Texas vehicle Inspections to end?

Kirk W

42 minutes ago, SWharton said:

The Senate initiated this bill? I had high hopes the next step would be the governor. 

There was a similar bill introduced into the house as well. 

House bill 3995 by state Rep. Ron Simmons, R-Muenster, will receive the same bipartisan support from House members. That measure was passed out of the House Transportation Committee earlier this week.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, SWharton said:

The Senate initiated this bill? I had high hopes the next step would be the governor. Thanks for the link.

In Texas bills can be introduced in either the House or the Senate, and are often introduced simultaneously. The exception is that bills raising taxes must be introduced in the House.  Once similar bills pass both House and Senate they are sent to a Conference Committee to work out difference and produce a unified bill. THAT bill get an up or down vote from each body, and then it goes to the Governor for signature. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Hi All,

It has been a while since I've posted an update to this topic. As Kirk noted, SB 1588 passed the Senate vote, last week. The Texas House of Representatives still needs to vote on this, and the Governor must sign the bill, before it becomes a law. However, if it does pass all of those stages, it appears it will be a good thing for RVers--eliminating the vehicle inspection requirement for some vehicles. There is still the lingering question, in my mind, as to how this will impact (if at all) non-commercial vehicles driven under a CDL. The inspection requirement appears to still apply to commercial vehicles. Also, it is important to note that we are also tracking a companion bill filed in the House--HB 3995. More updates as I have them.

Hugs,

Shawn

The vehicle is registered one way and whether you have a CDL or not has no bearing on the registration. My HDT is registered as a RV. I have a non CDL class a. If I had a CDL it wouldn't change the registration. Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your question.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

On 5/8/2017 at 10:43 AM, shawnloring said:

There is still the lingering question, in my mind, as to how this will impact (if at all) non-commercial vehicles driven under a CDL. The inspection requirement appears to still apply to commercial vehicles.

Ron is 100% correct, the type of license you have has no bearing on how your vehicle is registered. And the bill only affect non-commercial vehicles. What license you have makes no difference on what the vehicle is. 

As  you mentioned, this law (if it passes) will not change much for commercial vehicles since they are required by Federal statute, not State law, to have an annual inspection. No law that Texas passes will have any affect on CMV's other than what type of inspection (State or Federal) they will have to have. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 11 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 6:02 PM, Big5er said:

No law that Texas passes will have any affect on CMV's other than what type of inspection (State or Federal) they will have to have. 

Wouldn't the Texas law apply to commercial vehicles if they are only used in the state of TX? I thought that federal law only supersedes state in interstate commerce...

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

All CMV's are required by Federal Law to have annual inspection certificates. The Fed Regs require a specific type inspection and only defer to states with more stringent inspection requirements. The violation for Intra or interstate vehicles is still the same....for violating the Federal Regs. The same goes for lights, tires, brakes etc. Federal law is the only thing that allows safety inspection stops for CMV's without probable cause

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived