Goose Neck

Broncohauler

Depends on the weight of the trailer, length of haul, and road surface conditions. TrailerSaver has a ball mount that replaces the Binkley head. Remove the bolt the Binkley pivots on, lift the 5th wheel hitch out, replace with the ball mount, and re-insert the pivot bolt. If it's a light tow, under good conditions, I'd be tempted to drill the hole to mount a ball. I'd also add as big a washer as I could find, to reenforce the bag mount surface on the hitch.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Broncohauler - sometimes "gooseneck" trailers have a post with a king pin. They are normally easy to remove from the upper part and swap to a different trailer. They have pinch bolts like big set screws and sometimes pins...

Maybe a local trailer dealer can lend you one so you can hook up to your fifth wheel without trying to set up a ball on the Broncohauler? 

kingpin goose.jpg

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

If this is a one-shot deal, I would say don't hit the air bags when you drill. If you want to have the option to pull a gooseneck with all the correct equipment then do this http://www.trailersaver.com/parts-and-accessories/  About half way down.  Click the pic, $130.

Most gooseneck use a 2-5/16 ball.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

A problem you may run into is that the ball mount may be to high if placed on the TS hitch. I have my horse trailers converted to 5th wheel instead of a ball and I had to shorten the trailer hitch post on the trailer and the insert with the 5th wheel pin to get the trailer level.

A temporary ball mounted behind the Binkley head may be low enough.

For a short distance that may not be an issue.

another is that there may be a spot that you can temporarily mount the 2and5/16 ball that is low enough and not worry about the trailer saver hitch for such a short and slow tow such as a parade.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

It might be possible to remove the trailer saver  and drill a hole in the plate under it if nothing else works.  Typically the plate is 1/2" or thicker and that may provide the most secure mount and it should be close to the proper height.  Most goose neck trailers have adjustable height hitches but some only offer limited movement.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

3 hours ago, Randyretired said:

It might be possible to remove the trailer saver  and drill a hole in the plate under it if nothing else works.  Typically the plate is 1/2" or thicker and that may provide the most secure mount and it should be close to the proper height.  Most goose neck trailers have adjustable height hitches but some only offer limited movement.

As a last resort that's a great idea. 

And yes it's a 1/2 inch plate underneath 

6 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If this is a one-shot deal, I would say don't hit the air bags when you drill. If you want to have the option to pull a gooseneck with all the correct equipment then do this http://www.trailersaver.com/parts-and-accessories/  About half way down.  Click the pic, $130.

Most gooseneck use a 2-5/16 ball.

That's not all that bad a price. 

It would be worth having just to make my truck  even more versatile in the future. 

6 hours ago, noteven said:

Broncohauler - sometimes "gooseneck" trailers have a post with a king pin. They are normally easy to remove from the upper part and swap to a different trailer. They have pinch bolts like big set screws and sometimes pins...

Maybe a local trailer dealer can lend you one so you can hook up to your fifth wheel without trying to set up a ball on the Broncohauler? 

kingpin goose.jpg

That may be an option. 

I have a friend who put a pin on his goose neck dump trailer that I know he would loan me. 

Charlie,

You might find a trailer dealer locally who would loan you the appropriate trailer with his advertising on the side. He may have the right hitch in stock?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

57 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Charlie,

You might find a trailer dealer locally who would loan you the appropriate trailer with his advertising on the side. He may have the right hitch in stock?

That's our first shot. We have one local with new owners so I'm hoping they would like to help out a preschool and get some free advertising at the same time. 

Go go easy on me Phil I said your magic word I know, but there's nothing in it for me or my family, we're just helping out the preschool for free and the kids love it. ?

I have a flatbed trailer and I have converted the gooseneck/ball with a 5th wheel pin.  Works great.  Only issue I have is the neck is a little long and with the maximum adjustment the trailer still rides a little high in the front and not perfectly level (but not enough that I was willing to rip it all apart and weld in a new pipe to hold the kingpin adapter).

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Archived