Confused what goes where

Vegas Teacher

OK I am not a mechanic and if I go to a mechanic I want to be able to explain everything to him with the parts that I take him.

I have the following parts and boxes sitting in my living room and my wife wants them gone and hooked up to the Semi - yesterday........

1. Direclink braking system

2. 7 pin blade plug in to go to the trailer it also has a 5 pin attached to it for smaller trailers without brakes like my boat trailer

3. 30' of extension wire with all kinds of colored wire inside of the bigger black wire.

4. Jackalopee on the way

So for some of you I am sure you are thinking this is so easy. I used to do car stereos and there was an order

1. Power from car to head unit

2. Head unit wired to cross over

3. cross over wired to Amp (s)

4. Amp(s) to speaker(s)

Anyway I am completely confused on what to wire to what and who talks to who. Also please understand something if you write back I am dyslexic so this is part of my problem. So if I take my Semi into a shop to get it wired and they ask me questions could you it like I did the stereo example. And how do I explain this to a mechanic? I teach Biology not physics LOL!!!

Later,

Cory O -  Vegas Teacher

I think you will find that the instructions included with the Jackalopee will answer all your questions.  They are very good and detailed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Work it backwards from the trailer. The 7-pin cable that goes to the trailer carries lights, power, turn signals and brake control.

The Jackalopee converts the 3 light DOT truck system to the 2 light RV system. It has provisions for 12 V DC power, brake controller wiring, and other options.

Check out http://rvhaulers.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Jackalopee-Manual1.pdf
for instructions on the jackolopee.

The brake controller and the original trailer light pigtail meet at the Jackalopee and then go to the new trailer connection. Make sense?

The directlink will plug into the diag port, and will have an output wire that goes to the jackalopee to head to your trailer.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

1. Take the black cable that is wired to the commercial trailer jack at the left back corner of the cab.

2. Disconnect that cable from the commercial outlet.

3. Route the cable to inside of the lower aft compartment at the back of your cab.

4. The cable provides the input feeds into the Jackalopee for all the lights.

5. Route your new cable from the Jackalopee to the back of the truck, wherever you are mounting the new trailer light jack.

6. Hook up the cab end of that cable to the output side of the Jackalopee.

7. Finish wiring the Jackalopee as per the supplied instructions.

8. Install the Direclink, as per the supplied instructions.

9. route a blue wire from the Direclink to the brake input on the Jackalopee.

10. Attach your trailer and plug into trailer jack.

11. Drive to camping spot.

12. Park truck in camp site.

13. Consume mass quantity of adult beverage. 

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Thanks to those who have responded it is appreciated. There are a few things with wiring I understand but I don't know how to do everything, and with something as specific as this I want it to be perfect. I am now trying to locate a good garage in Vegas to do this. I called camping world and they backed out quickly, as fast as they could say no.

VT,  if it eases your mind any, when we got our Jackalopee, my wife looked over the directions and declared it a "piece of cake."  She's a bit more mechanical than many guys I know, but the directions really are that good.  VF will help you through the tough spots.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Bring it to a rally. It will all be installed before you leave!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

17 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Thanks to those who have responded it is appreciated. There are a few things with wiring I understand but I don't know how to do everything, and with something as specific as this I want it to be perfect. I am now trying to locate a good garage in Vegas to do this. I called camping world and they backed out quickly, as fast as they could say no.

Teach.....you worry too much .....let Flyer help you some more......

IMPORTANT:  Listen up..........Get those parts out of sight of the wife.........WIFE can be the most "Critical-Part" part of any HDT adventure........dyslexic excuse is nice but it has no weight with wives........I know .....boy oh boy do I know.....

Ok here is the drill......load all your parts in the truck......drive to the shop......wait for Flyer to meet you at the shop......hand Flyer your highest credit balance credit card..........Flyer will insert the credit card ("Chip-UP") into the shop credit card machine.......and some day the parts will be cobbled into the truck........

Trust Flyer........Pilots really know how to run credit cards..........UP........UP 

Drive on.........(How high is your .....balance)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I recommend a terminal strip (with cover) on both the input and output sides of the Jackalope. That allows you to easily hook up future items. And just take my word for it - there WILL be future items. It also provides good test points for future debugging. Something like THIS works well.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

7 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Thanks all o am getting ready for jury duty and laughing so hard I am cruomg right now. O hot the hitch installed over the weekend and could not be happier with the work. I got s guy lined up to do the rest. My buddy Geo knew somebody. 

Later Cory Ossana 

Not to get too picky , but , I'm just guessing you didn't proof read that^ post . Maybe a pot or two less coffee might help ? LOL

Goes around , comes around .

9 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Thanks all o am getting ready for jury duty and laughing so hard I am cruomg right now. O hot the hitch installed over the weekend and could not be happier with the work. I got s guy lined up to do the rest. My buddy Geo knew somebody. 

Later Cory Ossana 

Hi Cory,

I am going to try to post a couple pictures of my set-up. I think it can help you.

iLTvEV6l.jpg

B3UbQbKl.jpg

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Nice job, Alan. That is the way I like to see it!!! You will be very glad some day that you did that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1 hour ago, Jack Mayer said:

Nice job, Alan. That is the way I like to see it!!! You will be very glad some day that you did that.

Thank you Jack. I also have a Lexan cover to protect the terminal strips. I have not installed the cover yet.

Al

On 5/8/2017 at 8:47 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Cory,

I am going to try to post a couple pictures of my set-up. I think it can help you.

iLTvEV6l.jpg

B3UbQbKl.jpg

If and when I get to that point. I would love you to teach me to make one that nice. And I know it being like that. If you were to sell the truck. I'm sure the next owner should pay extra. Because they know there life is  going to be so much better. Not pulling there hair out trying to figure out where that nest of wires go.

Did you make up the cover for that? Looking forward to seeing the cover on it when you get to that point.

And that's a nice job well done.

event.png

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:04 PM, HERO Maker said:

Nice neat job Alan.  I keep saying, "one of these days"!

Hi Rocky,

If you come back to next years ECR, I would be more than willing to help you with this project. The Jackalopee and the terminal strips are mounted to 3/4" plywood. And the plywood is bolted to the truck.

If I where to do this job over. I would make one change. I did not know that there is clear heat shrink tubing. I would cover my labels on the wires with clear heat shrink tubing.

Al

Archived