TPMS on 1-ton DRW tow vehicle

There's an HDT forum, an MDT forum, but nothing specific to those of us towing with "normal" trucks, so I'll just post this question here in General RV Information...

In January we traded up to a Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7 to have more payload and larger safety margin with the pin weight of our fifth wheel. The Ford is nicely trimmed out (Lariat) but, since the GVWR is over 10,000 lbs., the feds don't require a standard TPMS and - as you would expect - Ford didn't spend the money to install one. (Our 2013 Sierra 2500HD D/A had TPMS since its GVWR was exactly 10K.) We currently run a TireMinder A1A system for the fifth wheel and it is capable of monitoring up to 22 wheels. I can get six additional sensors for the truck for about $225. My questions for all of you experienced folks out there are 1) do you think it advisable to have TPMS capabilities for the truck itself and, if yes, 2) can you think of a better way to do it than adding sensors to the TireMinder system we have? 

Thanks in advance!

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

8 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

1) do you think it advisable to have TPMS capabilities for the truck itself and, if yes, 2) can you think of a better way to do it than adding sensors to the TireMinder system we have? 

AB-SO-LUTE-LY!! I can't really think of a better way to go. Nothing cheaper, anyway... unless you wanted to have your rig on a seperate system, but I don't really see any advantage to doing that.

I use a TPMS on the fifth wheel but not on the p/u dually. My reasoning is that after a life time of driving, I should be able to hear or feel my driving vehicle having a tire go bad. In 8 years I have not had one truck tire go bad, but at least 6 trailer tires have. I usually check the p/u dually tires with a hammer tap whenever I stop. Go with what you are comfortable with, you can always change later.

Greg

I had a TST 507 system on my dually and 5er. I had that dually for 11 years and never had a flat tire; now I attribute that to buying high quality tires, and  LUCK.

I felt comfortable and  assured that I would have an early warning if a tire was losing air, overheating, or even if a wheel brake began dragging and heating up a tire enough to register on the monitor.

I now use that same system on our MH and towed for the same reasons. I figure it's kinda like buying road service, you may never need it but if/when you do you're glad you spent the money.

BTW, sensors screwed onto the OEM valve stems and never leaked, extended through the outer dual enough to access without difficulty. When I installed the sensors I could squeeze my hand between the duals and screw the sensor on the inner tight enough they could not be removed by hand via the outer dual wheel hand hole.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There are other options for rear duals, like a Cats Eye.  

I have the TST 507 on my 5er.  Have considered buying 6 sensors for my dually because checking that pressure on the inside rears is a PITA.  But, adding air to the inside rears is a PITA, too.  So I am looking for a solution to both pains.

http://www.linkmfg.com/products/cats-eye/

3 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

There are other options for rear duals, like a Cats Eye.  

I have the TST 507 on my 5er.  Have considered buying 6 sensors for my dually because checking that pressure on the inside rears is a PITA.  But, adding air to the inside rears is a PITA, too.  So I am looking for a solution to both pains.

http://www.linkmfg.com/products/cats-eye/

I saw some valve stems recently on a new Ram DRW where the stems on the inside rear wheels came out of the holes on the outer wheels pointing out. The whole valve stem would have to be replaced which is kind of a PITA, too, though. As seldom as I have to add air to the truck tires, I'm inclined to leave mine like they are - TPMS or not.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

4 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

As seldom as I have to add air to the truck tires, I'm inclined to leave mine like they are - TPMS or not.

My outers wore faster than my inners.  The inners had a lot less air.  Hence my desire for something easy.  I'll be getting new tires all around in a month or so.  Maybe I'll look at longer stems.

OK... just placed an Amazon order for six new sensors for the TireMinder A1A system (Minder Research didn't have any brass refurbs and won't undersell their retailers). Since we're leaving where we are tomorrow morning, I had them sent to our Escapees' mail service. We have to stay put long enough to have some meds forwarded in the next week or two, anyway... Thanks for all the input, everyone.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Archived