Can We afford to full time RV?

Mike

I think for some perspective here I have to ask this. Are you coming from a 4000 sq ft home where you have catered meals every night or are you a "regular guy" in 1000 sq ft that never has money to eat in a restaurant that requires a sport jacket? In my case (And to be clear I have not started to RV yet. That is in process now. House to finish, then sell, selling excess things now for RV money.) I am coming out of 1100 sq ft, where it's just me and a dog, and $2800  clear a month. However, if Trump gets his budget through as is (please god no) I will lose 2/3 of that because I get a VA disability for what Vietnam did to me. In that case, RV life will be necessary, not fun.

But again, more to know about me so you understand my perspective. I have not been out to dinner at a place better than a chain steakhouse in a decade. I haven't been in a movie theater 5 times over the last 15 years. I haven't gone to a concert (and I was a musician) or a pro sporting event in forever. I think of those things as money not best spent. That concert ticket, parking, refreshments... that is a $200 night. $200 is food for a month for me and the dog. Food for a month vs 2 hours of music by a washed up has-been band is not a hard choice for me. I am extremely cheap about things like that. That reclusive lifestyle is not for everybody. That's why I asked what is normal for you. $3500 a month for me would be hitting the lottery. You may be a retired corporate executive who is accustomed to a certain lifestyle. In my case, even if I suddenly had $3500 a month, my lifestyle would not change. I am old (66) and set in my ways.

So the answer to your initial question, as many of these very well stated replies have said, is "That's up to you. The $100 a night campground vs a Walmart parking lot. That's your decision."

On 5/20/2017 at 9:39 PM, kb0zke said:

Inside, they had wonderful burgers that were large enough to let you eat half then and take the other half home for the next day. Same thing when we were in Wisconsin.

Oh, yeah, see, sadly I am not very familiar with the concept of leftovers.... :lol:

Archived