Lowe's expands military discount to all veterans

Retiredin1993

Good catch on this - Thanks.

Did a lot of buying down in Yuma, AZ the last few months, and had the basic choice of buying at Lowe's or Home Depot.   The Lowe's there gave the discount without hesitation, Home Depot always as an 'exception to policy if asked'.   The dollars were significant, so I asked - and a few times, denied.

Lets hope Home Depot follows suit.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Lowes here in Bossier City and Home Depot always gave me my discount without question. Retiree so that may be the difference. MY problem is remembering to ask for it on small purchases. 15 cents adds up too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

jlapeer, we hit Lowes in Yuma heavy this snowbird season also. Just always showed my VA card and the checkout folks were great, as many of them stated "Thanks for your service". And I also used it at Home Depot in Yuma with no issues. There are locations of the above mentioned companies that I have successfully gotten the discount but it seems to "raise eyebrows" at some locations. I always figured with the Marine Base and so many retired military folks in the Yuma area it was just common.

bobsallyh, it was only at Home Depot in Yuma that I ran into occasional problems.   And reflecting back, probably only at the patio checkout where we were buying yard stuff.   They were polite, always called a supervisor, and explained it was against their policy except on days like Memorial Day and Veterans Day - and more often than not, they would make a 'one-time exception'.

And this old Marine loves the Marine Corp Air Station...   

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

24 minutes ago, wildmandmc said:

at Lowes ya just have to show some sort of Military Card. I use my VA Card. At Home Depot, was always a huge pain
in my butt to get the Discount.

I've used Lowes and HD both many times and have had NO Problems at either.  Just present Retiree ID card to cashier.  At Lowes the cashier used to have to get approval from a supervisor but not any more.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

2 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

I've used Lowes and HD both many times and have had NO Problems at either.  Just present Retiree ID card to cashier.  At Lowes the cashier used to have to get approval from a supervisor but not any more.

I am a veteran, but not a military retiree, so my proof of service is my DD-214. That and the fact that my Texas drivers license lists my veteran status, again based on my DD-214. 

This type of veteran status is not accepted by HD.  I would have to get a VA ID card before HD will recognize me as a veteran. 

I have not, as of yet, tried to verify if Lowes will accept my drivers license or DD-214 as proof of my veteran status. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

If you sign up with Lowe's at the link I posted above, they'll send you a MyLowe's card on request that's good for the discount at all of their stores. Once registered, you can also get the discount with your just your phone number. When you sign in to your MyLowes account, online orders automatically have the discount applied at checkout. All that's required to register is your name and exact date of discharge. My approval came within minutes of submitting it, and I'm currently waiting for the card to arrive.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 5/9/2017 at 8:29 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

If you sign up with Lowe's at the link I posted above, they'll send you a MyLowe's card on request that's good for the discount at all of their stores. Once registered, you can also get the discount with your just your phone number. When you sign in to your MyLowes account, online orders automatically have the discount applied at checkout. All that's required to register is your name and exact date of discharge. My approval came within minutes of submitting it, and I'm currently waiting for the card to arrive.

You can also get the MyLowes card at the store.  It is NOT a credit card.  I got my card at the store several days ago and registered it this morning.  I simply updated the MyLowes account I already have...didn't have to create a new account.

I did have to search the site and sign in again for the military discount "application".  Now I show my MyLowes card and get the discount automatically.  Did it this morning.  Also get the discount online.

On 5/9/2017 at 3:48 AM, wildmandmc said:

at Lowes ya just have to show some sort of Military Card. I use my VA Card. At Home Depot, was always a huge pain
in my butt to get the Discount.

At both stores, a great deal depends upon local management in just what is accepted. At our Lindale, TX Lowe's and the Tyler Home Depot both are pretty easy but, Lowe's is expanding their policy to become uniform system-wide, including internet shopping. An employee in our local Lowe's told me that at some point in the future it is their plan to only accept the MyLowe's card or the owner's phone number that is linked to it. She said that when that happens a vet who has something else will be accepted but referred to the customer service department to get registered. One very nice feature to this new method is that you no longer need to wait for a supervisor to do an override when making a large purchase. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived