provided.
5. Keep all the parts in a safe place: you will need them
again if the washer needs to be moved to another location.

That model is sold for RV's at places like Camping World.  Does anyone do anything to stabilize the drum of the washer before moving their RV?   Has anyone had problems because they did not? 

The recurring issue I have seen in reviews on that one has been with circuit board failures. 

Cathy and Jim

2016 smart car

We do not do anything special to the Splendide units that came in our DRV.  We did not even get the parts you talk about above to stabilize them.  They were factory installed and did not come with the shipping bits and pieces.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

House machines all have the same thing in their manuals. The one nobody ever reads. How many get moved every weekend, with the bolt kit installed?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Honestly, I have no experience with RV model electric washers or dryers, but I have opened and repaired a few front loading residentials in my time.

Basically, they are just drums on 4 lower rollers and a belt or gear driven motor... relying on gravity to hold them in position. (rediculously simple machines seeing how much they cost). Just by way of assumption... I would wonder if models deemed adequate for RV use might have lower AND upper rollers to better stabilize the drums and deemed more suitable for RV's?

I would be interested in seeing their parts list to see if that holds true. With only lower rollers and the bouncing and jarring I give my rig, I wouldn't feel very comfortable travelling with any of the machines I've seen the guts of. Most of those drums are NONE too light and I could only imagine how rough it would be having that kind of weight bouncing up and down on only lower rollers.

Just food for thought and completely out of my wheelhouse.

Edited by Yarome

Our MH came with a Maytag stacked washer/dryer. Nothing special. We had it removed since we wanted the storage space. We do laundry once a week, kind of a forced down day is the way we look at it. Once in a while I would like a washer/dryer but just a passing thought. We saw several problems with having a washer/dryer: loss of significant storage; dryer time long due to being 110 vs 220; vibration/noise in the rig; need to have hookups to do laundry(at least a sewer).

To each his own.

What makes everyone act as if the Splendide is made for RVs?  It is simply a made-in-Italy unit that is based on the many small combos sold throughout Europe and Asia.  Just because its marketing company has targeted the US RV market doesn't mean that the device will work any better than any other unit that will fill the space.  If our Splendide were to die I would almost assuredly purchase an LG which gets better reviews and has a larger washing drum.  If you Google the subject you will find add there are, in addition, a number of other brands.

This thread reminds me of the threads in which people act as if they need to replace their overpriced Jensen TVs with another Jensen because it is "made for RVs" rather than realizing they can get a better picture from a Samsung (or many other brands) for a lot less money.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Swharton, we have the Whirlpool stackable in our rig for the last 6 years. They have become a bit better lately. The washer runs up the spin cycle to about 3500 RPM and really ring out the water. The clothes are only damp when the washer stops. Therefore the dryer doesn't have to work so hard (220 vs 110). Most stuff is dry in the dryer in 20 minutes. Just like at home (220V). So nice. I refused to get a W/D in the rig until the technology got better. We are happy with it.

Edited by rockintom

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

11 hours ago, docj said:

What makes everyone act as if the Splendide is made for RVs?  It is simply a made-in-Italy unit that is based on the many small combos sold throughout Europe and Asia.  Just because its marketing company has targeted the US RV market doesn't mean that the device will work any better than any other unit that will fill the space.  If our Splendide were to die I would almost assuredly purchase an LG which gets better reviews and has a larger washing drum.  If you Google the subject you will find add there are, in addition, a number of other brands.

This thread reminds me of the threads in which people act as if they need to replace their overpriced Jensen TVs with another Jensen because it is "made for RVs" rather than realizing they can get a better picture from a Samsung (or many other brands) for a lot less money.

Quite correct! :)

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

Our DRV came with Whirlpool washer and dryer.  My wife loves them, and we have had no trouble with them.  We had a Splendide in our last rig, an my wife said the capacity was too small. She had to split the sheets into two loads and only put 2 bath towels in if she wanted them to dry in any reasonable time.

I replaced the original Whirlpool top loading washer in our 2001 Teton with a front loading LG about 5 or 6 years ago. Barely fit into the W/D closet, but it works great and we haven't had a bit of trouble with it, even with all the traveling we do. Pretty large capacity for an apartment size washer, and really does a good job of cleaning clothes and other items. It even handles our bulky bedspread and mattress cover, as well as our throw rugs. Highly recommend the LG! Our original Whirlpool 120V dryer is still going strong.

We had a Whirlpool Compact Washer and a GE Compact Dryer installed in our fiver in 2004 and both are still going strong.  Love them.  You can fit more than you think but as a front load washer you just have to make sure the load is balanced with like sized clothing. 

One thing to consider when installing a washer and dryer is to measure the RV entry door width and if the units are in the bedroom and you have a hallway to get to it measure that too.

To prevent mildew odors in the rig from water left in the washing machine after a wash I use The Home Store Moisture Eliminators, 9.8 oz.  They also work great in dishwasher drawers.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to answering my questions in this thread.  

We decided to move the plumbing (water supply lines and drain standpipe) from the back of the closet to the right side.  This gives us 27 inches for depth and 24 inches for width. This should be enough to expand our choice of washers.  Hopefully having the plumbing on the side won't cause any issues connecting the washer. 

Cathy and Jim

Edited by jim gell

2016 smart car

On May 10, 2017 at 9:54 PM, docj said:

Absolutely!  And many people also think you have to use the special RV toilet paper too.  Bahaaaaa!

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello All, I am VERY new to the rv world and this is a big question for me.  I want to have a residential size washer and dryer, if at all possible in a 5th wheel.  I realize that I'm limited by the size of the enclosure(closet) but outside of that fact is there any reason I could not do it.  And, yes I also realize that most home dryers run on 220,  

Any information I can gather before I make the plunge is very appreciated.

Jenny

Edited by JAC1428
added info

1 hour ago, JAC1428 said:

Hello, would you be willing to share what brand you purchased?  Thank you

You're asking Billw/bus this question & the post is almost 3 yr. old so he may not see this.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have a front load washer and 220 dryer in our 5th wheel.  The 220 dryer means the dryer can only be run when plugged into 50 amp service (or in our case when our 220 capable generator is running).  The units are not quite as big as our home Kenmore units, but they are good sized and work well.  They are Splendid brand.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg