New trailer

We have been looking for a new RV . I'm thinking that we have found one that will work well for us .

Started off looking at the Keystone Laredo then the Avalanche 365 ( see previous post ) , but now appears the Avalanche 395 will be the one. Just a side note this is what happens when your wife and DIL start looking at new trailers.

But I would welcome any feed back as to the quality of these trailers. I already know that as long as I own a RV I will always have plenty of repair to do . What I'm looking for is above normal problems or issues with the brand in general.

Wow! A 4 bedroom, 2 bath, RV! With minimal storage for all the stuff that many people will want. How big is your family?

I hope you are planning to mostly be hooked up to city water given the small relative size of the fresh water tank.

At least the TVs are in good locations. :)

And four bedrooms! Mind officially blown!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

According to the specs on Keystone's web site for the Avalanche 395bh, the base trailer only weighs 14,000 pounds for a length of 42 feet.  That is very, very light.  Nice for towing, but when you go with that light of weight you either need to have very expensive and very light construction materials so the rig will last, or light weight materials which may not stay together very long when traveling.

Additionally, there is only 2500 pounds of carrying capacity. Most fulltimers in large RV's will load up 3000 pounds of stuff before ever loading water or possibly propane.  Also options may cut down on the carrying capacity.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Looks like the whole crew is going along! I'm wondering what the GVWR must be? 

Since there is a lack of detail on the company website, I would tend to assume that the GVWR would be 14,000lb shipping weight and adding the advertised CCC of 2500lb for a total 16,500lb GVWR.

Just another reason to be wary of buying from a company which isn't transparent with their vehicle weights on company documentation.  No matter how appealing the floor plan and appearance might be. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I just posted a review of another fiver. The kicker was the dry weight when filled with water and propane and battery install was over 1000 # heavier than advertised dry weight, leaving only 360# for stuff. Impossible for full-time or even part time. So make sure you check out actual weight of the fiver you are buying and not just their published weights.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

To answer some of the comments/ questions

GVWR is 16500

yes we don't end up boon docking or with partial hookups very often

there is 2 that will be long time wife says she will have a home ( she just will not be with out her stuff) so there will be no full time and by long time not over 2 months

and DIL ,Son and two Boys 3-4 times per year

Oh and I cant figure where you are seeing 4 bedrooms Front is a queen bed middle of trailer is a living area/ kitchen and then a back bed room with bunks.

we have had a Montana mountaineer 345 DBQ since 2008

I do appreciate the extra eyes on this . helps me to know what I'm jumping into . looks like I will need to watch the amount of baggage that everyone brings . but we have stayed well under max wt on the Montana

7 hours ago, Tex Bigfoot said:

I cant figure where you are seeing 4 bedrooms

1. Front bedroom. 2. Sofa bed in living room with doors at each end of space. 3. Sofa bed in Den. 4. Bunk room in loft.

OK so I stretched that last one a bit but if you put curtains along the railings up there it can feel quite separate. Kids tend to like that coziness.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Just a couple of thoughts .

We picked up the new Avalanche on Friday  and have took  day or two on the way back home.

2 things have jumped out at me as must haves for any other trailer that I own .

1) is the self levelers . For those of you with them you understand .For those of you still hauling a lumberyard around in the tow vehicle this is a must have when it comes time to replace your trailer. push one button front jacks go down , unhook the truck , walk over an push auto level and walk away .

2) I have been looking everything over and discovered that this trailer came from the factory with wet bolts on the springs and walking beams. this is a great improvement over the past manufacturing  practices. Maybe just maybe the RV industry is starting to listen to the customer.

Archived