Another Mobley Question

I want to use my Mobley at my S&B for my security system, and thermostat control while on the road. I need a router to connect to. Which routers will work with the Mobley?

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

We have a Cradlepoint MBR95 and a Pepwave Surf Mini On-The-Go that both work well with the Mobley as their WiFi-as-LAN Internet connection. I think the current equivalent Cradlepoint model is the 1200.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I currently am using  a Linksys AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender / Repeater (RE6500) to repeat the Mobley WiFi throughout my house.  It is working well and also provides Ethernet ports for hardwired connections.  I am happy with this set up so far.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

6 hours ago, dewilso said:

I want to use my Mobley at my S&B for my security system, and thermostat control while on the road. I need a router to connect to. Which routers will work with the Mobley?

I don't want to discourage you from trying this, but from everything I've read you will not be able to do this.  I'm not a network person, but people on cellular forums are saying that AT&T does not provide whatever protocol you need to access devices from outside on the Mobley account.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable will step in and give an explanation.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

18 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I don't want to discourage you from trying this, but from everything I've read you will not be able to do this.  I'm not a network person, but people on cellular forums are saying that AT&T does not provide whatever protocol you need to access devices from outside on the Mobley account.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable will step in and give an explanation.

I am currently doing just what the OP is trying to do.  I am not controlling a thermostat or security cameras remotely, but I am able to control my garage doors through the remote app I have on my phone (same principal as controlling the devices the OP wants).  The module that controls my garage doors is plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the Linksys device I linked above.  I can open and close my garage doors from my phone (over the internet) through the Mobley.  The Mobley is currently the only interent access available in my S/B as I have unplugged my DSL modem to test the Mobley functionality on my home network.  I have also done wireless printing and other functions with this set up so far.  All of my home devices are connected to the Linksys device either through Ethernet cables or wirelessly to its WiFi network.  The Linksys device is then connected to the WiFi signal from the Mobley to get access to the rest of the world.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

30 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

I am currently doing just what the OP is trying to do.  I am not controlling a thermostat or security cameras remotely, but I am able to control my garage doors through the remote app I have on my phone (same principal as controlling the devices the OP wants).  The module that controls my garage doors is plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the Linksys device I linked above.  I can open and close my garage doors from my phone (over the internet) through the Mobley.  The Mobley is currently the only interent access available in my S/B as I have unplugged my DSL modem to test the Mobley functionality on my home network.  I have also done wireless printing and other functions with this set up so far.  All of my home devices are connected to the Linksys device either through Ethernet cables or wirelessly to its WiFi network.  The Linksys device is then connected to the WiFi signal from the Mobley to get access to the rest of the world.

That's good to hear and puts to rest what I've read from others.  To be clear, your phone is not connected to your home network or to the Mobley when you do this?  Your phone is connected to the internet through it's own access plan?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Just now, chirakawa said:

That's good to hear and puts to rest what I've read from others.  To be clear, your phone is not connected to your home network or to the Mobley when you do this?  Your phone is connected to the internet through it's own access plan?

Correct.  The phone is talking to the remote device (my garage doors) through its cellular connection, not my home network.  I just opened and closed my garage door from a different county as I typed this response.

event.png    

1 minute ago, Chad Heiser said:

Correct.  The phone is talking to the remote device (my garage doors) through its cellular connection, not my home network.  I just opened and closed my garage door from a different county as I typed this response.

Thanks.  That's great.  I've got a couple of cameras I will set up to monitor.

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

I just opened and closed my garage door from a different county as I typed this response.

You DO realize your neighbors know you are not home and you just gave ol Mr. Green a coronary... or at least grip'ing you of for lowering his property value? (No one wants to buy into a haunted neighborhood)

4 hours ago, Yarome said:

You DO realize your neighbors know you are not home and you just gave ol Mr. Green a coronary... or at least grip'ing you of for lowering his property value? (No one wants to buy into a haunted neighborhood)

Very funny. :)  Luckily I live on property in a rural area so my neighbors can't see my garage door going up and down. ;) 

event.png    

While I have not tested this router for remote access, it does work well with the Mobley and is very reasonably priced:

https://www.amazon.com/GL-MT300N-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance-Compatible/dp/B01AL7P1FU

I was planning to test the Mobley with my Cradlepoint, but dang if I can find it.  I know it is in storage somewhere. :D

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

1 hour ago, k4rs said:

While I have not tested this router for remote access, it does work well with the Mobley and is very reasonably priced:

https://www.amazon.com/GL-MT300N-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance-Compatible/dp/B01AL7P1FU

I was planning to test the Mobley with my Cradlepoint, but dang if I can find it.  I know it is in storage somewhere. :D

Safe Travels...

Once you finally find the Cradlepoint, you will have to search further for the power cord. :P  Amazing how much you can lose track of in an RV.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

3 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

Once you finally find the Cradlepoint, you will have to search further for the power cord. :P  Amazing how much you can lose track of in an RV.

Ha . BTDT  But , It's gotta be here , somewhere . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

There is also a hidden USB interface on the Mobley. For those who consider themselves technologists that like to "dive deep," you can plug this USB interface into a router running open-source firmware like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc. The router will use the USB connection as its WAN interface, and I would imagine it should be more reliable than linking up via Wi-Fi.

I intend on trying it very soon, but haven't had time to yet.

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

On 5/10/2017 at 8:59 PM, Chad Heiser said:

Luckily I live on property in a rural area so my neighbors can't see my garage door going up and down.

Oh. A garage door opening and closing at random with no one present... out in the middle of farmland... that's not creepy at all! Whatever God you worship.. bless your mailman and his "made in China" pacemaker! :P

Archived