House is sold, what now?

jblo

I have been reading a lot here for several years, but guess most of it didn't stick as we weren't ready to get out of the house. Well, we thought it over and decided to sell. We have been towing an RV since '79 and never had to worry about where we were going to go home to--the house sold in 1 day for full price and now we have 36 days before closing. Live in TX, want to stay around but not buy a house. I do contract work off and on and will probably put the trailer somewhere near when a job comes up--mostly in TX & LA. Thought I was ready, but now that it is going to happen, not so sure. Had a garage sale, got rid of quite a bit, but nowhere near enough. Will be boxing up 'stuff' that we haven't learned we could do without.  So, I think I will be working thru Escapees for the mail forwarding, and using that address as long as we don't find an RV Port Home we like.

My first question is about medical insurance--we are both on Medicare and use a local 4-county supplemental health plan--but it won't work once we have the Livingston address. Anyone have a suggestion as to who to check with about supplemental policy that will be useful in Texas and elsewhere?

I have insurance with NatGen thru Good Sam for the fiver, but probably won't be able to use TX Farm Bureau after the 'move'--any thoughts on vehicle insurance?

Appreciate any advice from you veterans.

Thanks,

Joe

It sounds like you have a Medicare "Advantage" plan now.  I believe these typically are HMO's or PPO's which include hospitalization, Dr visits, outpatients care and drug plans in one package, but you have to go the doctors and hospitals associated with the plan, in the geographic areas the plan covers.

If you switch to straight Medicare (Plan A), with Plan B for Dr visits and out patient care, and Plan D for drugs. You can go to any place which accepts Medicare.  You will pay a 20% copay for the Plan A & B.  Plan D gets complicated as different companies pay different amounts for some medications and there are differing costs for the plan depending on lots and lots of variables.   There are other restrictions for Plan D. 

For the two of us we use the above set up and we have added Medicare Plan F, which covers the 20% copay, the annual deductible and the other limitations built into Medicare Plan A & B.

As stated above, the good part of what we have, is the ability to go anywhere in the country and go to any doctor and/or hospital which accepts Medicare and get treatment.  Since we travel a lot, 6-9 months of the year this works great for us.

You will need to go to the Medicare.gov web site for details on Medicare.  For Medicare Plan F you can go to places like Humana, Aetna, etc, etc for info about costs for Plan F. 

BTW, all Plan F's have the same coverage, dictated by Medicare. 

For Plan D for drugs, you will need to go, again to Humana, Aetna, etc, etc and compare prices, and coverage.  Figuring out which company and which of the companies offerings covers which drugs for what cost gets to be a real pain. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We also chose regular Medicare and a supplemental policy. I forget the letter, but it covers everything except the deductible. There is another letter that also covers the deductible, but the premium for that one is more than the deductible higher than the one we chose.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

10 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We also chose regular Medicare and a supplemental policy. I forget the letter, but it covers everything except the deductible. There is another letter that also covers the deductible, but the premium for that one is more than the deductible higher than the one we chose.

If you have Plan N, which is similar to Plan F, there is a very significant difference other than Plan N not paying the deductible.  Plan N also does not cover extended stays in the hospital, (and a couple of other things if I remember correctly) which can get very, very expensive.  That is the main reason  Plan N is less expensive.

On the other hand, extended stays in the hospital are fairly rare, but if it does happen to you it happen to you (the public you, not the person I quoted) it could break the bank.

Anyone considering a Medicare supplement, be sure to read and understand exactly what is covered and what is not covered. 

When we were moving to a Medicare supplement, I spent quite a bit of time reading the details about what is and is NOT covered in the different supplement plans. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived