O/N Boondock spot, Ely, NV, US-50 & US-6?

Jim & Alice

Most recent edition of the DaysEnd directory does not show this Boondock spot: (From 2013)

"NV, ELY: Very lg, fairly level, gravel pkg area. O/N, trucks & RVs use. No signs. At NW corner of
jct US-50 & US-6.
2 of the 4 entrances blocked w/ concrete barriers. Open sky for solar &
satellite. Dale Southern #75777 viewed Jul 11. Updated by Dave & Mary Anne Dykstra #71732
viewed Oct 11."

We stayed there just last May, and are wondering if it has been removed?

Thanks,

Jim LaPeer 

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

There's a McDonalds on the Northwest corner of US-6 and US-50.  However, both Google Maps and Google Earth are showing a large empty lot directly to the west of there.  So unless something has been built there very recently, or it's been blocked off for some reason, I don't know why it would have been taken off.  Unfortunately, Day's End no longer sends updates between new issues of the listings, so I can't go back to see why it may have been deleted.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Interesting.  My wife and I are planning a trip to Ely this summer for her 50th HS reunion.  Since this location is right across the street from a Fire Station, it might not be the quietest place to boondock.  We will probably look for someplace to dry camp closer to McGill, as we will be towing one of the Jeeps that we can use to drive around and explore some of the old haunts.

-mel

28978617565_d72353b0df_m.jpg

Thanks for the replies, folks.   I have emailed Guy, but I am sure he is quite busy.   When my Verizon data account recycles I will do a little more researching.   We have O/N in this spot for the last 4 years, and have found it to be quiet, and comfortable.

As a fallback, I am looking at this spot that appears to be just down the road:  

"Silver Sage Chevron Travel Ctr/Truck Stop. Lg gravel lot in rear used by RVs & a few trucks, also lots closer to hwy on both sides of bldg. Clean restrooms, showers ($), D & W free. US-6/50/93, 1.3 mi SE of downtown where US-50 heads W, or 1/4 mi SE of where US-6 heads W."

Thanks,

Jim

2007 Dolphin

As your coming down into Ely from the west on Highway 6 there is the Ward Mountain Recreation Area on National Forest land.

Nice campground. I came through in March campground was open with NO FEES. Since water was not turned on and toilets locked.

Nice trails leaving the campground. It is a ORV site. You can get any size rig into trailheads. There is a "trailer" spur that I did fit my Dodge and 31 foot 5th wheel.

Well, over 24 stations over the air, and LTE Verizon service with four bars and 20 Mbps download speeds on data.

Find it on Google earth you can see the size of the campgrounds. This is not one of those dinky FS campgrounds.

It is really close to Ely and much nicer than the Sinclair gas station.

here is the link to the campground: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/htnf/recarea/?recid=65536

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

On 4/26/2017 at 10:51 PM, jlapeer said:

Most recent edition of the DaysEnd directory does not show this Boondock spot: (From 2013)

"NV, ELY: Very lg, fairly level, gravel pkg area. O/N, trucks & RVs use. No signs. At NW corner of
jct US-50 & US-6.
satellite. Dale Southern #75777 viewed Jul 11. Updated by Dave & Mary Anne Dykstra #71732
viewed Oct 11."

Thanks,

Jim LaPeer 

Did you submit a report to Days End so others will be aware of the parking area? 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, jlapeer said:

jct US-50 & US-6.
viewed Oct 11."

Here's an Update to this question.

Drove by the corner lot this afternoon, and it is about 75% complete in becoming a Love's Truck stop.   Buildings are up, and pavement is being worked on.   Should be open within a couple months.   This location might still again become a viable O/N spot, but only as a Love's parking lot site.   There does appears to be plenty of parking space available yet.   Deserves a checkback.

2007 Dolphin

NOTE:  The Days End website has an "Updates Log" section that lists the significant updates to the current and previous directory.

In the previous directory I found the listing of the deleted entry for Ely listing being questioned in this topic.

NV, ELY: Very lg, fairly level, gravel pkg area. O/N, trucks & RVs use. No signs. At SW corner of jct US-6/50 where US-6 goes W, next to McDonalds. Open sky for solar/sat. Dale Southern #75777 viewed Jul 11. Last updated by Thomas Hurd #16772 viewed Sep 13. Last reval by Jim & Alice LaPeer #109969 stayed May 15.

REMOVED - \'they are building a Loves truck stop here, all fenced off\'. Dale Southern #75777 viewed Sep 16.

The deletion was posted on  2016-09-17 03:50:52 .

Just another example of the effort and attention to detail made by Guy Gipson the editor of Days End.

Many thanks to Guy.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Good points, Al.

I am aware that Guy is making a lot of changes to Days End, but my own use the last 8 months has been pretty much a downloaded PDF.   I did not even know a change log existed.   Guy does good work, and I have his Days End Directory / Escapees featured on my web site's home page.   When we get 'stopped' again, I may have to do some catching up on improvements.

2007 Dolphin

Archived