Truck/RV choices/opinions

artywoof

I am getting closer to my FT life (September 2017) My house should get listed around July 1. So I wanted to get some opinions from you experienced people since everyone I know will likely not understand the FT life and what’s better or worse as far as choosing a truck/RV.

I am thinking of two ways to go about my choices. I have definitely decided on a truck and travel trailer. Why? Because height is lower, truck bed can have a shell for storage, and I want to use the truck for my business and store the business stuff in it all the time, and with a camper shell it can be a mini camper to take to remote places the RV will not go.

I cannot get a diesel as the smell gives me migraines. So gas it is.

Option 1. GMC/Chevy LT 2500 6.0L, RAM SLT 2500 5.7L or 6.4L, Ford F250 XLT 6.2L sized truck. I prefer them in that order. I am looking used $30-35K. Anything bad about any of them?

The GMC/Chevy seems to be the best used choices with a GVWR 9500 and a 4.10 axel.

The RAM is harder to get right as most I find are 5.7L GVWR 9000 that gives a low truck payload weight. Should I make sure to go with the 6.4L for the RAM?

The Ford has fewer options as the XLT trim has the least options but they all come 6.2L GVWR 10000.

I choose the 2500/250 over the 1500/150 as the brakes and payload will give me all I think I want.

As for the RV with these trucks I would choose: (I am looking at used but these are the new I like)

A) Grand Design Imagine 2650RK [UVW 6125 Hitch 595 GVWR 7700]

B) Winnebago Minnie 2104RG [UVW 5220 Hitch 650 GVWR 7000]

C) Rockwood Ultra Lite2608WS [UVW 6270 Hitch 642 GVWR ? CCC 1372]

D) Winnebago Instinct 28RBDS [UVW 6460 Hitch 800 GVWR 8800]

Option 2. GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado 3.6L gas [Curb 4500, GVWR 6000, GCWR 12000, Max Trailer 7000]

Based on the online calculators I think if I am doing them right this truck should not tow anything over 5600 as that the 20% safety limit. Is that right? Because that means that a UVW for an RV would likely need to be around 4000 with this smaller truck? I am quite sure this smaller truck should not tow any of the larger RVs listed above right?

As for the RV with this smaller truck I was looking at:

Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS [UVW 3705 Hitch ? GVWR 7000]

Basically with option 1 I would have all the capacity I would want in a truck and trailer. But in option 2 I would be nimble and could get into the smaller parks and spaces. I could go boondock better I think with with the RV. But I worry the size is just too small to start out in as a FT traveler. So as much as I think I want to go small with option 2 I think option 1 is more practical but I want to hear from you all about the good bad and ugly of the two options. What do you think of the floor plans for a single guy and a dog?  Thanks Tim

Hi, Tim here I'm an Xscaper Planning for FT September 2017. Currently in Austin TX.

event.png

I would go with Option 1 also...you'll not regret the bigger truck.

As a single gal with 2 dogs I run with a 3/4 ton truck and 27ft 5W with 1 slide. The size is just about perfect for the 3 of us although could easily go to a 24-25ft camper (either 5W or TT). Keeping the trailer under 30ft will give you a lot of camping choices, both boondocking and in parks.

I have never found anywhere I couldn't get with my extended cab truck except for true jeep trails. I also do remote camping with just the truck a lot and I like the option to have a bed with me (I use the back seat vs a camper shell).

As far as layout, only you can decide that and walk through the campers you are interest in, act like you are using everything (incl the toilet and shower) to get a feel if it works for you. I ripped out half of the built-in furniture and replaced it with free-standing furniture that works better for me. 

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

As regular readers know I pretty much only evaluate floor plans. When shopping for us I also look at tank sizes but I didn't do that for you.

I like the Winnebago micro mini except for the lack of storage space. I could not make do with its limitations. Other than that, I would leave the bed made up all the time and I would leave one of the sink bowls covered to have some work space.

The Winnebago Mini looks much more livable to me but I never found a location for a TV so I don't know if I'd be comfortable watching movies or not.

The Grand Design looks very livable except I don't like having my only table be in front of the couch but, of course, all this is personal preference. We did like the retractable TV when we had that.

For the Rockwood Ultralite the term "ultralite" makes me nervous because it sounds underbuilt to me. I also don't like the location of the TV--beside the optional theater seating?!!! How are you supposed to see from there?!

Plus, every one of these units has the microwave above the stove vent which is too high for my short body.

As always, these are my personal opinions and may not apply to you at all.

But I did like the pull out drawer for the dog's dishes which would not apply for me. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Something to keep in mind, GM uses AFM=active fuel management. This cuts out 4 cylinders when power is unneeded. Sounds great, but, do an internet search for this before buying, for your edification. I have a 2013 1500, with 5.3L engine, 6L is built the same. There is a way to disable AFM, use the M mode for the transmission and select gear 5, this prevents the AFM from engaging by locking out gear 6 / 2nd overdrive.

I  say this because what I found about AFM is, engine problems may arise between 60 and 80 thousand miles. However I do not have a clue as to the percentage of failures.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Number 1--- Go to a truck dealer and test drive a new or 2-3 year old diesel.  These new diesels are very clean burning and don't smell like the old ones do.  Just take a look at tips of the exhaust pipe on some of these new trucks.  They are totally clean.  They are so clean they look like they have not been driven.  You won't be sorry for buying the diesel for towing. 

Number 2 --  For FT travel go for the larger trailer.  A 26-28 foot trailer is much more comfortable than a 22 footer.  Plus you get a lot more storage space in the larger trailer.

Number 3 --  You don't mention 4 wheel drive.  I would not tow a trailer with a truck that does not have 4x4.  That is unless you only stay at RV parks.  The 4x4 low range really comes in handy when you are going to National Forest campgrounds or boondocking on public lands.  Sometimes the roads are a little steep and a little bumpy and the 4x4 low range is nice to be able to creep up the short slopes.  Also backing into some of the campsites you have to push the trailer up a little incline.  Much, much easier with 4 tires pushing/pulling.  It is not that you "can't" maneuver with only 2 wheel drive.  It is just so much easier with 4x4. 

For comfort and storage consider moving to a 5th wheel in the 28-30 foot range.  For the back country trips in the truck get a tent.  For tool storage consider the back seat of an extended cab or crew cab in the truck.  I know this is not what you stated you wanted to do, but give it some consideration. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

AI F while the truck may not smell as bad what about at gas stations? You simply can't get away from the smell. I suffer from migraines to. Years of being bed ridden. Anyone who has migraines will do whatever to avoid them. Even if it means buying a so called inferior gas engine.

regards

On 5/5/2017 at 11:38 PM, bruce t said:

Ray the same applies to the RAM. It will drop out of 8 cylinders when not needed. But you can override the feature if it worries you.

Thanks for reminding me Bruce. I forgot to include in my reply about the Range Technology device for GM vehicles that plugs into the OBD port. It locks the ECM into V8 mode. I've used one for approx. 4,000 miles now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks for the input. I WILL be getting a 4X4 for sure.

The reason the 5th Wheeler is out is the need to haul 9 miniature golf course holes around with me. They measure 2' wide by 6' long, I have not weighed them but I would guess they are about 15-20lbs each. These are part of a business I wish to develop and take to events. So the need to store them in the truck bed is priority one. I wish to protect them with a camper shell (and use that as a camper too if I want to go very remote locations the TT will not go) I have a tent so I can use that too.

The Minnie 2104RG is likely my top choice (price point if I buy new). The TV is directly across from the sofa above the dinette that I would like to remove and put in a desk area and a cheesy fake fireplace (heater). I plan to reduce my TV watching anyway by only having Direct TV Now and over the air channels.

For the Imagine I don't mind not having a dinette as I eat at my sofa all the time anyways (single guy here). I like the fireplace and the big closet and two drawers in the bedroom.

I had heard of the cylinder management but did not think they were part of the larger engines in the 3/4 ton trucks so I'll look into that and see what if any choices there are.

If getting a 2013-2016 +/- year tuck anyone have a gripes about any of the brands during those years?

Hi, Tim here I'm an Xscaper Planning for FT September 2017. Currently in Austin TX.

event.png

4 hours ago, artywoof said:

the dinette that I would like to remove and put in a desk area and a cheesy fake fireplace (heater).

Before you decide this is the one to buy, you might want to find out what is under those dinette benches. It is not unusual to find the furnace and/or fresh water tank there.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

49 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Before you decide this is the one to buy, you might want to find out what is under those dinette benches. It is not unusual to find the furnace and/or fresh water tank there.

Linda Sand

Thanks, yes I went looking this past weekend to get measurements of three RV's and confirmed with this one there is nothing under both ends of this dinette, no water/furnace/power lines of any kind. I would just have screw holes to fill in once removed.

event.png

21 hours ago, artywoof said:

Thanks, yes I went looking this past weekend to get measurements of three RV's and confirmed with this one there is nothing under both ends of this dinette, no water/furnace/power lines of any kind. I would just have screw holes to fill in once removed.

Excellent!

Linda Sand

On 5/6/2017 at 5:43 PM, bruce t said:

AI F while the truck may not smell as bad what about at gas stations? You simply can't get away from the smell. I suffer from migraines to. Years of being bed ridden. Anyone who has migraines will do whatever to avoid them. Even if it means buying a so called inferior gas engine.

regards

I apologize.  I wasn't trying to tell you what to do.  I was attempting to point out that the new diesel trucks are much, much better that the older trucks were and that might work for you. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

36 minutes ago, Al F said:

I apologize.  I wasn't trying to tell you what to do.  I was attempting to point out that the new diesel trucks are much, much better that the older trucks were and that might work for you. 

AL F I understand the need for a diesel and then new ones might not have the issues the older ones do. However as Bruce T and I have these issues we (likely Bruce T)  just can't risk having that migraine. My prescription is only 9 pills a month. If I have more migraines than that then I'm screwed. Just going to test the idea of a diesel smelling the pipe to see if its to much is risky as I had considered that at one time just scares me to much. Also I have zero experience with a diesel, so machanically I would be at the murcy of  someone, at least I can fix minor things on a gas. I thank you for your input as I know diesel is better for towing. I would prefer to either struggle up a hill or have to take the long way to avoid the potential migraine issue. Best Tim

event.png

If you want to find out which trailer has a strongest frame you can use a forklift to lift front of the trailer up under the pin box.

Take a measurement to bottom of the pin before lifting and again when the front jack have just (1/16") cleared the ground.

The measurement is the static deflection in the frame. The dynamic defection will increase between 50% and 75%

Less than 1/2" is great

3/4" is acceptable

Pass on anything with 1" or more deflection

2011 Cameo 34SB3

AI F I wasn't jumping up and down. I was trying to point out that it's not always as easy as it can sometimes seem. So don't worry about me. I'm big enough to figure out that everyone needs to do what suits them.

Mind you from a budget point of view I'm yet to be convinced that smokers are cheaper in the long run than gas guzzlers. Power maybe but not $$$$$$$$'s.

regards

Archived