Trailer tires?

Kirk W

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Size is important and more importantly load carrying capacity. 

If the size and loads allow then...

Maxxis, is a proven good brand for ST(Special Trailer) tires. 

There is only 1 Special Trailer tire that is manufactured in America - The Goodyear Endurance Model. (Tire Sizes/Specifications for Endurance) It is brand new and just recently released. It is speed rated at 87 mph. 

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I would check with a couple of large retail tire stores (Discount Tire) and see what they recommend based on your usage and their price. Then I would search the internet to see what the actual user reviews show. It's getting harder to find USA made tires, not all off shore tires are bad. The 14" used to be a common tire size 20 years ago for autos, harder to find now. If you are going to haul less than 20k miles, I would consider some cheap bias ply tires and eliminate the radial tire issue of delamination which can destroy a camper side.

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01

For that size rim you are going to be limited on tires. I have found that in the 14 and 15 in tire sizes the choices are very limited. After 16 in you can move up to a LT tire . I only know you though the forums but I'm guessing that your tow habits are.... to be under max load and your speed at or under 65 MPH .

If this is the case then I would say the Goodyear marathons would be a suitable replacement .

In the words of my tire dealer cousin " all ST tires are pretty much junk but the Marathons are the best of the junk".

I'm sure others will have a differing opinion

5 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

If you are going to haul less than 20k miles, I would consider some cheap bias ply tires and eliminate the radial tire issue of delamination which can destroy a camper side.

Greg

How do radial tires delaminate the camper?

Cheers,
Ken

Edited by SecondWind

9 hours ago, TreyandSusan said:

Size is important and more importantly load carrying capacity. 

If the size and loads allow then...

Maxxis, is a proven good brand for ST(Special Trailer) tires. 

There is only 1 Special Trailer tire that is manufactured in America - The Goodyear Endurance Model. (Tire Sizes/Specifications for Endurance) It is brand new and just recently released. It is speed rated at 87 mph. 

Thanks! That is exactly the sort of information that I was looking for. I have not been in the trailer market for a long time and for that reason am seeking opinions and experience from those who are. I plan to look at both of those tires. Our trailer weighs in at just under 4000# when fully loaded and is within 100# of equal weight on either side. Hooked up, we have about 1700# on each tire.

2 hours ago, Tex Bigfoot said:

I only know you though the forums but I'm guessing that your tow habits are.... to be under max load and your speed at or under 65 MPH .

You guess pretty well. I have found that my truck gets best fuel mileage at about 60 mph when towing and that is where I operate nearly all of the time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As already mentioned, only one ST trailer tire is manufactured in the USA. There are brands manufactured in countries other than China. Maxxis is one of them and they have a pretty good reputation. The Carlisle Radial Trail has developed a pretty good reputation since its introduction in about 2010 and is speed rated to 87MPH. If you stick with 14" tires, I don't think you will find an LT tire with the load capacity you want or need. As mentioned, tire diameter can be an issue. Depending on the size of the wheel well, tire width may also be an issue. With a single axle trailer, you will not have to worry about the distance between the axles/tires. You may be able find a metric size tire like the Kumho 857 that will meet your needs. They are speed rated to 99MPH. Not sure what sizes are still available in the Michelin Agilis line, If you switch to 15" rims, you will have a few more choices, but still not as many as in the 16" and larger tires.

4 hours ago, SecondWind said:

How do radial tires delaminate the camper?

Cheers,
Ken

Radial tires will delaminate and peel like an onion, which during the peeling process at highway speeds will flop around and smack the trailer many times, like beating it with a 2X4 board. Everyone has seen the delaminated tire strips laying along the road sides, truckers call them alligators on the road. Bias tires will delaminate in chunks, much like a orange being peeled which can be less destructive to the vehicle/trailer. Before radial tires became common, all trailer tires were bias.

Greg

I did not know about these tires The Goodyear Endurance Model and they sound like what I have been looking for as a replacement tire in 15in size .So the form comes through again.

Kirk

I would look seriously at these. While the marathons would meet your criteria  these  if they live up to the specs will surpass your needs and give another margin of safety.

ill be needing to replace my tires next year and plan to look at these very close

This DOT tire code webpage is only useful when you actually view the tire, but it shows where virtually all tires are made. http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-dot-plant-codes-sorted-plant-code/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

This is my first post on this forum.   The 14inch trailer tire problem is one I have researched thoroughly.  I purchased a 7 year old travel trailer that had the original 14 inch tires.  I will not run any trailer tire more than 5 years old. I replaced the tires immediately before towing the trailer anywhere. Of those 4 new Chinese tires, 3 failed within 2 years. All the tires I looked at that were not made in China do not have the load capacity needed.  In my research I finally found 2 tire brands not made in China that will carry the load. As mentioned above the Kumho 857 is one and the other is a Hankook RA08. These are 8 ply (load range d) 65psi tires that will likely require new wheels since most 14 inch wheels are only rated for 50psi. These tires also have a 99mph speed rating. At least I feel that I am now towing safely.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/hankook/product/byName.do?tmn=RA08&typ=Truck%2FSUV

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire/category/truck-suv/7EAB87AD-62DC-4D82-897E-E59335DE416C

I couldn't find the Kumho tires in Northern Nevada. Discount tires did order them and install them for me. I found the higher capacity wheels at www.etrailer.com.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 10:32 PM, Kirk Wood said:

Our travel trailer is due for a new pair of shoes. Anyone have tire brand, model suggestions or ones to avoid?

In addition we really need to know the actual load on axle, There are some options in 14" but need to know loading.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

7 hours ago, Tireman9 said:

In addition we really need to know the actual load on axle, There are some options in 14" but need to know loading.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:25 AM, Kirk Wood said:

...Our trailer weighs in at just under 4000# when fully loaded and is within 100# of equal weight on either side. Hooked up, we have about 1700# on each tire...