LP TANK USE

I have a 28lb, on board lp tank, on my 99 Winnebago Grand Tour Vectra, and find need for additional gas. As it is very hard, in Wi seasonal capmpsites, to get on site fill, is there an easy way to hookup a stand alone tank, when needed, until able to drive to a lp station for refill?

My 1999 Winnebago had an adapter on it where you shut off the main tank and it had a hose with a regular barbecue fitting on it and you turned that valve on and used the external tank.

Found it here.

Propane kit

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Call other local propane suppliers, some will come to your location if they have a delivery truck nearby. Each company will have different rules, so it will pay check around and ask.

Edit - If you do one of the later post suggestions, (which I would), make sure you are comfortable working with gas lines. There is high pressure and regulated low pressure and pipe leaks to be tested for, any mistakes could have serious consequences, even worst case an explosion.

Greg

We use a Marshall "Extend-A-Stay" adapter and hose that's made for just that purpose. The current Marshall Gas version is called the "Stay Longer" adapter. There's also a version that includes a longer hose that can be used to supply a gas grill or other LP devices that have their own regulators.

Marshall Gas Controls MER472 Stay-Longer Propane Adapter Kit

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We have been at a KOA in Indiana since mid-March as my wife recovers from back surgery. With the prospect of cold weather and no on site LP fill, without tearing down our motorhome, I opted for a adding a Marshal Stay Longer valve assembly before we left Texas.

I purchased a 30# LP cylinder and have had it filled 3 times since arriving. The 1st time at the KOA for a standard 30# tank fee of $38.44. the next 2 fills were at a TSC about 8 miles away @ between $12.50-$13.00 each time.

Our motorhome still has over 3/4 tank of propane from our last fill, before arriving. The only additional thing I would like for the Marshall valve assembly to have a check valve so the 30# cylinder could be removed for filling without the on board tank having to be shut off or removing the LP hose and capping the valve port for the external tank.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

I don't have the part number, but I purchased a Marshall Brass manual/auto switch over valve that had a 8 ft hose with the standard OPD screw on which I attached to an auxiliary 30 # tank I carried. If either tank went empty the valve auto switched to the other source or you could change it manually. When the aux tank emptied Id go to the cheapest supplier and have it refilled and let the RV run on the main tank until I returned. Worked like a charm never a problem and was cheap n easy to install.

John T  

If you have a grill connection under the rv, get a tank and regulator. Put a hose on the regulator with a male connection. Turn off the mounted tank and hook up portable tank. It is that easy. No extend a stay required. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

There are several kits for this around or you may want to pay a propane tech to do the work if you are not familiar with working on gas lines and making sure that they don't leak after the fact. They are available on Amazon and I used the one from Marshall Brass. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

UPDATE AND MORE INFO:

The first is the standard so called "extend a stay" for hooking up a remote 20/30/etc # cylinder into your RV similar to that previously posted above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extend-A-Stay-Extend-a-Stay-Standard-LP-Gas-Propane-Kit-RV-Camper-Motorhome-536-/222481682737?hash=item33ccf11131:g:9eEAAOSw-vlViHk2&vxp=mtr

The second is what I used (or similar) which has the auto changeover feature so if one tank runs out it automatically switches over to the other tank. One output plumbed to the RV tank and the other had a 6 ft hose with screw on connector I attached to my auxiliary 30# cylinder. If the aux tank ran out I trucked over to the cheapest supplier and had it filled, while in the meantime the RV tank supplied uninterrupted service to the RV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Automatic-Gas-Changeover-Regulator-Bulk-Travel-Trailer-Camper-Motor-Home-/311854753626?hash=item489bfde75a:g:AB4AAOSw8vZXMfHQ&vxp=mtr

The first requires less work it appears but the method I used insured automatic uninterrupted service unless you let BOTH tanks run out. 

John T Certainly NOT a plumber but this worked fine for my use, do as the "experts" here say not me.

Archived