Suggestions for between Denver and Moab please

Londoner

Hello

Re: Interested in the bit between and including Denver-Moab. I have no idea whats there. Please suggest routes and sights and hikes.

First post (so pls tell if its in wrong place). I dont own an RV, I just hire. So apologies to butt into your forum, but in my experience RVers give me THE BEST advice

This summer I need to visit a friend in Denver. Its fine for me to not start driving straight away cos I get jetlag (from UK), and so daytripping from Denver could suit me well to begin with. (Or I could go further afield if that really wouldnt work).

So, I could use Denver as a base for up to a week (unless thats a bad idea). But Id also like to drive from there - possibly towards Moab area (where I had such a great time driving last summer). I like scenic drives, Im happy with remote spots, but I wont have an off-road vehicle for tougher routes; and I like lots of (easy and difficult) hiking opportunities.

Last year I loved driving and hiking Zion to Moab to Monument Valley to Grand Canyon. En route I dipped into Colorado from Monticello, Utah, to visit the Mesa Verde CO ruins, so not keen to go back down to that part of CO.

I was hoping someone here could suggest a route that begins with me flying to Denver.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give.

Mark

From Denver, I-70 west is impressive as it is.... just take it to Moab at 191.

If you want to do some secondary roads get off I-70 at Vail, Colorado and get on Hwy 24 south and take it down to Hwy 50 at Poncha Springs. Then take Hwy 50 west through Gunnison to Montrose.  It doesn't sound like you'll be using a RV for this trip. If you're in a car, at Montrose take 550 south to Silverton for a couple night's stay. Rent a Jeep for some awesome 4-wheeling (a favorite part of the country of ours). You won't believe the scenery. Continue south to Durango, Colorado and take 160 west to Cortez then 491 into Utah and 191 north to Moab.

From Silverton you could backtrack on 550 to Ridgway and take 62 to 145 toward Naturita then pick up Hwy 90/46  taking you into Utah through the LaSal mountains to 191. Head north on 191 to Moab.

We've done all those roads and even if you have a RV they are good and absolutely very scenic.  Have a great trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

So many routes, so many choices. Whichever way you choose to go the routes are spectacular and you really can't go wrong. I am particularly in favor of the Telluride/Ouray/Silverton/Durango area via Glenwood Springs or Montrse when I make recommendations and although close to Mesa Verde the terrain is very very different.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Interstate 70 to Grand Junction. Then south to highway 141 to Naturita. Then 46 to Moab.

Highway 141 is an 'undiscovered' gem of a drive. We have done it a few times simply because it is such a nice drive. (You follow the Dolores river as it winds its way through deep red canyons). See the Hanging Flume. A world heritage structure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Flume

bruce

On 5/2/2017 at 8:18 PM, bruce t said:

Interstate 70 to Grand Junction. Then south to highway 141 to Naturita. Then 46 to Moab.

Highway 141 is an 'undiscovered' gem of a drive. We have done it a few times simply because it is such a nice drive. (You follow the Dolores river as it winds its way through deep red canyons). See the Hanging Flume. A world heritage structure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Flume

bruce

My wife and I drove that route a couple years ago in a car. We vere very pleasantly surprised about how nice of a drive it was! 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Archived