Tire Chains Need A Set

I know temps are getting warm even in Colorado but I need my first set of chains for my Volvo.  Tire size 285/75/22.5 looks like Pewag is a leading brand and I can purchase the TRC259 for $145.00 however shipping is another $45.00.  My truck is going off road to mountain property and the grass could be very wet so I want to be prepared.

Who likes what brands and types?  Where to purchase?  

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Have you looked on Ebay or Craigslist. With chain pliers is is easy to build you own.

I've been happy with chains from QCC. 

http://www.qcctraction.com/customsearch/search/result/?search_id=1&tire_sizes3=285%2F75-22.5&application=50

I use no cam Vbar singles. Some don't like Vbar because of the bump. To reduce the bump I added cross chain every 2nd link. This is called double duty.  Triple (dual wheels) chains are staggered so there is less bump

When we go we have 36" (don't buy 18") chain pliers, quick links, 15" bunji cords that get loaded along with the (truck and trailer) chains.

If you used spider tensioners make sure to test everything so you know the tensioner will hold the chains tire once the tire is spinning

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Are your rims the kind that have holes in them? I used to carry strips of short chains that I could loop through and bolt together. A couple of strips make a big difference in wet grass and getting unstuck, don't use for road driving.

Greg

Archived