Slides

Bob Cochran

My Keystone Fuzion uses cable instead of hydraulics for the slides.

Problem after getting back home last time opened slide it stopped just short of full open. Did not look cocked or anything but decide if it was maybe bringing it in would get things going again.

Wrong about 6 inches from full closed stopped. Now will not move in or out at all. I don't see anything blocking it. Looks straight, all cable looks OK. 

Only thing on one side at top where turns to go vertical down the side of the slide in a metal trough the 2 cables looks maybe twisted. Not completely not straight like the other side.

I tried taking screws out of trough which also hold rubber seal to look inside. No go without messing up trough pretty bad. 

Thoughts, have you had it happen, fix ? Hydraulic have experience. Cable not for 50 years ago on aircraft controls.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

A lot of these motors operate on resistance. When it hits the end of travel, resistance goes up & motor shuts off. Yours may be getting weak, some of these type can be adjusted similar to a garage door stop.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Good idea to look into. The cables are really taught and you would tend to think it is pulling hard enough. Problem would be pulling hard enough but not so much to burn up the motor. I have no climbed up to see if there is an adjustment though. 

I think what you are talking about is like a popping kind of ratchet slipping. If there is an adjust afraid to touch for fear of burning up motor like I said above. 

My first thought is to somehow see if cable has came of a pulley I cannot see. Those I can see look fine. Those on the vertical side and afraid going to ruin the metal trough they are in to get them by bending trough out of the way.

A problem but isn't that always the way with our RV's it cannot be the easy stuff easy to get to! ☺

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Unless this is an unusual slide motor setup you shouldn't have to worry about burning up the motor.  The slideouts I am familiar with have current sensors which stop the power to the motor when the load gets heavy.  There is NO switch at the "out" or "in" position of the slideout. When the load on the motor gets heavy at the end of the travel the power to the motor is cut off.  This heavy load would only "normally" occur at the end of the travel.

The Kiwi auto steps work this way as well.  That is why you see many complaints that the step doesn't retract all the way when the pivot points need to be lubed.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Good to hear I will look for away to perhaps adjust so motor will pull harder. Still don't want to damage any pullies or break a cable. If say the cable is off a pulley jammed some it is not going to move until that is resolved. Thanks all so far for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

You might try to push in or out as the case may be while someone operates the switch and see if you can help the motor.  You may have something off track.  If it is the Accuslide system here is the service manual http://www.openrangeowners.com/ORforum/download/file.php?id=984  Here is an adjustment video: http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/video/video.htm

And yes the motors are thermal switched, if the motor gets to hot it will turn itself off for a little bit 15 seconds or so.  But is you continue to hold the switch too long after the end of travel you have a tendency to break gears in the motor gearbox.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Thanks for the information should prove handy. At this point looks like the gear box maybe at fault. Have ordered a new gear box and a new motor. The reason for the motor is maybe the motor put on excessive strain and just in case. Those 2 items are expensive and for sure keep old motor for a spare. The gear box seems to me about $260 something rattling inside that does not seem right and motor around $96 I don't have my notes with me. If replacing does not fix will be a expensive learning experience. 

Someone said there maybe an adjustment so the gear box does not slip as soon. A note there was no such adjustment anywhere on gear box or motor I could find.

Archived