Samsung GAlaxy S8

OK you cutting edge tech people I know someone has gotten the new S8 by now. What are your thoughts on it?

I still use a Galaxy S3 and it's on it's last leg so need a new phone. I would probably be smart to go with a S5 and still experience a improvement and step up AND do it cheaper but am thinking I should just go to the S8 and be cutting edge for at least a few months LOL!!    

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Even the S4 will be a huge improvement but if you want to be able to run all the lasted apps then go with at least a S6. I have a S7 Edge and a S8 is being shipped to the wife.....she's the one making all the money.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

I love our S7 Edge, and not yet compelled to upgrade to an S8 until they start publishing deals that I can then get out of the S7 without losing too much money.  I'd personally look for an S7 or S7 Edge on a screaming deal now that it isnt the latest and greatest.  The improvement over your current phone will be mind blowing.  Also, if you are a Costco member, you can get some great activation deals.  When we got our S7's there was $225 back in the form of a costco gift card for new lines.  Takes 14 weeks but we got our gift cards.  Then I found out you can cash those cards at customer service, which I did since we don't use that much at Costco.

Both of you are right, even going to the 6 or 7 would be a huge improvement and to be honest the 3 has been just fine for me and the only reason I'm switching is that the 3 has had it's better days and is becoming not as reliable. I think I will just see what deals are on the 7 and save some money, that never hurts.

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

I just upgraded to Verizon's Unlimited plan and also upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone to a new phone.

I was originally going to go with the Galaxy S8+, but went, instead, with the Galaxy S7 Edge.  The main reason for not going with the S8+ was that in reading reviews, it was noted that the S8+ was so new, that some apps were not yet optimized for it.  Now, whether or not that would affect me personally, I don't know, but decided to play it safe.

I also ordered a Samsung Galaxy J7 V for DH.  It came yesterday (my phone arrives today) and, so far, I've found it to be a very nice phone.  It's almost exactly the same size as my current Note 4.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 minute ago, LindaH said:

I just upgraded to Verizon's Unlimited plan and also upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone to a new phone.

I was originally going to go with the Galaxy S8+, but went, instead, with the Galaxy S7 Edge.  The main reason for not going with the S8+ was that in reading reviews, it was noted that the S8+ was so new, that some apps were not yet optimized for it.  Now, whether or not that would affect me personally, I don't know, but decided to play it safe.

I also ordered a Samsung Galaxy J7 V for DH.  It came yesterday (my phone arrives today) and, so far, I've found it to be a very nice phone.  It's almost exactly the same size as my current Note 4.

The S8+ might be already running Andoid 7.0 Nougat or it will be expecting it soon. That could be where those reviews came from, but it wouldn't take long for apps to catch up, and the big apps should already have no issues with 7.0 or the newer phones. My Nexus has been on Android 7.0 for awhile now and no issues. I'm sure between the S7 edge and the S8+, both are very nice phones. The nice thing about a later phone is it usually stays up to date with updates longer than a previous model, so just something to keep in mind.

The Note 4 was a really nice phone. I ended cracking the screen on mine, my wife fixed the screen and used it for herself, but then the display flaked out and we gave up on it. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

BlueLghtning made a spot on observation about a bit newer phone staying relevant for upgrades going forward. 

I think the S7 Edge is a great choice... Especially for people, like myself, that hang onto phones for two, or three generations:)! For years, I've upgraded my wife's iPhone every time the iPhone would jump by four generations. (Not iPhone 5 to 6 for example. I count iPhone 5S as a generation. So when her phone is 4 Generations back, I usually go ahead and get her the now 'Two Generations' old phone. (I know what I was doing, but dang if I think I said it correctly!! Or clearly!). We did this because we were retaining her GF UDP on ATT. So were purchasing either via private party off of Craigslist's. And a few from SWAPA as New Old Stock. 

As we just abandoned her GF UDP (Kept paying the funds as we hoped they would eventually allow HotSpot with it, but no cigar.), and she is now for the first time since the first iPhone came out - on the current generation phone (iPhone 7). 

Me? Yeah I have GF UDP Verizon, and also purchase my phones outright. I used to just hang onto them until they started acting up. But found that with all of the changes from 3G to 4G to LTE to New Bands LTE, etc., etc. - And as we're now traveling more in the RV, I'd upgrade them more frequently to take advantage of the new stuff for faster download speeds. (I did replace my Motorola RAZR M (Think it was the M, not the MAX.), due to a bulging battery that I believe was caused from a WeBoost Sleek Toaster (I call it a toaster, dang thing gets HOT!!!). Before I realized I needed to keep a pacer between the phone and the sleek's cradle. (IMO, embarrassing that WeBoost has not fixed this problem, and done a recall.) So jumped from a non Motorola for the first time, and have the Samsung S6 (Two generations old when I bought it from SWAPA.) 

Linda - Hope your S7 Edge works out well for you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

10 hours ago, J-T said:

FYI.....it only took me 2 days to gouge/scratch the screen on the S7 Edge which surprised since I had my S4 for 3 years with only some wear marks on the screen.

Dang, I have had my S3 for I'm guessing 5 years or at least close and don't have a scratch one on the face.

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

I bought a hard case for the phone and a Navor wallet as a 2nd thought. After using the hard case for a couple of weeks I removed the hard case and put it in the wallet. It has been there ever ( without more scratches) since. After year of juggling keys, phone, wallet it is nice having just a wallet and keys.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

S3 to S4 Would see a huge improvement . Going with the S7 would be well admired. Best of it would be the Picture Quality. As with any new upgrade that just came out the $$ for it just way out there. My idea is get the latest just a short time before the Next Upgrade comes out. It's like buying a left over model yr, save so much more.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

22 hours ago, J-T said:

FYI.....it only took me 2 days to gouge/scratch the screen on the S7 Edge which surprised since I had my S4 for 3 years with only some wear marks on the screen.

I'm getting a case for the phone, which should arrive today plus a screen saver.  I'm not very hard on my phones, so hopefully, I won't have any problems.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 4/28/2017 at 10:04 AM, J-T said:

I wouldn't even consider having one of these phones without having applied a tempered glass screen protector.  If you pay the price and buy a good one, like a Zagg you won't even know it is there.  But avoid the cheapees like the plague because they're too thick and ruin the phone's touch response.  The Zagg on my S7 has saved me several times from what could have been serious damage.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I searched a few months ago and didnt see a tempered glass protector for the curved S7 Edge screen that had decent reviews, apparently the curve makes it difficult to make one that will stay on.  I ended up just keeping the screen naked because I really do the like the feel.  I am not nice to the phone, and have scuffed the screen.  Thankfully any of the imperfections aren't noticeable when the screen is on, just off.  If anyone finds a protector they like let me know!

1 hour ago, dartmouth01 said:

I searched a few months ago and didn't see a tempered glass protector for the curved S7 Edge screen that had decent reviews, apparently the curve makes it difficult to make one that will stay on.

Yet another reason why I'm totally content with my S7 without having paid extra for an Edge.  When I bought mine the Verizon guy couldn't think of a reason to buy an Edge other than looks and since I was going to put it into an OtterBox anyway the "looks" were going to be largely hidden.  IMHO I buy a phone to use its features as tools.  I honestly don't care what color its case is or whether or not its screen is curved.  If I was a 20-something I might feel differently, but at my age I'm looking for a phone, not a fashion statement.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

The wife is very happy with her Galaxy S7 Edge.  It does have a tempered glass curved edge cover.  There are features ove a plain S7, the store rep was just not educated.

I had a Note 7 until Verizon demanded it back, twice.  Now with a Note 5.  Waiting on a Note 8 to be released.  The Galaxy S8+ is close to what the Note 7 was size wise but it doesn't have a stylus.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

2 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Don't make in fr though. Good find too

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

There are features ove a plain S7, the store rep was just not educated.

Actually, other than having a larger screen and being slightly larger the other differences between the two devices are purely cosmetic, that is, how they look.  For example, they have the same processors, same RAM, same screen resolution and same camera.

Spec comparison of S7 and S7 Edge

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

.4" larger screen, curved edged with edge displays and apps, even magazine reports can be short of comparisons.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Ok guys, thanks for all of the comments. I went to a Verizon Retailer and to Costco today fully intending to switch to the s7 edge (I was told the edge does have a slightly better battery life but nobody was able to tell me why). After comparing it to the S8 at both locations I walked out of Costco with a new s8. Not the S8+, just the 8 (don't really need the slightly bigger screen and besides it's to long to fit in my cargo pants pocket that I normally wear LOL!!).

The reason for the change of heart, well it was only $3 or $4 more per month between the two (zero interest so why not) and the s8 has a slightly better camera which is important to me so I couldn't resist. I did have them put on the liquid glass and a case. Costco throws in a couple extra chargers and a portable battery pack which made it a better deal than the Verizon Retailer plus they have a little better return policy (not that I'm concerned about that.

Anyway I wanted to check back in about my choice and to thank you all for all the comments.

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

Congrats HD.Welcome to the Updated New World. lol
It's funny how another company can have it cheaper then the Network company. When i got my S7 Vz had a "Deal" that
for 24 months only paid $15 a month for it instead of the 30$ it was charging. 0 interest. I also went down to the 2gb plan with the "rollover". As i'm always connected to some wifi, so the data is barely used.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Archived