train horn

runaway parents

With over 2 million miles in a HDT I can honestly say that I could probably count on my fingers the times I used the horn for anything but testing to see if it worked. That being said the air horn on my Volvo sounded like a kids toy. I always wanted a "train horn" but just couldn't justify the cost. I also couldn't figure out where to mount it for best effect. Anything that large in the air stream would have too large of an effect on fuel mileage. Anything mounted inside the body fairings seemed like it would be louder to me than to anyone else. Now that I'm retired I would love to put one on the bus but hesitate to because of the same reasons.

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

X2 to Big5er and runaway parents.

I use the air horn when someone causes me to take defensive action because a law being broken.

Last week the traffic in Missouri was heavy on my route north because of I-44 closures due to Flooding. That may have caused some to be impatience and reckless. One case a fellow driving a Class A with car in Tow run a stop sign and pulled in front of me causing excessive braking. Another case and a real problem in Missouri, there are passing lanes build every so often on two lane roads and most clearly several times when the road returns to two lane. When I see someone passing everyone doing about 15 mph over the speed limit and causes me to pull to the right as the road narrows is cause for concern. Last year that happened and the horn did slow the person down as we followed the couple many miles down the road.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Having the ability to get the attention of a distracted driver, and preventing an accident, overrides my fear of a lawsuit after the wreck, caused by said driver.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I almost never use my horn simply because I don't think of it when taking evasive action due to bad drivers.  I tend to yell horrible things at them, but in a closed cab with the diesel running at speed I'm sure that to others it looks like I'm singing.  The "loud" Volvo horn sounds like a loud car horn and certainly does not have the menacing bass tones.  Mostly a wimpy treble.  My former Freightliner had a set of horns that did have a train like sound.  I don't recall ever using the air horn in traffic, though I've used it to get through a herd of cattle.  The cow that jumped over the moon had someone hit their air horns behind her. 

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

One time that the Big Horns are always used no matter the circumstance is when the Kid in the yard gives the arm pump.... Gotta let them rip....

So this was your "fault"?

Funny-Bike-Accidents-3-570x428.jpg.55446c020191c87e7ddb0520a9eff74a.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 3 weeks later...

I have been lurking for a long time, dreaming of an HDT, but I must break the silence on this one.

IMHO train horns are cool and there shouldn't be laws against them. Use them as you see fit with only a single exception.  If you are a young punk in an F-350 or other LDT with a set who lets them rip while driving beside my wife and I ON a five track crossing and scares her silly while she is behind the wheel, you will get the dog @#$% knocked out of you when  we pull in the parking lot at the pizza place behind you and you refuse to apologize for you stupidity and use ugly words to describe Mrs. Scrub.  Oh, and your friends will laugh when the "old guy" knocks you on your behind for using an insulting term for his wife.

3 hours ago, Scrub said:

I have been lurking for a long time, dreaming of an HDT, but I must break the silence on this one.

IMHO train horns are cool and there shouldn't be laws against them. Use them as you see fit with only a single exception.  If you are a young punk in an F-350 or other LDT with a set who lets them rip while driving beside my wife and I ON a five track crossing and scares her silly while she is behind the wheel, you will get the dog @#$% knocked out of you when  we pull in the parking lot at the pizza place behind you and you refuse to apologize for you stupidity and use ugly words to describe Mrs. Scrub.  Oh, and your friends will laugh when the "old guy" knocks you on your behind for using an insulting term for his wife.

That sounds like a confession....lol. One for the Forensic Files folks....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

10 hours ago, Scrub said:

Somebody that miss use these horns should have the crap kicked out of them. Like I said before I use them for defense only .Put my  family in danger prepare for a wake up call . 

21 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Somebody that miss use these horns should have the crap kicked out of them. Like I said before I use them for defense only .Put my  family in danger prepare for a wake up call . 

Thanks for threatening other forum members but again, the only one that would be putting your family in danger is the piss poor driver of the vehicle they are traveling in. I use my siren and lights and "shock" people all day long that do not crash. I stop cars (along with the occasional big rig) all the time. I "suddenly" throw on the lights and the siren. None of them have yet to crash, in 31 years. Did it to a guy today at 92 mph. He had no clue that big F-250 was a police car. Shocked the pooh outta him. He never saw me coming, but he didn't crash. If the shock of a loud horn causes someone to crash, then maybe they should have learned to drive. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ok lets make sure every body know if it is a defensive maneuver I believe it is justified but thinking it is cool to deliberately scaring Ms Scrub at a rail road crossing  definitely not cool. So the best thing to do instead of following him to his next stop and beating the crap out of him would be call Big 5r up and let him give him a ticket for disturbing the piece.  I would like to tell you a little about myself I am a journeyman carpenter I have a little over 2 years til I can retire I am what young kids call an old geezer live on I b prophen  Tylenol  cortisone shots in left knee to keep going. I don't think I am much of a threat to any one. No I am not full of road rage . And definitely not  young punk running around  trying to impress Mr Scrub  with how loud I can blow my horn. to old and don't have the energy. Big5 if your in around Wenatchee Wash some time I would like to buy you a cup of coffee. to all you guys that are with me on this thanks agian 

On 5/7/2017 at 4:36 PM, Big5er said:

I'm with Ron on this one. Exactly how can MY horn cause YOU to have an accident? If YOU are driving, YOU should be aware and in control of your vehicle. The 18 wheeler next to you having a blow out is loud and sudden but as long as the tire or vehicle doesn't come into your lane, it can not "cause" you to have an accident unless YOU fail to control your own vehicle. The baby in the back seat suddenly filling the floorboard with vomit, can not "cause" you to have an accident. Any outside factor, that does not physically interfere with you, your vehicle or it's path, can not "cause" YOU to have an accident. Things happen all around us as we drive. We need to be prepared for "stuff" to happen and control our vehicles accordingly. 

Sorry, but if a loud horn goes off and you have an accident, YOU are the cause of that accident. There is no "it scared me" defense when YOU cause an accident.  

Hell Just Froze Over!

I am more worried about all the Lawyers that run ads on daytime TV trolling for "Big Rig" accidents.

BTW Sold the truck in my avatar a while back and got a big class A , wifey and I think we made a mistake.   The RV does have a loud horn which I am sure have kept me from a accident.  BTW it only has 1 horn.

Back to lurking....

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire Sold

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite  8328

7 hours ago, Steveoreno said:

I am more worried about all the Lawyers that run ads on daytime TV trolling for "Big Rig" accidents.

BTW Sold the truck in my avatar a while back and got a big class A , wifey and I think we made a mistake.   The RV does have a loud horn which I am sure have kept me from a accident.  BTW it only has 1 horn.

Back to lurking....

While it is true that anyone can sue any-one for any-thing, the big rig ambulance chasers are more geared to sue a major trucking company that is self insured, with an in house risk management department.

That being said, as discussed in another thread, it is a good plan to make sure that you carry enough liability insurance on your HDT to cover yourself in the event of a mess up.  Blowing a horn at someone would probably not be one of those mess ups though.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

On 5/31/2017 at 7:23 PM, Big5er said:

Thanks for threatening other forum members but again, the only one that would be putting your family in danger is the piss poor driver of the vehicle they are traveling in. I use my siren and lights and "shock" people all day long that do not crash. I stop cars (along with the occasional big rig) all the time. I "suddenly" throw on the lights and the siren. None of them have yet to crash, in 31 years. Did it to a guy today at 92 mph. He had no clue that big F-250 was a police car. Shocked the pooh outta him. He never saw me coming, but he didn't crash. If the shock of a loud horn causes someone to crash, then maybe they should have learned to drive. 

I agree that the driver is responsible for their own safety in all situations, I just think the utter lack of common sense displayed by intentionally blowing a train horn at someone you don't know while on a crossing is frankly hard for me to comprehend.

And to be clear, I put him on his tail because of how he spoke to my wife, not over the horn.  I just gave him some good advice about the horn.

Archived