Replacing Fridge

After last week (truck broke, wife falling and breaking her wrist) now my fridge is failing........ I have a Norcold and there was an error light for the heater element and it was starting to warm up. I switched it to propane and figured I would fix it when I got to Minnesota. Well, this morning with the propane on all night the freezer will barely freeze water and the box is at 50*. Anyone have any ideas that may help get me through the next week til I get to Minnesota? I can get a residential fridge in Little Rock, AR. The only issue I have is my fridge sits over the furnace so the bottom is 16" from the floor. The new one would be 60" tall, so it may be an issue for my wife since she stands 5'3". Anybody have any tips for me to install a residential fridge in place of the original? If I get a new one it will sit on the floor until I am parked in Mn.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

If the Norcold is in the same place, there should be no difference in access to it. We have a Whirlpool that is also 60" tall and sits over the heater, no problem is getting in the freezer. Be sure to secure the base before travel it could shift. Best move we have made. You might also go to Wally and get a remote sender and readout for temp monitoring while traveling.

Jim

....The only issue I have is my fridge sits over the furnace so the bottom is 16" from the floor. The new one would be 60" tall, so it may be an issue for my wife since she stands 5'3"....

My wife just calls me when she needs something from the upper part of the fridge - problem solved!

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Tom, you can always buy some dry ice to keep the box cold until you get back to Minnesota. Then take your time and install a residential fridge. I have a thread on another forum that details moderately well my conversion process:  http://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/converting-residential-fridge-7515/

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Since my wife and I are both the same height, we carry a small plastic stool for when we need to get to the back of the top shelf in our residential fridge.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Well, we went to Little Rock and picked up a 9.9 cu ft fridge. Now she is thinking I should fix the Norcold and keep the residential one. I looked at the price of a new absorption unit and they are running from $585 plus $50 shipping on up. I did find a used one for $750. I really want to install the residential, but she wants another trailer and thinks it would be better to have it original....... I am not going to decide for a few weeks. 

VisitedStatesMap.gif

15 hours ago, Mntom said:

Well, we went to Little Rock and picked up a 9.9 cu ft fridge. Now she is thinking I should fix the Norcold and keep the residential one. I looked at the price of a new absorption unit and they are running from $585 plus $50 shipping on up. I did find a used one for $750. I really want to install the residential, but she wants another trailer and thinks it would be better to have it original....... I am not going to decide for a few weeks. 

That is exactly what we did when our RV refrigerator failed. While the residential refrigerator can be a good choice for some RV users, I suspect that it would not sell well in the RV market for the younger, weekend campers because of the need for some electricity source. We could easily get by with a residential one with our current travel style as we almost never dry camp and so have electricity each night, but those who are fishermen and hunters would not have that availability. Part if the question is also whether or not the cheaper route would affect the trade-in value of your present RV if you do trade up.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yea, that's one of the dilemmas. We are planning to upgrade, but in reality this 11 year old 28' cheaper trailer isn't going to get us much on trade in. I am still going to fool with the fridge that is there to see if it is something simple like a clogged flue. The campground I am in hasn't said anything about me trying to troubleshoot it, but I don't think they will let me go much further. It acts the same on electric or propane so I am not sure what is going on.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived