I-84 in Utah, from Ogden to Echo Reservoir

Jim & Alice

Anyone know much about the 40-mile I-84 stretch from Ogden UT to I-80 at Echo Reservoir?   Any significant grades? (Mountain Directory West shows none) I have driven the I-80 stretch from Salt Lake City to Echo Reservoir (and beyond to Wyoming), but doing a little map reading... and this I-84 stretch popped out as perhaps a preferable alternative to I-80 / Parley's Summit grade.

Anyone been thru there? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim LaPeer 

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

It has been a few years since going through there. I prefer 84 rather than going through SL. I do not remember any hard pulls, but my HDT is not bothered by most pulls. 

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

Thanks, scubadave.   Appreciate the comment.

I'm trying to fine tune a route here that we seem to find ourselves traveling a couple times a year.   I-80 east of Salt Lake seems to be quite busy with trucks, which combined with the up/down grades can be a headache.

Thanks,

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• 2 weeks later...

Here's closure on this question.

We traveled I-84 from US-89 (Ogden) to I-80.   We found less truck traffic congestion, a more steady gentle grade (avoided parley's Summit), and a more scenic drive to boot.

We're changing our route to I-84 when traveling E-W thru Salt Lake City from here on.

2007 Dolphin

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the update Jim. I plan to pass that way this summer and you've confirmed my choice to use I-84 vs I-80. I'll be coming from the east on Hwy 40 and didn't want to go through Salt Lake anyway. 

-andy

Andy Commons

Missoula, Montana

08' Yukon Denali pulling a
2017 Keystone Passport 238MLWE

I live nearby. I-84 from Ogden to Echo is pretty darned flat -- it follows the Weber River through the Wasatch Mountains, whereas I-80 goes over them via Parley's Summit. All other things being equal, I-84 is a much easier crossing.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

Archived