Stainless Steel Hose

Yarome

Completely new to me, but has anyone seen these or actually own one? Made out of 304 stainless and supposed to be nearly indestructible. They are wanting around $40 for 50', which doesn't seem too steep if it does what it's supposed to. 5.5lbs.  

Have only seen the advertisement, but didn't check for availability. Sounds like a good idea, but it's going to be heavy I expect. Watching , 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

What I don't see there is any statement that it is of "food grade" materials. Even CW is calling it a garden hose? Looking at the manufacturer's website, it doesn't even address using it for potable water. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

What I don't see there is any statement that it is of "food grade" materials.

If it's only 304 with no additional materials then it might likely be. 304 stainless is the most common material used to produce stainless steel cookware. Usually referring to 18/8 or 18/10 grade stainless. Either which is considered "food grade".

It would be interesting to see what the manufacturer has to say. Maybe they thought stating that it was 304 it would be "understood" it's usable for potable water. I Dunno. I hadn't thought that far. I was just curious about the concept of a stainless steel hose. ;)

I am a big fan of the Armadillo Hose... Been using one since last fall; worked great in winter. The metal shell allows one to simply run some heat-wire down the length of the hose and wrap it in foam insulation without fear of melting the hose. Made in USA and safe to drink from. Not cheap, but worthwhile, so far.

http://www.armadillohoseproducts.com/

They have several varieties, but they are all mostly the same. If you have any questions, give them a call. I spoke to one of their engineers, and he was really helpful.

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

15 hours ago, Yarome said:

Sorry. Stainless steel garden water hose. Had no idea stainless steel hoses were common in the racing world.. and talking 50' and RV's thought it would be assumed I was talking about a garden/water hose. :P 

CW must have changed something since you posted that link. I get a "SKU not found".

I found it on Amazon, with review by users. Apparently it can be crushed, which is permanent, according to one review, another says it can be frozen without harm. I haven't found anything explaining what is material the inner liner, which is the waterproof part, the SST exterior is simply a spiral covering.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I haven't found anything explaining what is material the inner liner, which is the waterproof part, the SST exterior is simply a spiral covering.

It looks as though it is made very much like the armored electrical cable. 

4fc35289-3d8d-4cf6-a294-32b3475bd6d8_100

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Specifically the Armadillo hose... their website says the following about the inner hose:

nylon reinforced NSF-61 Certified inner hose

and

NSF-61 Certified Drink Safe

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

3 minutes ago, cwr said:

Specifically the Armadillo hose... their website says the following about the inner hose:

nylon reinforced NSF-61 Certified inner hose

and

NSF-61 Certified Drink Safe

That's fine BUT the "As Seen On TV" hose isn't an Armadillo Hose.  The Chinese could use anything!

13 hours ago, mohamer said:

I could see the stainless covering if running a couple thousand PSI.

I can also foresee it withstanding a weed-whacker used by the kid hired for that job. I'm still on the fence about buying one.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Hmm , let's see : It's been 7 years and never had to buy a new hose because of a weed whacker ... or any other reason . I can coil that same 7 year old hose into a 12" wide compartment without any kinks and I don't have to worry about crushing it , ever . 

Remind me again why I'd have even the slightest interest in a steel coated hose ?  Let alone experience the discomfort of straddling a fence about it . 

Goes around , comes around .

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I inspected one at the local Menards store. That one has the California warning about cancer causing chemicals being used during manufacturing.

Archived