Leaking water hoses

I buy Camco water hoses from Wallmart.  In the past, after six months or so the male fitting would start to leak where the fitting is "pressed" together.  This never bothered me, as I figured it was a good reminder to change out the hoses.  But lately I'm finding that after one or two moves the male fitting starts to leak.  It's not a massive leak, It's just a drip that can't be stopped.  I would guess that it's just hard water that deposits calcium in that fitting. 

The bottom line here is. . .  does anyone have a recommendation on a water hose that will last six months without leaking?  I think it's a good idea to change out your water hose at least yearly.  But I would like to get 60 or 90 days out of one.    

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

We buy our hoses from RV Water Filter Store, he has quality hoses and we have had ours for many years, never a leak. He will also make hoses to any length you want. Might be more $$$ but we feel well worth it. He also has water filter components, pressure regulators etc. Give him a call he knows his stuff.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

An enthusiastic second on the RV Water Filter Store. You get 200 psi hose, machined brass or stainless steel fittings, and any length you want. We've been full-timing for over 7 years with our first set of hoses from them, and they show no signs of needing to be replaced. 

Just curious: Why do you think it a good idea to replace hoses yearly?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

12 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I just replace the hose ends with a replacement part from Lowe's  that uses a hose clamp.

847259088126lg.jpg

Kirk, I've done that before.  I guess I'll just start doing that again.  It just seems to me they should be able to make a hose that doesn't leak.

10 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

An enthusiastic second on the RV Water Filter Store. You get 200 psi hose, machined brass or stainless steel fittings, and any length you want. We've been full-timing for over 7 years with our first set of hoses from them, and they show no signs of needing to be replaced. 

Just curious: Why do you think it a good idea to replace hoses yearly?

I like to change mine out before they start to get brittle.  An old Camco water hose will get stiff and brittle.  When you bend it you can hear it crack.  It's my theory that the inside of the hose may be cracking, which may allow pieces of plastic to be introduced into your system.  That theory may or may not be correct, but a new hose is an inexpensive way to eliminate that problem. 

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

36 minutes ago, Five Wood said:

I like to change mine out before they start to get brittle.  Jim

Well my RV Water Filter Store hoses for the trailer are 11 years old with no indication of any deterioration.  If you do the math, cheap hoses are too expensive.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

If the hose is good , I use this type replacement end . They last forever , so when the hose craps out for good , they can be used for the next repair . 

127634-lrg.jpg

But , I haven't had to make a repair to our potable hose , which I found strung out along the shore of a lake we hosted a camp on more than 6 years ago . Talk about cost effective . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

If I had to replace a hose yearly because it was deteriorating, believe I would stop buying them. But, have had a white water hose with blue stripe that I believe is a Camco, and no problem with it for over 10 years.  Maybe quality has gone down.

Joe

On 5/8/2017 at 4:21 PM, SWharton said:

We buy our hoses from RV Water Filter Store, he has quality hoses and we have had ours for many years, never a leak. He will also make hoses to any length you want. Might be more $$$ but we feel well worth it. He also has water filter components, pressure regulators etc. Give him a call he knows his stuff.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Ditto the above.  They supply hoses in whatever length you want with your choice of brass or stainless couplings.

Have used them for years, *NEVER*  had a coupling fail or leak.

Well worth the extra cost - which (IMO) is minimal for the quality of the product.

BTW - apparently the original owners retired a couple of years ago, hopefully the business continues in good hands!

Another recommendation for hoses from the RV Water Filter Store, ours are 8+ years old and never a problem.  It's white outside with a clear inner hose, you will pay more but they last a loooong time.    Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Oddly enough I was thinking about this today. Looked at one of those "as seen on TV" metal encased hoses at Menards; began reading the information and spied  "WARNING" this hose contains chemicals known to be  carcinogenic by the state of California.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Ray,IN said:

Oddly enough I was thinking about this today. Looked at one of those "as seen on TV" metal encased hoses at Menards; began reading the information and spied  "WARNING" this hose contains chemicals known to be  carcinogenic by the state of California.

Everything is known to cause cancer in California

3 minutes ago, chevy3500 said:

Everything is known to cause cancer in California

The dose makes the poison.  California just protects its people better than other states.  Look at incidence of Cancer in Louisiana - wouldn't want to live there. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived