Solar Eclipse 2017---Thinking of Boondocking???

Al F

Those of us who are planning of viewing the eclipse on August 21st and/or boondocking in Oregon may be in for a surprise.  According to this article in the Bend, Oregon newspaper some of the remote areas could have from 15,000 to 50,000 people looking for the perfect spot to view the eclipse.

If you are thinking of getting up early and drive for an hour or three, on the day of the eclipse, to get to a spot to view the eclipse, you should plan on starting really early.  If boondocking we probably should get in place a few days early. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I've heard Casper is supposed to double in size for the eclipse (okay, a slightly hyperbole)...not to mention Jackson and other places in between. It is predicted that the "population" of Wyoming would increase by 25% during the time of the eclipse. What other states can say that!!! 70,000 is a tenth of our population!

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

• 2 months later...

Wow! Disappointing, in a way. I came to this Forum in an effort to see if there were any suggestions for best route from San Diego. My nephew wants to meet me in Idaho or Wyoming or Oregon (depending on airport distance). He will be flying in from Michigan.

15 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Wow! Disappointing, in a way. I came to this Forum in an effort to see if there were any suggestions for best route from San Diego. My nephew wants to meet me in Idaho or Wyoming or Oregon (depending on airport distance). He will be flying in from Michigan.

Do a internet search for "madras oregon solar eclipse" and find a place which still has campsites open.  There are other town in central Oregon you can search as well.  Some of the prices I have seen are in the $500-$600 range for a 4 or 5 night stay.  Almost always dry camping or tenting.  Have your nephew fly into Portland.  Expect a slow drive on Friday or Saturday as road will be crowded. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can view a high-definition map of the center of the totality line?

I am specifically interested in knowing where the totality line crosses Interstate 35 in Missouri.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

Kind of funny " Going to rain anyway. it's the NW".  Ever been to the NW?  Both Oregon and Washington are dry desert country except for west of the Cascade mountain range.  The mountains get some rain and that combined with altitude allows the trees to grow.

What is really funny is that the state of Washington calling itself the evergreen state.  Everything east of the cascades is very, very dry and lots of sagebrush.

There was a blurb on the news a couple of nights ago that the historic average for the Oregon coastline was 40% of the days were cloudy for the several days around August 21st. 

However a low system could come in and put clouds over most of the state.  You never know. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On 7/8/2017 at 7:30 PM, Scarecrow said:

Hope you find a parking spot.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Hope you find a parking spot.

Why worry about a parking spot when the whole affair will be over in about 2 minutes ? 

I'm amazed at all the hoopla surrounding an eclipse . People are really that bored ?

Goes around , comes around .

6 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Why worry about a parking spot when the whole affair will be over in about 2 minutes ? 

I'm amazed at all the hoopla surrounding an eclipse . People are really that bored ?

WOW!  Why the negativity?  Some people get pretty excited about being able to experience a rare natural phenomenon.  Other don't so they don't bother to read about it or follow forum topics about it.  

I am pretty excited about viewing the eclipse.  However if we hadn't been up here in the Oregon area from our home base in Texas, I wouldn't have flown or driven all the way up here to view it.  Other will be coming long distances to view the eclipse and that is not for me to question or comment on. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

8 minutes ago, Al F said:

WOW!  Why the negativity?  Some people get pretty excited about being able to experience a rare natural phenomenon.  Other don't so they don't bother to read about it or follow forum topics about it.  

I am pretty excited about viewing the eclipse.  However if we hadn't been up here in the Oregon area from our home base in Texas, I wouldn't have flown or driven all the way up here to view it.  Other will be coming long distances to view the eclipse and that is not for me to question or comment on. 

What I said had nothing to do with negativity . 

Maybe you are overly defensive ?

It really doesn't matter . It's simply priorities . Like opinions , everyone is different . :) . 

Goes around , comes around .

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Boring to me. I'll watch it on my tablet.from a beach in NH. I have friends going to Hilton Head SC to view though.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I, for one, am driving over 350 miles one way to see the eclipse. Not something everyone would do....but we are. Up one day, watch the next day, and back shortly thereafter. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As it happens to be crossing over where I'll already be, I will be watching from a good vantage, but I likely wouldn't travel out of my way to see it. Total solar eclipses occur 2-5 times a year in one part of the world or other, but it's a bit "historic" in that the last time there was a total solar eclipse spanning across the entire U.S. was back in 1918... as some of you may remember (I won't mention any names :P)

I can see where some folks might get excited. If nothing else, it's a great excuse for friends and families to travel, gather, and spend quality time together outside of their day-to-day lives.

As for me... I plan to stock up and tuck in a week ahead of time and don't move until a week after. There be crazy folk out on them roads. ;)

Anyone know where I can find a high-detail map of the center of the totality path?  I am especially interested in the exact place where the centerline crosses Interstate 35 in Missouri.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

25 minutes ago, pethier said:

Anyone know where I can find a high-detail map of the center of the totality path?  I am especially interested in the exact place where the centerline crosses Interstate 35 in Missouri.

I would probably start here.. then go to google earth for high detail in the specific area you are interested in. Looks like just South of Cameron.

For others.. that's the eclipse2017.org website.

We are workamping at Hart Ranch in the Black Hills... and have that day off.   Smartest thing to do appears to be a long day on August 21... leave about 4:00 AM and drive 2 1/2 hours to Alliance, NE.   We have scouted Alliance out, and there are many places renting out a 'space' for anywhere from $50 a carload to $20 a person.   Haven't decided yet which place... and may just end up out on a dirt road in the prairie.   We are going prepared for a VERY long day... but we WILL see the Eclipse - Good Lord willing, and the Sun does shine.  

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

On 7/28/2017 at 9:18 AM, Pat & Pete said:

The longest period of totality is 2 minutes 43 seconds. The entire eclipse event last about 5 hours. This is something I may never live long enough to see again. The next eclipse view-able in North America(Mexico) is 2024.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, jlapeer said:

We are workamping at Hart Ranch in the Black Hills... and have that day off.   Smartest thing to do appears to be a long day on August 21... leave about 4:00 AM and drive 2 1/2 hours to Alliance, NE.   We have scouted Alliance out, and there are many places renting out a 'space' for anywhere from $50 a carload to $20 a person.   Haven't decided yet which place... and may just end up out on a dirt road in the prairie.   We are going prepared for a VERY long day... but we WILL see the Eclipse - Good Lord willing, and the Sun does shine.  

We are also thinking of Alliance.....have not decided on where yet....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

58 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

We are also thinking of Alliance.....have not decided on where yet....

Jack, we eyeballed several potential places in Alliance. Most striking was a place called 'Carhenge'... NE of town... the lady there told us that they have an arrangement with the Farmer next door... to create a 10,000 lot parking area, with their (Carhenge) property being the "walk over with folding chairs, sit, and view the event" place (39 Porta-johns, iirc).   The cost for parking was $30/car.    She also advised us that they (city) have 49 extra state troopers coming in to help with the traffic which they estimated to be a "Cat-3 Hurricane evacuation magnitude".

We also checked out the Airport, and Rodeo grounds...SE side of town...  very spacious, and should work fine for viewing & easier to come in from the South.   Right now, we are looking to the West and little north of town, a couple of Farms several miles out of town that will allow a 'stay' (1 - 3 days)... $50.00/vehicle... but limited (or no) 'services'

Something to keep in mind, is that when 'totality' happens... what will automatic (city) lights do?   Should be less of a problem out in the country.

Another place of good potential is named 'Toadstock', a outdoor Fall music festival location, that is opening up for the event... has all the facilities, miles out of town, and should be easier to drive in from the North.   That is our lead candidate for now.

Regardless... even if we end up in a traffic jam along a highway... We should have a wonderful experience!.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Archived