Trailer tires?

Kirk W

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Endurance is so new that I doubt anyone has had all that much experience with them and there has been enough time to establish a track record. If your rims can handle 65psi, the Kumho 857 previously mentioned has a long track record, Load Range D rating and 99MPH speed rating. These are basically commercial tires used on European style delivery vans made available for trailer use in the USA. The 195/R14C is a good replacement for the ST205/75R/14. I had them on the previous trailer and put 20,000 miles on them in 2 years and they were in good condition when I sold the trailer. In ST tires Maxxis and the Carlyle Radial Trail both have good reputations. The Carlyles have an 87MPH speed rating compared to the 65MPH rating of most ST tires. I have had both and had good service from both. I would suggest that you search some websites with more travel trailer owners than participate in this forum.

Edited by trailertraveler

I was all set to get Maxxis on our previous trailer when Discount Tires talked me into Carlisle Radial Tires at a much better price--and they sell both. I kicked myself after going with Carlisle for getting suckered into a good deal. But I must admit they were a really good tire and never gave me any problems. When I need tires on my current trailer I will go with them.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, gjhunter01 said:

Radial tires will delaminate and peel like an onion, which during the peeling process at highway speeds will flop around and smack the trailer many times, like beating it with a 2X4 board. Everyone has seen the delaminated tire strips laying along the road sides, truckers call them alligators on the road. Bias tires will delaminate in chunks, much like a orange being peeled which can be less destructive to the vehicle/trailer. Before radial tires became common, all trailer tires were bias.

Greg

Curious why radial tires designed for use on TT's or 5th wheels would be more prone to delamination (tread peel-off) than those of the same size on smaller compact cars?  Most of the tire shreds we see on the roads are from commercial trucks since they often do retreads.  It's quite rare to here about this happening on our cars and trucks. 

Great, timely thread.  We just purchased a used 2015 TT and I will likely be wanting to replace the OEM tires before too long.

Edited by freestoneangler

2 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

Curious why radial tires designed for use on TT's or 5th wheels would be more prone to delamination (tread peel-off) than those of the same size on smaller compact cars?  Most of the tire shreds we see on the roads are from commercial trucks since they often do retreads.  It's quite rare to here about this happening on our cars and trucks.

Good question, from what I understand is the trailer tires are subjected to much higher abuse than car tires. They usually run with max loads, max PSI, tires slide in turns, and don't get the benefit of car suspension when hitting potholes and curbs. Car tires don't see the heat that trailer tires are exposed too. Not all tire shreds are retreads. Also, a car driver would be aware of a tire delamination in it's early stages, whereas a tire delamination on a trailer could go unnoticed for miles until total failure. It's a good reason to visually inspect your trailer tires at every stop.

If you plan to travel more than 20k miles, I would still suggest radial tires.

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01

I just did a search on both the TT and General forums about the topic of using LT vs. ST tires and did not find any threads. This seems to be a very hot topic/debate with no clear, irrefutable answer.  Certainly many opinions - such as this one from another site.

"This LT vs ST tire argument will go on forever. Those who promote using ST tires have probably never tried a set of the "others". I haven't had any problems with or because of my LT tires. How many stories have you read about major damage or the infamous "2 blowouts" in one day from someone using LT tires? I will never have anything but LT tires on my rig. You can choose whatever you want...That's my story and I'm sticking to it..Don"

Has anyone else on the forum opted to change to LT series tires that meet the load rating requirements of the OEM ST tires?  If so, what has been your experience with them?  Also, does anyone know of any TT or 5th wheel mfg.'s that use LT tires as original equipment?

3 minutes ago, freestoneangler said:

I just did a search on both the TT and General forums about the topic of using LT vs. ST tires and did not find any threads. This seems to be a very hot topic/debate with no clear, irrefutable answer.  Certainly many opinions - such as this one from another site.

"This LT vs ST tire argument will go on forever. Those who promote using ST tires have probably never tried a set of the "others". I haven't had any problems with or because of my LT tires. How many stories have you read about major damage or the infamous "2 blowouts" in one day from someone using LT tires? I will never have anything but LT tires on my rig. You can choose whatever you want...That's my story and I'm sticking to it..Don"

Has anyone else on the forum opted to change to LT series tires that meet the load rating requirements of the OEM ST tires?  If so, what has been your experience with them?  Also, does anyone know of any TT or 5th wheel mfg.'s that use LT tires as original equipment?

I can't answer your specific question but as a tire engineer there are some things I can comment on.

First if considering the change you need to recognize that to get a comparable load capacity in LT type you will need to change size and this may even require a change in wheels.

Larger LT may or may not fit in the wheel well of the TT

You will need to confirm your actual loaded weight and collect many measurements to ensure proper clearance.

I have read comments on some other RV forums where people have done the work and made the change and were pleased.

There are some advantages to making some changes as it might give you many more choices of tire brands.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

Our Teton came with LT tires.  We have owned a number of 5ers after buying our first in 1988.  I have had experience with both LT and ST tires and I avoid ST tires. I won't own another set. We have been using Michelin XPS Rib LT tires and we are on our 3rd set.  The XPS Ribs have never failed us.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

• 2 weeks later...

Our StarCraft cam with Power King Tow Max STR II radials.  I just noticed the spare, same brand/model is a 14" instead of the 15" on the axles.  I missed this at the purchase/delivery.  Speaking with the RV outfit, they said it was not uncommon to have a smaller spare... what... does this sound correct to you?  I said that concerned me and they offered to replace it, but we're almost 4 hours drive away. Still need to work this out. 

I'm not seeing much good or bad press about these tires.  If I end up buying another rim and tire, I feel like it should be the same brand/series... but perhaps buy a better tire and match the eventual replacements to that....thoughts?

21 minutes ago, freestoneangler said:

Our StarCraft cam with Power King Tow Max STR II radials.  I just noticed the spare, same brand/model is a 14" instead of the 15" on the axles.  I missed this at the purchase/delivery.  Speaking with the RV outfit, they said it was not uncommon to have a smaller spare... what... does this sound correct to you?  I said that concerned me and they offered to replace it, but we're almost 4 hours drive away. Still need to work this out. 

I'm not seeing much good or bad press about these tires.  If I end up buying another rim and tire, I feel like it should be the same brand/series... but perhaps buy a better tire and match the eventual replacements to that....thoughts?

Does your tire placard show the size of the spare?  It should show the GAWR and the rated capacity of the supplied tires must, by law be able to support the stated GAWR. Even though you didn't state the tire sizes involved,  I seriously doubt that a 14" can carry the same load as your OE 15". If your dealer wants to claim that everything is OK ask for a statement in writing on company letterhead that the supplied spare is capable of supporting at least 1/2  the GAWR.

You also need to file a complaint with NHTSA as IMO this could result in a recall by Starcraft and free replacement wheel & tire.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

We had our first blow out last week on I-40 in AR. Our Fifth wheel has G rated tires and they were all different manufactures brands. I'm just not that particular about tires and after 5 years was way over due for the BO. My point is I used the spare tire which is 9 years old, E rated and only had 20 PSI to get me going. The next exit was 4 miles before I could get the tire aired to 95 PSI and it was another 20 miles to the next tire shop to get a new G rated tire back on the trailer. So any size/age spare is good to get you to the next tire store.

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01

If considering a change from ST to LT you CAN NOT simply change the type of tire as there is no LT of the same size and LR that carries the same load capacity as the ST type in that size and LR.

A switch to LT might be OK but you may need to change wheels as it is possible to exceed the max inflation rating of the OE wheels as many RV makers supply the lowest cost (lowest strength) wheel capable of holding the OE inflation.

14 minutes ago, gjhunter01 said:

We had our first blow out last week on I-40 in AR. Our Fifth wheel has G rated tires and they were all different manufactures brands. I'm just not that particular about tires and after 5 years was way over due for the BO. My point is I used the spare tire which is 9 years old, E rated and only had 20 PSI to get me going. The next exit was 4 miles before I could get the tire aired to 95 PSI and it was another 20 miles to the next tire shop to get a new G rated tire back on the trailer. So any size/age spare is good to get you to the next tire store.

Greg

E rated with 20 psi is essentially flat. Since it is the air that carries the load not the tire Your E wasn't a D. Wasn't a C, Wasn't a B and I doubt it would even match an "A" LR tire so you may have seriously damaged (zipper damage) that tire by running it.  Adding 95 psi air to the tire you ran flat put you in serious danger of having the tire explode just by inflating it. You could have been seriously injured.

Video of a damaged tire being inflated.

Was the BO due to an air leak?  What did your TPMS report just before the failure?

" So any size/age spare is good to get you to the next tire store. "  as long as it has air in it to start with....maybe

Edited by Tireman9

I didn't get any warning on the TireGuard system at all. In fact, we had stopped at a rest area 20 miles back and as usual, I walked around and checked each tire by running my hands over the tread and all the tires were fine. I agree running a tire with 20 psi is not good, but getting off the I-40 shoulder was a higher priority for me at the time, and I stand by that decision as the best made at the time. I had also planned that if the spare tire were to blow, that I would just drag the camper on the cheap spare steel rim to the tire shop anyway. I treat a spare tire as a means to get me to the next tire shop, same as most donut car tires.

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01

7 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I didn't get any warning on the TireGuard system at all. In fact, we had stopped at a rest area 20 miles back and as usual, I walked around and checked each tire by running my hands over the tread and all the tires were fine. 

Greg

Actually "running your hands over the tread" doesn't tell much of anything about a tire's condition.  Most blow outs occur on the sidewall not the face.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

8 hours ago, Tireman9 said:

If your dealer wants to claim that everything is OK ask for a statement in writing on company letterhead that the supplied spare is capable of supporting at least 1/2  the GAWR.

Either that or supply a new tire and wheel. You may have to either pick it up or pay for shipping of it, but I'd not travel with a smaller spare. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Tireman9 said:

Does your tire placard show the size of the spare?  It should show the GAWR and the rated capacity of the supplied tires must, by law be able to support the stated GAWR. Even though you didn't state the tire sizes involved,  I seriously doubt that a 14" can carry the same load as your OE 15". If your dealer wants to claim that everything is OK ask for a statement in writing on company letterhead that the supplied spare is capable of supporting at least 1/2  the GAWR.

You also need to file a complaint with NHTSA as IMO this could result in a recall by Starcraft and free replacement wheel & tire.

52 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Either that or supply a new tire and wheel. You may have to either pick it up or pay for shipping of it, but I'd not travel with a smaller spare. 

Tireman9 and Kirk,

If this post by freestoneangler is about the same trailer:

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, freestoneangler said:

...The used TT we just purchased...

The manufacturer may not have had anything to do with the difference in size of the tires on the trailer and the size of the spare.

Edited by trailertraveler

11 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I didn't get any warning on the TireGuard system at all. In fact, we had stopped at a rest area 20 miles back and as usual, I walked around and checked each tire by running my hands over the tread and all the tires were fine. I agree running a tire with 20 psi is not good, but getting off the I-40 shoulder was a higher priority for me at the time, and I stand by that decision as the best made at the time. I had also planned that if the spare tire were to blow, that I would just drag the camper on the cheap spare steel rim to the tire shop anyway. I treat a spare tire as a means to get me to the next tire shop, same as most donut car tires.

Greg

OK, Helpful information. Since your TPMS didn't provide any warning then the failure was probably a "Belt/tread separation". If I was able to inspect the tire I could provide an expert opinion with 99% confidence depending on how much damage was done to the tire after you learned of the failure. TPMS do not provide warning of that condition as that is not their purpose. It is however many times possible to discover an incipient belt separation by doing a "Free Spin" inspection as covered in detail with video on my RV tire blog. The 20 psi in your spare suggests that the air hadn't been checked in many months (years?). This can be a reminder that failing to check the air in any spare tire could leave you on the roadside with effectively no spare if the spare was at ZERO psi. In this case it just meant that you had done significant structural damage to the tire by driving on it with only 20 psi when you need 95.

RE "Dounut" spare tires. You may not realize that they are specifically designed to provide almost equal steering and braking response asa your regular ground tires as long as they are inflated to their designed 60 psi. In fact I know that GM even did a test on a Corvette with 4 "dounut" tires and it provided almost 90% of the performance of the street tires except for max acceleration.

2 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Tireman9 and Kirk,

If this post by freestoneangler is about the same trailer:

The manufacturer may not have had anything to do with the difference in size of the tires on the trailer and the size of the spare.

If the TT was used then the RV MFG may not have a responsibility but the selling dealer does have a responsibility to sell a safe vehicle. Having under-sized spare is not IMO a safe vehicle. What sizes are we talking about Freestoneangler?

2 hours ago, Tireman9 said:

If the TT was used then the RV MFG may not have a responsibility but the selling dealer does have a responsibility to sell a safe vehicle. Having under-sized spare is not IMO a safe vehicle. What sizes are we talking about Freestoneangler?

Sounds like the dealer did offer a replacement the spare.

14 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

...Speaking with the RV outfit...I said that concerned me and they offered to replace it, but we're almost 4 hours drive away. Still need to work this out...

17 hours ago, Tireman9 said:

Great call Tireman9.  Indeed the tire sticker/placard shows ST205/75R15 for axles and spare.  I spoke with StarCraft and they provide these TT's as delivered with that size tire.  Either the previous owner had an issue and changed it out or the RV outfit is on the hook.  Either way, that is something that needs to be reconciled... only wish I had caught this at checkout.

I do note that these Power King tires are "made in China".  More reading on various forums may have these in the "tire bomb" group?   They are DOT 83B3 GPB 0714 DY.  Outwardly they look fine, but as I mentioned in another post, the trailer does not appear to have had too many miles put on it.  Guess I'll just keep a close vigil, keep my speed to 65 mph, and wait to hear which tires Kirk ends up buying before getting replacements :D.

Looking at the OEM tire type/load chart placard got me to wondering about the legality of not using an ST series tire.  If one opted to change to LT series for instance, and the RV was in an accident, might not having the specified tires installed be one of those "minor little details" an insurance company and/or lawyers use against you... even if you had equal to or better load rating? :unsure:

Kirk...personally I have had terrible results with ST tires 3 out 4 failed in a year. I like the Michelin xpribs as well as Hankook lt tires. Goodyears are good as well.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Been watching this thread for awhile. Very hard to give answers without knowing the trailer’s actual tires specs. But I can answer some of the questions with hypothetical analogies.

I looked at the current specs for 19” KZ TTs.  Some are 3500# GVWR and others are 4000# GVWR. Some have 14” tires and others have 15” tires. 

Tire fitments are not at the whim of the trailer builder. They must be appropriate for each GAWR. The specific information can be found on the trailer’s federal certification label. Tire placard and in the vehicle owner’s manual. The certification label has a standard physical location on trailers. It’s onj the LH forward external section of the trailer. Normally the tire placard will also be displayed in the same location. 

The tire size (s)  listed on the certification label must be the same size as those installed on the trailer at the time of first sale. Those Original Equipment (OE) tires set the standard for all subsequent replacements. Industry standards require replacement tires to have a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires.

It is often very difficult the use replacement tires for ST tires in the 14” - 15” diameter range with tires from another design (P/LT). Even if some are found that will work the tire industry frowns on such applications and may void all warranty coverage for such fitments. Most trailer owner’s manuals will have a canned statement such as this;  “To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size
recommended by the manufacturer.”

Another problem with 14” & 15” tires is the wheel/rim load and psi limits. Trailers with that sized tires are often built very close to the specs to keep costs low. Therefore, a LRD tire of the same size as an OE LRC tire might exceed the OE wheel/rim assembly’s  load and/or PSI limits.

ST tires work well when properly maintained and operated within their design specifications. However, like other highway tires they need load capacity reserves to offset degrading. Unlike other DOT highway tires, load capacity reserves are not factored into the fitment equation for RV trailer tires. 

Brands? What works for the goose may not work for the gander. 

If an owner does not, at least once in awhile, find out what each tire is carrying, load wise, brands wont make a difference. One might last a little longer than another but in the end the overloaded tire is going to fail.

Best fitments? Go up a load range and air all tires to the recommended sidewall pressures. 

Edited by TireHobby

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired