Generator Set-up on TT

freestoneangler

56 minutes ago, Yarome said:

Yes. As in 2 so they can be parallelled to run things like AC, power tools, etc.

I'm guessing the higher output unit simply becomes too large to readily move around?  Looks like even the 2400w model is at the threshold for the common 13.5 BTU AC's.  I like the idea of having a storage box on the A-frame but wonder if running it in that location would create a vibration inside.  Also, I suspect the available space behind the propane tanks differs quite a bit between TT's and then there is the question of safety? 

This arrangement looks nice, but I disagree with the statement that they are secure.  Add the weight of a pair of generators inside and bouncing on the back bumper and I'd always be wondering if it would get to destination.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mounting+a+portable+generatot+on+a+travel+trailer&view=detail&mid=400D5A046AA1925E1382400D5A046AA1925E1382&FORM=VIRE

This also seems bulky and would really bounce around.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mounting+a+portable+generatot+on+a+travel+trailer&view=detail&mid=AF8B0D39740D95A7CFFAAF8B0D39740D95A7CFFA&FORM=VIRE

A bit better in terms of rigidness, and affords another secure storage box.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mounting+a+portable+generatot+on+a+travel+trailer&&view=detail&mid=7B598A58CFEE8BB9C4E67B598A58CFEE8BB9C4E6&rvsmid=AF8B0D39740D95A7CFFAAF8B0D39740D95A7CFFA&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

Now this guy's approach is pretty spiffy.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mounting+a+portable+generatot+on+a+travel+trailer&&view=detail&mid=5E2AD83F78200A9A626C5E2AD83F78200A9A626C&rvsmid=AF8B0D39740D95A7CFFAAF8B0D39740D95A7CFFA&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

• 3 months later...

Update on my decision.  After speaking with two neighbors about this, I find that one who had a Honda 3000 said his had struggles running their 13.5K BTU AC.  Another who has Champion 3500 watt likewise said his bogs down as well.  He switched to the dual 2000 watt units and has subsequently had no issues at all. Since I plan to store on the A-frame cargo stand/tray, the lighter weight of the smaller units will be nice (the 3000 is 107# empty).  I get 4000 watts for the same price, and the versatility of taking one for other day trip needs, etc.  Pretty sure I'm going with the Honda's, but still considering the Yamaha's.

I didn't see it mentioned, but something to consider is a dual fuel unit. If you do not use a generator often, stale gasoline or clogging of the carburetor can be an issue. This does not occur with propane, so running on propane for a while before shutting down for storage can eliminate some issues. It can also reduce the need to transport as much gasoline as most trailers have at least 20# or more of propane onboard. Not sure if Honda offers this option, but there are Yamaha dual fuel generators available with the factory warranty. 

As for the size of the generator required to run  a 13.5 BTU AC, one also has to be aware of what else is running. After pulling into a site, using the electric tongue jack, putting down the jacks/stabilizers, and  running out the slide; the charger will be pulling 5amps (600 watts) when first connected to shore power or the generator. If I want to power on the AC right away with the Yamaha 2400, I have to turn the charger off.

Good points on the fuel maintenance and option.  I would probably just run the units dry if they were going to be idle for extended periods - for sure in high humidity regions.  I have read about setting these twin units up to feed off a separate/larger tank, but for now, we'll just try to make do with refills.

I did just install the new Stromberg-Carlson cargo deck and it worked great.  Had to relocate the low press gas hose clamp and the battery ground to frame locations to clear the A-frame bracket, but otherwise about a 1 hour job as advertised.  This unit is very well made and sturdy.  I suspect it would safely hold much more weight than the 300#'s specified.  The only other change was switching from the hard plastic propane tanks cover to a soft cover.  I will try and get a picture to share.  The one's I took and try to upload are too large a file (forums limits seem awfully low as compared to many other forums).

IMG_7861.JPG

IMG_7860.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

We used to have a TT and I used two Honda 2000i gas generators in parallel to run the A/C.to

The reason for the two was weight.  42 pounds each  I can lift the Honda 3000 or 4000 weigh too

much for this old man to lift.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

On 8/9/2017 at 7:06 AM, freestoneangler said:

I would probably just run the units dry if they were going to be idle for extended periods.

I did just install the new Stromberg-Carlson cargo deck and it worked great.

I'll tell ya... this new forum layout... I seem to miss out on a lot. Can't "follow" every thread and you never know when something good is going to pop up.

I want me one of THEM!! Where did you get yours?? I saw it on eTrailer and Amazon. Happen to run across any unbelievable deals when you got yours?

That is one thing that is nice about the Yamaha's. They have a fuel shut-off so you can run your carb dry without having to burn any more fuel from the tank than needed and it makes it easy to do after every use. If you're like me at all... when the genny gets shut down I really have no idea of how long it will be before I'll need it again. Running the carb dry after each use makes it a no brainer.

I also prefer not having a fuel pump. Running off an external tank requires a little more finesse (as it is gravity fed), but quite doable.

46 minutes ago, Yarome said:

I'll tell ya... this new forum layout... I seem to miss out on a lot. Can't "follow" every thread and you never know when something good is going to pop up.

I want me one of THEM!! Where did you get yours?? I saw it on eTrailer and Amazon. Happen to run across any unbelievable deals when you got yours?

That is one thing that is nice about the Yamaha's. They have a fuel shut-off so you can run your carb dry without having to burn any more fuel from the tank than needed and it makes it easy to do after every use. If you're like me at all... when the genny gets shut down I really have no idea of how long it will be before I'll need it again. Running the carb dry after each use makes it a no brainer.

I also prefer not having a fuel pump. Running off an external tank requires a little more finesse (as it is gravity fed), but quite doable.

Top left of the page , click ACTIVITY > UNREAD CONTENT . 

Any thread you posted in will have a star in front of the title . 

It's my site page I have in my favorites / bookmarks . I don't need any other page , other than an occasional search . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:35 PM, Yarome said:

I purchased it from Amazon.  They were about $30 less than Camping World and the cheapest price I found.  It's the Stromberg Carlson CC-255 Trailer Cargo Tray.  That's a nice feature on the Yamaha's.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:06 AM, freestoneangler said:

Good points on the fuel maintenance and option.  I would probably just run the units dry if they were going to be idle for extended periods - for sure in high humidity regions.  I have read about setting these twin units up to feed off a separate/larger tank, but for now, we'll just try to make do with refills.

Building an extended run system for two H2000 is one of the best things we did.

We bought the caps on Ebay. The set up is like the one below but with primer (outboard) bulbs for each engine and we use 2.5gal gas cans instead of 5gal.

http://www.genxdirect.com/b-e-r-g-s/bergs-i/ipi-bergs-2-dual-generator-extended-run-fuel-system-tank-included-part-hnd1-2000id/

We try to buy premium gas that doesn't have methanol and we carry fuel stabilizer. 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

9 hours ago, J-T said:

We try to buy premium gas that doesn't have methanol and we carry fuel stabilizer. 

I have just made it a practice to use a good fuel stabilizer in all of my fuel containers for small engines of any kind. It can't hurt and greatly extends the useful life of the stored fuel. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Had a Yamaha 2400 gen-set, nice quite unit, but about 80 pounds.  It has a fuel shut off valve that I always used to turn unit off before storage, but the unit would not run smooth after storage for a year. Disassembled the carburetor and cleaned with compressed air, it started running fine again.  Decided when storing over 30 days with the fuel turned off, to drain the carburetor float bowl.

Wanted a lighter weigh gen-set, purchased a Honda EU2000i. For storage with the fuel valve off, I drain the carburetor float bowl when storing over 30 days.

Bill

Oliver TT

Used to turn gas valve off and let it die for years and it worked fine.

Had trouble getting the Yamaha to run properly after storage once, even with new fuel after getting all the old fuel out until  I cleaned out the carburetor. That's when I started draining the float bowl on my gen-sets when stored over 30 days. Only takes a couple minutes to drain the float bowl on my new Honda EU2000i.

Bill

Oliver TT

29 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Used to turn gas valve off and let it die for years and it worked fine.

Had trouble getting the Yamaha to run properly after storage once, even with new fuel after getting all the old fuel out until  I cleaned out the carburetor. That's when I started draining the float bowl on my gen-sets when stored over 30 days. Only takes a couple minutes to drain the float bowl on my new Honda EU2000i.

after bowl drain put the choke and ignition "on" and give 'er one more flutter - if it fires for a second or two there was a little bit of gasohol lurking in the carb... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

55 minutes ago, noteven said:

after bowl drain put the choke and ignition "on" and give 'er one more flutter - if it fires for a second or two there was a little bit of gasohol lurking in the carb... 

Great Tip! That's why I like this group! Lots of experience here!

Just purchased a new EU2000i a few months ago. Believe the fuel valve and ignition are connected together, can't get to the gen-set right now to look how it's put together.

Here's what Honda says:

"Storing Your Honda EU1000i, EU2000i, or EU3000i for More Than 4 Weeks (30 days)"

Storage Time: 1 to 2 months
"Storage Time: 2 to 12 months (or less than once a month operation)
  1. Drain the carburetor following the directions shown in your owner’s manual.
  2. Close the fuel cap vent. Store in a cool dry area.
Storage Time: More than 1 year (long term storage)
  1. Drain the fuel tank and carburetor following the instructions in your owner’s manual.
  2. Close the fuel cap vent. Store in a cool dry area."

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/eu-generator-fuel-recommendations

Bill

Oliver TT

Archived